“Haven for naturalists.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Almonds and Corals Hotel
Melbourne, Australia
“Haven for naturalists.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This place is amazing, though it's definitely not for everyone. If you like you're private, quiet rooms with all the creature comforts it's probably not for you, but then neither is Manzanillo in general. However, despite the rooms brine separated from the rainforest by mere mesh walls and cotton curtains they are still very comfortable, and the leaf-thatched roofs and gossamer mosquito nets give the rooms a romantic, rainforest-oasis feel, which is exactly what it is. The lights along the paths between the cabins make the place look utterly magical at night, and the mesh walls and openness of the buildings give one a tremendous feeling of oneness with the forest, without sacrificing comfort. The restaurant makes good food though I only had the buffet option while there, and the bar makes an excellent mojito. Overall it is a lovely place for those who are interested in the rainforest experience, from the comfort of a nice feather bed or bubbling jacuzzi. One negative point, it's a bit overpriced, but still worth it for a few nights. Definitely a must see for fellow naturalists/ecologists/zoologists etc.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Curtained palaces in the jungle and just by the beach. Friendly and helpful staff. Plentiful food and great breakfasts. No swimming right in front of hotel but great swimming beaches a short walk or bike away. Recommend dolphin spotting!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank h0neym00nwife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I just returned home from staying at Almonds & Corals a couple of weeks ago and it's still fresh on my mind. There were so many amazing things about this place I don't know where to start.

First of all, imagine you are in the jungle and someone just dropped in lovely cabins down between the trees and foliage. And not the rough cabins of my youth in Girl Scouts! These are spacious and comfortable with a shower, spa tub, small sitting area and hammock. I was surprised at how large my room was and happy that my bed was comfortable.

I had wondered how hot it was going to be in advance of our arriving, when I learned their were fans, not air conditioning. When I got to my room I was pleased to find 2 large stand-up fans, but although it was humid, I ended up having to turn them both off when I went to sleep. I slept comfortably and just fine without them.

The beach was just a short walk down the path through the trees and was beautiful and very private. I was able to find a good spot out of the currents to take a swim, and the water was just perfect.

The staff was amazing! Jessica was so friendly and and patient, even when I locked myself out of my safe twice. And Angel at the restaurant is a gem. I looked forward to seeing his bright smiling face every day and his amazing mojitos! The owners Aurora and Marco were so gracious and it was really interesting to hear the history of how they came to build this wonderful place, and all their knowledge of the native animals and the region.

Oh and what about the monkeys?! And the sloths?? They were right there outside of our rooms to see close up and personal. This was a totally unique experience for us and really fun to see.

I will definitely come back to Almonds and Corals. Next time I would like to stay a little longer so I can do more exploring. The only thing I would probably do differently is to bring a flashlight. Streetlights not included here!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank KImDunbar
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I really felt like I was Tarzan's Jane being in this lodge. If you truly want that forest adventure, this is the place to stay! Monkeys for your alarm clock, and my room felt like I was up in a tree, but with all the hotel amenities! That jacuzzi felt perfect after a full day! Staff was fantastic and the food superb! They have the full package! I yelled out "AAAAHHHHHH" (Tarzan yell) on a zipline excursion surrounding the hotel! Great way to end my adventure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Breathtaking, unexpected beautiful and romantic place to stay. After a long 5 hour drive we were welcomed by extremely nice staff. Our bungalow was soooooo pretty and perfect for us. Hence we were celebrating our honeymoon (Back in 2008)
I totally forgot the names of the people we got along with but they made our stay so much fun and magical. Even though we didn't have television or air conditioning it was a perfect experience. We enjoyed our stay even better that way. The spa was great too. I would love to go back and reminisce and enjoy the food, activities and the people. One day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Besides being woken up by howler monkeys, this place is very nice. The rooms are spacious and there is a hot tub in every room. There is wifi, for those who can't live without it. The dinning hall is beautiful and the drinks are delicious. Everyone is super nice there and the nearest town, Puerto Viejo, is only 10-15 min away.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I was referred to AyC by a friend, and I am so glad I took her advise to go. It was such a unique experience staying in the jungle! The sounds that filled the night and the morning were awe inspiring.

When the jungle crept into my room uninvited in the form of ants (ick!), the staff took care of it right away. I think my new best friend is Angel in the restaurant. He told me about the "sloths' house" on the path, and when I reported back that I didn't find any, he dropped everything and walked down there with me to find some. And yup, they were there!

As much as I enjoyed the staff, I really appreciated the personal attention of the owner, Marco. He was so knowledgable, I loved talking with him about Tico culture and things to do in the area. He went the extra mile to make arrangements for a tour for my husband and me.

For a unique experience, I would heartily recommend almonds and corals!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanillo
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
#1 of 13 in Cahuita
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
#6 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Almonds and Corals Hotel? Share your experiences!