Arrived on a Saturday afternoon to a charming welcome at this late Victorian mill owner's mansion for a one night stay. We had been warned on booking that the only room left ( 6) was a tad on the small size but not overly so, the marble lined bathroom (with window) was spacious enough and the mainly Victorian style furnishings were appropriate. It also faced to the rear, the better ones are to the front and main side. Generally throughout the hotel the soft furnishings are showing their age slightly - this is from the late 80's school of Country House Hotel furnishing. We had a drink before dinner in the bar / sitting room which could do with a few more comfy armchairs.
The restaurant is a paneled room to the rear with a large roof light. The menu was interesting with 5/6 choices a course and the food excellent. We started with an amuse geule of Leek & Truffle oil risotto and this set the par for the remainder of the courses and at £35 a head to include fillet steak - good value. The wine list has some interesting bottles and some are still fairly priced we enjoyed a good 2007 Barolo. We had a comfy night's sleep and a fine breakfast - the food and service are what makes this guest house / hotel worth a trip. The manager Valerie Fearnon is a real sweetie and she always remembered our names and all the staff were charming, it is rare that I really feel the necessity to leave a tip at a hotel but this was one that I did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “Most Romantic Country House Of The Year” (AA Award). Ardtara is an elegantly restored 19th-century manor house, situated between Belfast and the Giant’s Causeway Coast. Once home to the Clark family, world-famous linen makers, Ardtara is now widely regarded as one of the finest country house hotels in Northern Ireland. The nine bedrooms are spacious with high ceilings, modern en-suite bathrooms, deluxe king-size beds, charming antiques and original grand (working) fireplaces. All set in the privacy and tranquility of eight wooded acres. Ardtara has also been selected as a “Fodor’s Choice” hotel, has Four Stars from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board and is a member of the Ireland’s prestigious Blue Book hotel guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Ardtara Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ardtara Country House Hotel Upperlands
- Ardtara Hotel Derry
- Ardtara Country House Upperlands, Northern Ireland