“Fine for a cheap one night stay”
Review of Ruxley Rooms

Ruxley Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Sidcup B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

What a strange place. Difficult to find in the dark. Had to ring and then found we were parked opposite. A lit sign would make all the difference. First impression was ok. Everywhere, including the shared bathroom seemed clean, and we were dealt with pleasantly by the landlady. We had booked knowing we had no en suite and this was not a problem. But when you look closely you see that everything seems to be botched. None of the doors fit, strange wall partitions, wall corners with big gaps on the flooring. Breakfast was just cereal and toast, spread and value jam. The family were not intrusive. Best thing about it was the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gingerpeps
There are newer reviews for Ruxley Rooms

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Not my cup of tea, but rather than be negative about the place I can, however, appreciate the benefits for other types of traveller. For example, this is a very cheap place to stay at short notice that’s in easy reach of London. You can pay ten times the price for a more central location if booked with just a couple of days’ grace. This ‘hotel’ is great, therefore, for trades people on the hop or travellers on a tight budget. Can’t go wrong with these prices. And breakfast is included, for goodness sake.

Difficult to find in the dark. According to the satnav I knew I was in the right area, but it took a little detective work and 15mph driving to locate the place. Still, it was free off-road parking.

Rooms are tidy, clean and airy. There’s a tv, cupboard and wardrobe space, and tea/coffee-making facilities provided. Beds are comfortable and have clean linen. A little noisy being close to a major artery, and the radiators get red hot, but apart from that a reasonable night’s sleep.

Alas, there is much of a communal spirit here, and so toilets and bathrooms are for sharing for those who don’t have their own en suite – I didn’t read the small print. Nonetheless, everywhere is washed and scrubbed to a high standard. And the shower cubicle is very spacious.

I didn’t stop for breakfast, so can’t comment on quality of food. Nonetheless, there seemed to be a reasonable choice on offer, although again the communal thing wouldn’t have appealed had I eaten here – i.e. everybody sat around the same large oval table together.

The proprietor is a lovely lady who is obviously very proud of her business. It’s just not for me – but please do NOT let that put you off. I’m sure this will appeal to many, many others who may consider my viewpoints way off the mark.

Room Tip: Book an en suite whenever possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkN2010
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We just needed a place to stay the night on our way from London to Canterbury. Google maps didn't properly locate the property, but we found it by knocking on a random door at 11pm and were graciously pointed in the right direction. Some rooms might have shared bathrooms, but our room had its own bathroom. The room was fine. The bathroom was adequate and the shower was hot. The bed was comfortable. It wasn't luxury, but I wasn't expecting too much. The only aspect that fell well below my expectations was breakfast. All she served us was cereal, milk, OJ, tea, and sliced cheese and ham from the local supermarket. I was expecting a little more than cereal from a bed and breakfast. I don't think I'd stay here long term if I was planning on exploring London (it's a little far away) but it was adequate for a one night stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rooples
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very difficult to find even though it was adjacent to a large roundabout. Postcode left me a few hundred yards away and I only found it by asking a nearby resident. The phone number given by the booking site was not helpful. Nearly had to abandon attempt to find it.

Lady owner was very pleasant and friendly.

Room just about adequate.

Main problem was the shortage of toilet/bathroom facilities- had to wait ages to get access to the toilet- very unpleasant experience.

Breakfast was OK but as stated, served on a single long table.

I find the 5 star reviews bizarre!!
Cheap but I wish i had spent a litle more for a better place.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more- go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Well This place was ...different.

The rooms where fine although the cups and glasses for making tea and other drinks were dirty.
Breakfast was nice enough although the sasauges were a bit cold and it was just one big table so it was like the Waltons.
In fact if it only had an en-suite bathroom then this would have earned 3 stars however it didnt, instead there were 2 bathrooms at the end of the corridor.

Also the bathrooms my god... they where awful first of all one of the bathrooms had a clear door so if someone was waiting for the toliet outside they would be able to see you naked or on the loo! next to this door there was a nail on the wall and hanging off it a curtain I think the idea was you pulled it across when you wanted the loo or to shower,the other of which was folded neatly in the wardrobe in our room.
And the showers where disgusting it had all dirt and hairs near the plughole and around the rims.
the bath wasn't much better.
And they ran out of toilet roll and didn't replace it, we had to use tissues from our bedroom!
And the outside of the place looked like Steptoe's yard, and the one of the beds in our room must ahve been new as they had only half unwrapped it.

However despite this the lady who ran the place was fairly pleasant, it was a decent price for a stay, the rooms were adiquate,the beds were comfy and I slept well.

Overall wouldn't reccommened this place to most travellers unless they are fine with sharing toilets and need a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Donice
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed here with partner.
Got a lovely welcoming,by the landlady herself.
We were shown to our rooms by her relative which was ok, he did not speak much just pointed at the room...
Once in the room we had 1 double bed and 1 single bed baring in mind there was only two of us.
the windows were a bit out worn maybe.
We had a light which i thought was useful but when switched on we could see the millions on moths inside it which had not been cleaned out. :/ I hate moths.
was not too happy about sharing a bathroom but you get what you pay for i guess.
Toilet did not flush properly, their was no shampoo or bubble bath nor shower gel.
Only one towel between two people :/

Bed was comfy
breakfast was lovely,fresh orange juice, tea, coffee.

Only down side was we had breakfast with her son who was as moody as hell. and some random bloke who only pops in for breakfast.

When viewing this on line it really did look like a fab place but its impossible to find in the dark.
2nd of all its not on the satnav.

I am not sure if i would stay here again unless she gets her self organised and the rooms spic and span.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigspender2459
Reviewed 3 May 2013

When I booked this hotel, as usual i used Trip advisor. There were 4 reviews on there, two of which were for 1 star and two of which were for 5 Stars-very strange indeed. Having stayed there, I would be say the ! star reviews are the most accurate. First of all you will struggle to find it using google maps as the listing is incorrect. Like one of the other reviews we were shown to our room by the son of the landlady, who just grunted and pointed to the rooms, refusing to acknowledge our existence. Th rooms were clean which is why i have given it two stars, but there was no on suite, not even a sink in the rooms. The walls were so thin, I could easily have a conversation with my colleague next door, without standing near the adjoining wall!Tthe bathroom was shared with at least 5 other people judging from the number of rooms and bathrooms. Didn't stay for breakfast as there were only two fixed sittings for breakfast, and
our timings didn't fit with these.
Quite how two reviewers managed to give it 5 stars is beyond me - you will note they keep mentioning the family? I'd suggest therein lies the clue.

Room Tip: Premier Inn?
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank R W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidcup
Bull's Head Hotel
#1 of 2 in Chislehurst
Bexleyheath Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bexleyheath
Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
Hotel ibis budget London City Airport

Been to Ruxley Rooms? Share your experiences!