“Watch out for the sneaky fish”
Review of Erawan Falls

Erawan Falls
Book In Advance
More Info
US$151.85*
and up
Erawan Waterfall and The Death Railway from Hua Hin
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We took the bus from Kanchanaburi bus terminal. It's easy to find- big sign & calls out "Erawan bus" as it gets closer to departure time. I have to say, both the bus to & from left on time!!
You are dropped off at the visitor centre. 50 baht each way, trip takes 1.5 -2 hours. Once you get to the park, it's 200 baht entrance for foreigners.
The falls are very pretty & on a blistering hot day are very refreshing. We made it up to level 4 but were too hot & bothered to go further.
The third level was busiest & has a waterfall you can swim out to & through.
Second level was much quieter, but had more of the fish who like to nibble your feet. Think fish spa, but on bigger scale.
There are quite a few restaurants where the bus stops you off- cheap & yummy.
Last bus leaves at 4pm.
Travel tip- sit on the opposite side of the bus to the driver- most of the trip will be on the shaded side if you do.

2  Thank Margaret A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,812)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stopped here for a snack and to cool down briefly and loved it. We were the only farangs (foreigners) here and seemed to take on an odd sort of celebrity status with the Thais. As we played in the water or ate snacks beneath the trees several people made it a point of coming up to us, asking to pose for photos, etc.

We were there on a very hot day and the place had plenty of people around but it was all of a family nature and everyone was enjoying themselves.

Highly recommended as a stopover or as part of exploring the rest of the National Park.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our first stop on our 2 week Thailand tour. We decided to book it separate from any of the tours that combine it with other things. We are glad we did. Our hotel arranged transportation for us. A little more expensive but worth it. We were able to get there early and take our time. The one way hike up to the 7th tier took 2 hours and longer on the way back down. We took our time and didn't rush. We heard that tours have a 2 hour limit in total so we stayed away from doing that. The fishes are neat but get annoying by the end. We hiked up and did all our swimming on the way back down. Might have been better to do it opposite as it was busy by the time we got down. All in all it is something you shouldn't miss in Thailand.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

went here a wee while ago and really enjoyed it. Ok it's a bunch of water falls, but they are lovely looking you can go for a swim or paddle its mainly in the shade and worth a afternoon/morning visit. Did this in combination with the Tiger temple, recommended

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Note: If you are working in Thailand, show your work permit to get the Thai price (40b), otherwise it is 200b for foreigners.

My whole Kanchanaburi trip was just so 'eh'. I took the 8am public bus from Kanchanaburi to the falls - I highly recommend getting the very first bus at 8am because the buses leave Erawan National Park every two hours so I would bet the 4pm final bus is outrageously crowded. It is 50b and you pay on the bus, so when you arrive at the Kanchanburi bus station, just get on the 8170 bus and wait to pay right before leaving.

I arrived at the falls around 9:30 and had breakfast. There are restaurants right at the park entrance (the final stop of the bus - don't get off too early at the first big area of restaurants and floating toys) It took me 1.5 hours to get up the falls and 45 minutes to get down and by that point I had already missed the noon bus so I had to catch the 2:00 bus which was full by the time we left.

The trek up the falls is way more difficult than I expected. Do not wear flipflops if you're going to the top because it is crazy slippery and much of the path is just jagged rocks - not a lot of park maintenance and pretty much no pathways designed to help tourists get up to the top (except an occasional bridge). BUT, there is a section between 6 and 7 that requires you step through water (no way around it) so be prepared to take your shoes off and get all muddy before continuing onward. Many people were wearing flipflops or bare feet and I thought they were all crazy but I was definitely in the very small minority with sneakers on.

During dry season it was pretty but not super special. I went on a long weekend where the following Monday is a public holiday so it was very very crowded and took away any serenity or calmness you'd expect for a waterfall.

Lastly, please BRING A SHIRT TO SWIM IN. Everyone. There are signs about dressing appropriately under Thai standards (swimming in shirts and shorts over bathing suits for women and men and walking around covered with sarongs). No one is going to say anything but trust me, you stand out in a bad way when you walk around in just a bikini or speedo. No one is angry or offended, but you will feel uncomfortable with everyone staring at your like your an alien (or really just a farang). I forgot my extra swim clothes and just never felt comfortable enough jumping in. If you don't care about standing out, then ignore this because it isn't going to get you into trouble but if you're like me, you'll wish you had thought this through ahead of time.

4  Thank Atestafl