“my stay at The Long House”

Congo Bongo Ecolodges Costa Rica
Sunrise, FL
“my stay at The Long House”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have been here 4 times...every time is just as wonderful as the last! I hate to leave. This stay was amazing, I enjoyed the "private" bach and relaxed in the hammocks. The area is just so beautiful. The people are very friendly. Daan and his family make you feel so welcome. Daan is always upgrading the place and looking for ways to make it even more enjoyable. This time he had put up a bunch of signs helping you navagate the area, the signs were very beautiful, so they did not take away from nature. The local resturants were very yummy. This area of Costa Rica is very inviting. Congo Bongo is amazing. All of the area is so nice, I cannot wait to go back. Already planning my next trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank neilsine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Slovakia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After 2 years I went back to Limon province in Costa Rica, and decided to spend another week at Congo Bongo as my first experience was awesome there. This time I did not visit it on my own, but with a friend of mine and we got the exact same rental house to share like the first time. Dejavu was sweet :) I was happy to see not many changes - you hear me right. The jungle around the rental houses did not change and I honestly loved it. We still heard howler monkeys every morning, saw toucans, butterflies, lizards and birds from your house, saw hundreds of crabs on the way to the beach ... The staff was the coolest ever, exactly the way they used to be 2 years ago. And the laundry was done so quickly! Having a kitchen with a blender helped a lot too (I am obsessed with smoothies.) This time I was more careful with the food so the little ants didn't get into it at all. And I practiced yoga on the porch where we had a sweet cat always next to us - this was new. Also, the wifi was way better than in 2012 and worked most of the time (although sometimes at night when raining it cut off for a bit.) Another nice change was that all the statues around Congo Bongo were painted this time - it gave it a nice playful touch. We also rented bicycles a few times to go to other beaches and I highly recommend to do so too when staying at Congo Bongo. The only down? A lot of mosquitoes in the area, so just get ready for them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Crazysexyfuntraveler
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

This is just awesome place! Very kind stuff, great owners, wooden bungalows are so nice and comfy....There is also open kitchen with fridge at your services....Thats really not common in local hotels. Hope I'll come back again..........

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SaverOfTheFlavour
Haddam, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Beautiful, unique homes built within the Caribbean jungle, surrounded by nature. A perfect balance of art, landscape and flora. A 5 minute walk on a jungle path brings you to an isolated beach (Caribbean Sea). The staff were helpful and caring.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Big House. These houses are spread a good distance apart. We couldn't see anoth...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tom S
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Congo Bongo is a place I will always visit and have always visited when I'm in Costa Rica for a holiday, it's been over a period of 10 years that I visit the place and it's absolutely fantastic to have seen it being build up and change every year bit by bit, with a lot of passion and creativity by the people behind it.
Daan, Marisol, Ernesto and Marveli are fantastic hosts, and truelly know everything about the area, are always ready to help out when there is a question or when you are looking for a tour or anything else.

We stayed in the the Palmhouse for 9 nights at the end of our trip trough Costa Rica, after travelling around trough the country, we went from San Jose to La Fortuna and back, then to Tortoguero and via Tortoguero to Manzanillo. (which is a very pleasent journey by the way).
How I remember Congo Bongo from all my previous trips to Costa Rica is that it's always a great place to arrive at after travelling around, the houses feel naturally comfortable, clean and cosy.
All houses are open (no walls and windows, ofcourse a closed bedroom etcetera..) and have a big terrace in the middle of the jungle, this means it's a wonderful place for spotting birds, monkeys and other jungle creatures by night and by day.
I have never been in the/a jungle and meanwhile felt so at home and safe as in Congo Bongo. Another great service is that you can wash your clothing and bedsheets whenever you want to do this.
Marveli comes by every day to clean the house and make everything tight again, you can as well give her your dirty laundry, which you will have because it's warm obviously and she will wash it the same day and bring it back clean and dry a few hours later!

I am back home now and am already looking forward to my next trip to Congo Bongo.

Room Tip: The Palmhouse has a fantastic location and is close to the path to the beach. Sacred with howlingmon...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 920Michiel
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My friends and I stayed in the Long House earlier this month at the suggestion of a friend and travel blogger (CrazySexyFunTraveler.com). WHAT A FIND! The house was EXACTLY as portrayed on the web site and an incredible value. The house and amenities were simple, yet very comfortable. The house was clean and tidy and we loved regular visits from Coco, one of the lovable dogs that live on-site. Maria was more than just a fantastic housekeeper, she was a wealth of information about the area. And giving us our own portable phone with all the necessary phone numbers plugged in was an added (brilliant) touch. We loved having the jungle be so accessible, with all of its melodic sounds day and night. We could virtually watch exotic birds, monkeys and sloths in the trees around us while laying in our living room hammocks. The short walk across the grounds and to the beach is simply magical. Daan and his team are amazing. I highly recommend to anyone with a desire for beauty and relaxation and a sense of adventure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nancy M
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at Congobongo for one week and it was absolutely perfect. A beautiful jungle paradise--well situated near your own private beach and very close to nearby towns of manzanillo and puerto viejo [either by bike or cab]. The flora and fauna on the grounds are simply magnificent--I fell asleep to jungle sounds and awoke to the monkeys! Daan and Marisol are wonderful hosts--with great recommendations for activities and tours--we took a 6 hour hike with Omar through the refuge [HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!] If you are looking for an authentic costa rican experience-look no further! Would definitely stay again in the future. Thank you Daan and Marisol and Marveli!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chelsea B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanillo
Hotel Banana Azul
#2 of 52 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Caribe Town
Caribe Town
#1 of 8 in Cocles

Been to Congo Bongo Ecolodges Costa Rica? Share your experiences!