“A place for Adventure!”

Almonds and Corals Hotel
Los Angeles, California
“A place for Adventure!”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I really felt like I was Tarzan's Jane being in this lodge. If you truly want that forest adventure, this is the place to stay! Monkeys for your alarm clock, and my room felt like I was up in a tree, but with all the hotel amenities! That jacuzzi felt perfect after a full day! Staff was fantastic and the food superb! They have the full package! I yelled out "AAAAHHHHHH" (Tarzan yell) on a zipline excursion surrounding the hotel! Great way to end my adventure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Breathtaking, unexpected beautiful and romantic place to stay. After a long 5 hour drive we were welcomed by extremely nice staff. Our bungalow was soooooo pretty and perfect for us. Hence we were celebrating our honeymoon (Back in 2008)
I totally forgot the names of the people we got along with but they made our stay so much fun and magical. Even though we didn't have television or air conditioning it was a perfect experience. We enjoyed our stay even better that way. The spa was great too. I would love to go back and reminisce and enjoy the food, activities and the people. One day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Besides being woken up by howler monkeys, this place is very nice. The rooms are spacious and there is a hot tub in every room. There is wifi, for those who can't live without it. The dinning hall is beautiful and the drinks are delicious. Everyone is super nice there and the nearest town, Puerto Viejo, is only 10-15 min away.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I was referred to AyC by a friend, and I am so glad I took her advise to go. It was such a unique experience staying in the jungle! The sounds that filled the night and the morning were awe inspiring.

When the jungle crept into my room uninvited in the form of ants (ick!), the staff took care of it right away. I think my new best friend is Angel in the restaurant. He told me about the "sloths' house" on the path, and when I reported back that I didn't find any, he dropped everything and walked down there with me to find some. And yup, they were there!

As much as I enjoyed the staff, I really appreciated the personal attention of the owner, Marco. He was so knowledgable, I loved talking with him about Tico culture and things to do in the area. He went the extra mile to make arrangements for a tour for my husband and me.

For a unique experience, I would heartily recommend almonds and corals!

• Stayed June 2013
Dale, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We were surprised when we saw our accommodations, built on stilts, neatly tucked into the jungle. Each cottage was nicely outfitted with comfortable bedding and drapes. The walls are screen, so it can be noisy at night, but the noises are pleasant jungle sounds, so it's fine. Howler Monkeys are common overhead. Birding is wonderful here. There are lots of rules regarding use of water, so we were surprised to find a spa in each room. It didn't seem to fit into water conservation, so we never tried to use it. It takes a while for hot water to reach the room, but it does eventually. The dining room was large and the food quite good. Angel and Jesse made our bar and dining experiences enjoyable. There is a beach, but swimming is not allowed due to rip currents. Because of the location, on the Caribbean lowlands, it is quite hot and humid here.

Room Tip: I believe the cottages are all the same.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Everglades National Park, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had lunch here and ziplined. The ziplining was pricey $100 for two of us, but the guides were safe and did a great job of pointing out animals and insects all over the place. The patio area (common area) is so beautiful and this was the quietest place we ever visited when on the Viejo strip. I can see why others might be frustrated with the rooms, as they are actually platform tents. So make sure your spouse and kids are okay with that.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick J
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I was quite disappointed with the staff at this camping facility. It truly is a cool spot,adjacent to a beautiful stretch of beach. It is not, however,a hotel. It is a nice platform tent community. The tents are clean and the bed was fine. Two meals are included,but truly they are not edible. I have graceless to Central America for years, and no one should subject themselves to the blatant unsanitary conditions of this kitchen. Insects swarmed in much of the food. No misting,the maple syrup moved with termites swarming...even after being alerted, the staff did nothing. If this was advertised as a cheap place. I'd say there is plenty of good food surrounding the area. For the price, however, it is a very poor choice. Puerto Vision has much more to offer then this tent hotel...and by the way, that beach is totally accessible from the road...no need to stay there to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanillo
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Blue Conga
Hotel Blue Conga
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Almonds and Corals Hotel? Share your experiences!