“Oh Mama Mia !”
Review of The Butchers Arms

The Butchers Arms
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Pontardawe
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2014

went there with friends for a celebration, lovely decor and nice and busy on a week day, not particularly cheap, service quite good and friendly staff, however please train chef to cook authentic Italian lasagne it was too small a portion, overcooked not enough pasta or béchamel sauce, served with some dry leaves of a non descript variety - and garlic bread hard and overcooked. Others in the party were fairly happy with the choices they made although fish seemed overcooked. Most dishes choses were awash with various types of sauces which seemed to swamp the food. I would try this place again but am beginning to think I am hard to please OR a good lasagne cannot be found outside of my kitchen or Italy !! Mama Mia !

1  Thank WalesMuriel
beconusier, Owner at The Butchers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your meal at The Butchers if you had mentioned this on the evening we would have been able to deal with your complaint, however I find your comment on please train Chef extremely rude, tripadvisor is about your experience, not chance to abuse a chef without knowing anything about them, our Chefs are fully trained professionals, working extremely long hours to provide home cooked food at the highest standard possible. Regards Suzette Bartram

Reviewed 10 March 2014

we are quite local and visited here for a birthday meal with friends, staff were very attentive and polite, we were escorted to our table on arrival and our drinks order was taken immediately and brought to our table while we browsed the menu.....not a vast menu but there was a "specials" board also. our duck and quince starter was delicious, our guests had soup of the day which they also enjoyed! for mains i had gammon, my wife had the rib eye steak and our guests both had the butchers home made chicken curry, everything was spot on and piping hot, it all arrived promptly and professionally.....all in all a fab evening was had by everyone, well done! butchers arms, keep up the excellent service we will be back soon!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Took the wife here for a valentines lunch and it was fantastic. The food was 1st class and the service was flawless.

5 stars

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We took our visitors for Sunday lunch at the Butchers Arms on the 19th January. The meal was average and the vegetables for the 4 of us came in one open dish with everything piled in together - potatoes, cabbage (barely a tablespoonful in total), cauliflower (one small floret each), some carrots and swede. We were not offered any more of anything. I must add, though, that the deserts weren't badly sized portions. The two courses cost about £14 per person, which I felt was expensive for what we had. We could have had a better 3 course meal not far away for the same price. We have had excellent meals at the Butchers in the past but the quality and quantity of food seem to have deteriorated. We have spoken to other locals who are of the same opinion. Had we been on our own, we would have complained, but did not like to as it was our visitors, who had travelled from France, who had insisted on treating us. We had wanted to show the best of the area, but, unfortunately, the Butchers did not come up to our expectations. With hindsight, I wish now that I had cooked lunch at home, as was my original intention. Very disappointed!!!!

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We visited this pub as a party of 6 on my Daughter in law's birthday.I ordered the lamb rump,which was £17 as I am very fond of lamb.I asked the waitress wether it came with any potatoes and she said no it didn't but if I wanted any to let her know after it arrived.When the dish arrived it looked very poor,there were about six slices of lamb,which was tough,a small blob of what could only be described as a purée of haricot beans,which was very cold,eight green beans and a small amount of jus.Remember this dish cost £17!!My wife ordered the vegetarian tikka masala with rice and chips.The curry was dry to and the portion size was child size with about eight chips.The other dishes the others had were just as poor and I can't be bothered to describe them but I'm sure you get the picture by now.One other thing was,my wife ordered a brownie for dessert but asked if she could have ice cream instead of the salted caramel sauce.'Of course you can'said the waiter with a smile.What did it come with?You guessed it,caramel sauce,sigh.
To sum up,overpriced,small portions and poor service.You have been warned!!

2  Thank melturn