“Wish I'd found this years ago!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Wish I'd found this years ago!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Driven past this place so many times and decided to give it a try . Very pleased I did, we had a lovely evening. This is a family run business so you get the personal attention which is always a plus.

The wine list was to my taste - we chose a a very decent Barolo (bit pricey) served at perfect temperature.

I had the calves liver, cooked the way I had requested and the chef came out to make sure it was to my liking, not something you get very often these days. Portion size was on the large side, so I couldn't do justice to the selection of vegetables served with the main dish. My friend had skate in black butter sauce - the fish was fresh and served just as he had asked.

The decor is dated, but this adds to the charm of the place. You don't get this kind of personal service in many restaurants these days. The place was nicely busy but we weren't made to feel rushed in any way.

Always a bonus when you can "people watch" and there were a couple of colourful characters in there which just made our evening.

If I have one criticism, I'd say spruce up the exterior, which does look a little shabby and doesn't exactly attract the punters.....but maybe that's a good thing! It's definitely one of the local areas best- kept secrets!!

Will definitely be returning some time soon.

Visited March 2014
6 Thank discodiva1056

kent
“Well worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

After living in the area for 37 years we thought it was about time we gave Mario’s a try. It was well worth the wait!

It is a little off the beaten track in that, although on the main road, it is not in the main part of Sidcup but in Foots Cray. As has been mentioned there is ample free parking at the back of the premises (although we were fortunate in living close enough that we did not have to drive). It was a quiet night when we visited but the atmosphere was very pleasant. The décor is very quaint and really adds to the charm of the restaurant. It was also very cosy on a particularly cold night.

We were greeted by Mario’s daughter and her Mum and were really made very welcome even though it was our first visit. There is a wide range of starters and main courses. Having looked at the menu a few days earlier we had fully intended to have a fillet steak. However the “fish specials” included scallops in bacon (my wife’s favourite) and whole sea bass (one of mine) so the steak idea was quickly abandoned. Both dishes were absolutely superb, cooked to a turn and both done with plenty of garlic. Fresh vegetables and sautéed potatoes made the dishes complete. There is a decent wine list (alas no New World wines, but no matter) and the two we chose were excellent.

All in all it was a delightful meal in lovely surroundings and the family made us feel so welcome. It is a restaurant which I would recommend to anybody so get down there and give it a try - but don‘t wait 37 years!.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank jeffthejudge
Deal, United Kingdom
“Unique family-run restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I went with a friend to have lunch and revisit Mario and his family after 30 years away from the area. We were the only ones in there and had undivided attention and personal service from Mario and his daughter. They prepared and cooked exactly what we wanted using fresh vegetables grown in their own garden and the fish was superb. My friend ordered house wine, but when it came it was not to her liking - that was no problem as it was immediately replaced with a different one that she liked better. We enjoyed reminiscing about the 'good old days' in Sidcup and we were amazed when Mario asked questions about our families - obviously remembering us from all that time ago.
Great experience - rather expensive for a weekday lunch, but we treated ourselves!

• Visited September 2013
6 Thank Elisabeth S
London, United Kingdom
“Good food cooked fresh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We have visited La Stalla quite a few times, each time the food has been excellent. It looks from the road there is no parking, all you need do is drive round the back on the small road next to the 7 Stars pub. Once inside its a bit of a time warp back to the seventies, get passed this and order the food. If you fancy a main course as a starter a smaller version is not a problem. Scallops wrapped in bacon well worth a try. Just go and see for yourself.

• 3 of 5 bubbles