“shame” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oxwich Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxwich
Oxwich Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oxwich
Newbury, United Kingdom
“shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

To reach the hotel you must travel along narrow windy country lanes. However the location of this hotel is beautiful overlooking the Bay.
The hotel was full on the night we wanted to stay so a room was offered in The Old School Cottage. check in at 4pm and out at 11am next day. This was HB for two at £69. We were given £25pp to spend on our evening meal (does not include drinks, so any expenditure above this amount is charged to your account and settled upon check out. The evening meal was beautiful. The drinks are massively overpriced. The breakfast, however is poor in comparison. The service was good except one member of staff had a body odour problem which when working in the restaurant is completely unacceptable.
Our room was very small. The bed was comfortable with clean linen but the pillows are hard. The waste bin in the bedroom had not been emptied which was not pleasant upon arrival. I have to point out (as I did upon check out to the receptionist) that this building is not fit for purpose. You can hear movement and talking of the person in the room next door. Sadly we had a family below who completely disregarded everyone else staying in the house and chose to come in making so much noise and swearing. They were aware that they had someone staying above as our windows were open but this did not make any difference. They eventually quietened when someone banged on the floor. Sadly we were left feeling unsafe and did not get much sleep.
I would not recommend a stay in The Old School House at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen A
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Very many thanks for your recent review of your stay in one of the cottage rooms.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal with us, and that the staff were helpful and attentive at all times. I am sorry to read that breakfast did not live up to the evening meal standards, and I have taken your comments on board, and will be sure to take action in due course.

With regards to the cottage room, I am glad the bed was comfy, and can only apologize that the bin had not been emptied on your arrival. We have a rolling maintenance program throughout the hotel and cottage rooms and I would be interested to hear which room you actually stayed in so I can investigate into this problem further.

In the meantime, I thank you again for your useful comments, and hope to see you again soon,

Sam Morris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This just about gets 4 out of 5 from us. Our room was very luxurious, the staff very friendly and the evening meal divine. The only really bad thing was the breakfast, which was frankly, a lazy cheap let down, especially after the evening meal. There were one or two niggles as well.....

We stayed in one of the Ivy Cottage rooms and it was absolutely beautiful, with a massive comfy bed and exquisitely decorated and a very smart DAB radio, though with a strong smell of disinfectant initially. The bathroom was huge and very luxurious, but not very practical. There was only one tiny sachet of shower gel each for 24 hours - not enough for one decent wash. There was nowhere to put any soap etc in either the shower or the gorgeous slipper bath and the only surface on which to place bathroom products was a very small cupboard - at least one shelf is needed for a wash bag. A box of tissues, bottles of shower gel and a shower cap wouldn't break the bank either.

The tea and coffee in the room were basic and horrid and not in keeping with the luxury of the room. No full length mirror, but maybe I am being too fussy!?

So on to the food - the evening meal was fantastic and beautifully served - very upmarket, but breakfast was a cop-out and very downmarket. After the exquisitely served evening meal, I did not expect two trays of sliced bread, some tinned fruit and a few cereals and juice. The cooked breakfast was clearly not from the same supplier as the Breconshire pork of the evening before and surely they could try a bit harder to locally source eggs as well. A big let down.

All in all, a place of great potential and VERY dog friendly which was important to us. The sun shone, the walks are fantastic and the bed was enormous, so we will go again in the hope that they continue to improve.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jules M
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Many thanks for your recent review of your stay with us here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

I am delighted to ready that you thought Ivy Cottage was beautiful and smartly decorated with a luxurious and big bathroom. Thank you for your comments regarding the bathroom products, lack of cupboard space – these have been noted but myself and will be acted upon in due course.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your evening meal with us, and that the staff were very helpful – we do pride ourselves on our staff. I am disappointed to read your comments about the standard of breakfast and will definitely look into this issue.

It is very pleasing indeed to read that you will be returning to our hotel, but in the meantime, if you wish to discuss any of the issues further, please do not hesitate to contact either myself Sam Morris or Jon Bishop.

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The location overlooking the stunning Oxwich bay on a sunny day overcomes the many problems of the hotel. The hotel itself is overpriced as is the drinks. Staff are pleasant but service is average. The room was obviously stylish when last refurbished but is now dated with a lack of scheduled maintenance - broken door handles, broken toilet seat, cracked basin etc. Plenty of free parking and lovely garden.

Stayed June 2014
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Many thanks for your recent review of your stay here at Oxwich, and I am glad to read that you managed to enjoy the stunning views over the bay, and our spacious garden.

We do try and maintain a responsible drinking policy, as we are not just a bar but a hotel with residents.

I am disappointed to read your comments regarding your room, and would be interested to hear which room it was that you stayed in so I can act upon your comments. In the meantime should you wish to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Jon Bishop.

Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stopped off for a drink in beer garden which was really nice, major downside £4.30 for a pint of ale and £5 for pint of magnars. The ale is bizarrely more expensive than carling and don't order a half as they charge you more at £2.30. Could have stopped there all day but as good as the view is the prices are much more than anywhere else in the gower, bit like the service station!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ell01
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Many thanks for your recent review, and I am terribly sorry to hear that you thought the alcoholic drinks were overpriced.

Here at Oxwich, we have a responsible drinking policy, as we are not just a bar but a hotel with residents.

We thank you very much indeed for your comments which have definitely been noted, however if you would like to discuss the above further then please call and ask for either myself Sam Morris or Jon Bishop.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Arrived for a wedding after a very long hot journey, rooms not cleaned until 4pm which is not helpful when you want to change into your expensive outfit for a wedding taking place at lunchtime.
Yes the place is very dog friendly so much so that the dog hairs were still on and around the divan bed base even after the room had been cleaned.
The price tag of £125 per night does not reflect what you will get for staying in one of the cottage rooms. One of these rooms had two adults and 5 dogs staying in it. The cottages are still under renovation so check before you pay anything that you are getting what they are advertising. If you don't do dog friendly this is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 920KarenW22
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Very many thanks for your recent response of your stay here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

I am terribly sorry that you found it unhelpful that your room had not been serviced when you arrived for the wedding. We do say, out of courtesy, that all of our wedding guests are welcome to have use of their rooms from 11am, but the cottage rooms will not have been serviced (new towels, shampoo, coffee and tea etc) until the official check-in time of 4pm.

Thank you for your other comments regarding the bed base, and the cottage as a whole, and I can assure you that these have all been noted, and will be acted upon. However, should you wish to talk through the above further, please do not hesitate to contact either myself Sam Morris or our Front of House Manager Jon Bishop.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Visited for dinner with my partner. We had a glass of wine in the garden and then ate our dinner in the function room.
The food was to die for, tasted amazing and my fish was cooked beautifully. I'd really recommend it.
It's clear that they are spending lots of money on the hotel and it has some lovely points but others let it down a little. The hotel doesn't feel like it has established what it is yet. We took a full tour. There's a mix of gorgeous interior design with beautiful wooden finish right next to some very dated and shabby aspects (the actual restaurant) so here are my recommendations. The conservatory (as you pull in) needs knocking down and rebuilding, the plastic is worn and bits are hanging off. The Marquee is breathtaking but the brown carpet needs changing - maybe a navy to match the sea... The drinks were overpriced and I would say the prices need reviewing. I didn't look inside the caravans but they did look a little shabby from the outside.
Like I said, this hotel is so close to being a top end phenomenal hotel, there's just a few improvements to the parts that really let it down. I'll definitely be going back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nikila W
OBHOxwich, Front Office Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Many thanks indeed for your recent review of our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you thought the food was excellent, and the fish was cooked to perfection - our head chef Dan Williams takes great pride in his menu designs, and creations.

Thank you for your comments regarding certain parts of the hotel - we have a on-going maintenance program throughout the hotel and cottage rooms, and your remarks have been noted, and taken on board so thank-you.

I do hope that if you are passing again, you will call in and see us.

J Bishop
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our room was extremely small for two adults, one teenager and two dogs! The main issue was lack of space - a 'Z' bed with the springs felt through the mattress was too uncomfortable for my son to sleep on without the aid of pillows taken off my bed! Given the high price of the hotel room we stayed in, the old school house, I feel this was overpriced. Our room was in need of updating; too much big furniture, with little space for us to leave our bags anywhere in the room! We had to climb over the 'z' bed to get through to the bathroom, which itself needs updating too! We had a BBQ meal on the evening we stayed and it was very average. The hotel describes itself as 'dog friendly' but apart from the garden area, dogs are not welcome in other parts of the hotel general space. The best part of this stay was the great beach!

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel!