“Very nice restaurant”
Review of Oxwich Bay Hotel

Oxwich Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oxwich
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Saturday lunch for 4. Excellent menu, good service, and really good food. We didn't stay so can't comment on the rooms but it was a lovely good food restaurant. I went with my elderly parents, and staff were attentive to help. Only small downside is the hotel is right next to the beach, and there are lots of people in the gardens outside and some noise from kids playing, etc.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Very many thanks for your recent review of your Sunday lunch with us.

I am delighted to read that your enjoyed your lunch with us last Sunday, and that the staff were attentive and helpful with your elderly parents. I am also pleased to read that you thought our menu was excellent, as our head chef Dan Williams takes great pride in creating his menu choices.

I do hope you will come and see us again soon, and thank you once more for your review,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am the mother of the groom and I expected the best for the bride and groom for their wedding.
The wedding party arrived on the Saturday for a wedding rehearsal and the staff at the hotel were fantastic and were very accommodating, listening to the needs of the bride and groom regarding how they wanted everything to be set out on the day.
The wedding took place on Sunday morning and the staff had completed everything that was requested which made the day perfect.
My son and his lovely new wife had a day to remember. The decorations, the ceremony room and the reception in the marquee were fantastic. The food served during the reception was absolutely wonderful as was the evening buffet. The bride and groom stayed in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed.
As for me and my family we stayed in the old school house and it was simply perfect. The breakfast on the Monday was excellent and all the family were able to eat together in the ceremony room and it felt like a continuation of the celebrations.
This is a perfect setting for a wedding and we thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of getting married here. Many thanks to all the staff who were great especially Laura, the wedding planner as it was the perfect wedding. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your recent review of your son’s, and new daughter in-law’s, wedding here at Oxwich.

I am delighted to read your comments regarding our staff, and that everything was done just how the bride and groom wanted it – I will pass on your thanks to Laura in particular.

It is also very pleasing indeed to hear that the food, marquees, and chestnut room, were all up to your expectations and our breakfast in the morning helped to continue the wonderful family celebrations!

Thank you again, and please do come down and see us again,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stopped off for a drink on our way to Rhossilli and was astounded to be charged £8.60 for two pints of Dooms Bitter.

The only saving grace was that there was free parking and a great view from the garden.

Out and out exploitation and will not be returning

1  Thank Richard S

Many thanks for your recent review of our restaurant.

I am sorry to read that you thought the price of our beer is expensive. We have a responsible drinking policy here at Oxwich due to us being not only a bar and restaurant but a hotel with residents. I would be very happy to discuss your comments on the phone - should you wish too, please do not hesitate to contact myself or Jon Bishop on 01792 390329

Reviewed 26 June 2014

To reach the hotel you must travel along narrow windy country lanes. However the location of this hotel is beautiful overlooking the Bay.
The hotel was full on the night we wanted to stay so a room was offered in The Old School Cottage. check in at 4pm and out at 11am next day. This was HB for two at £69. We were given £25pp to spend on our evening meal (does not include drinks, so any expenditure above this amount is charged to your account and settled upon check out. The evening meal was beautiful. The drinks are massively overpriced. The breakfast, however is poor in comparison. The service was good except one member of staff had a body odour problem which when working in the restaurant is completely unacceptable.
Our room was very small. The bed was comfortable with clean linen but the pillows are hard. The waste bin in the bedroom had not been emptied which was not pleasant upon arrival. I have to point out (as I did upon check out to the receptionist) that this building is not fit for purpose. You can hear movement and talking of the person in the room next door. Sadly we had a family below who completely disregarded everyone else staying in the house and chose to come in making so much noise and swearing. They were aware that they had someone staying above as our windows were open but this did not make any difference. They eventually quietened when someone banged on the floor. Sadly we were left feeling unsafe and did not get much sleep.
I would not recommend a stay in The Old School House at this hotel.

2  Thank Karen A

Very many thanks for your recent review of your stay in one of the cottage rooms.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening meal with us, and that the staff were helpful and attentive at all times. I am sorry to read that breakfast did not live up to the evening meal standards, and I have taken your comments on board, and will be sure to take action in due course.

With regards to the cottage room, I am glad the bed was comfy, and can only apologize that the bin had not been emptied on your arrival. We have a rolling maintenance program throughout the hotel and cottage rooms and I would be interested to hear which room you actually stayed in so I can investigate into this problem further.

In the meantime, I thank you again for your useful comments, and hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This just about gets 4 out of 5 from us. Our room was very luxurious, the staff very friendly and the evening meal divine. The only really bad thing was the breakfast, which was frankly, a lazy cheap let down, especially after the evening meal. There were one or two niggles as well.....

We stayed in one of the Ivy Cottage rooms and it was absolutely beautiful, with a massive comfy bed and exquisitely decorated and a very smart DAB radio, though with a strong smell of disinfectant initially. The bathroom was huge and very luxurious, but not very practical. There was only one tiny sachet of shower gel each for 24 hours - not enough for one decent wash. There was nowhere to put any soap etc in either the shower or the gorgeous slipper bath and the only surface on which to place bathroom products was a very small cupboard - at least one shelf is needed for a wash bag. A box of tissues, bottles of shower gel and a shower cap wouldn't break the bank either.

The tea and coffee in the room were basic and horrid and not in keeping with the luxury of the room. No full length mirror, but maybe I am being too fussy!?

So on to the food - the evening meal was fantastic and beautifully served - very upmarket, but breakfast was a cop-out and very downmarket. After the exquisitely served evening meal, I did not expect two trays of sliced bread, some tinned fruit and a few cereals and juice. The cooked breakfast was clearly not from the same supplier as the Breconshire pork of the evening before and surely they could try a bit harder to locally source eggs as well. A big let down.

All in all, a place of great potential and VERY dog friendly which was important to us. The sun shone, the walks are fantastic and the bed was enormous, so we will go again in the hope that they continue to improve.

1  Thank Jules M

Many thanks for your recent review of your stay with us here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

I am delighted to ready that you thought Ivy Cottage was beautiful and smartly decorated with a luxurious and big bathroom. Thank you for your comments regarding the bathroom products, lack of cupboard space – these have been noted but myself and will be acted upon in due course.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your evening meal with us, and that the staff were very helpful – we do pride ourselves on our staff. I am disappointed to read your comments about the standard of breakfast and will definitely look into this issue.

It is very pleasing indeed to read that you will be returning to our hotel, but in the meantime, if you wish to discuss any of the issues further, please do not hesitate to contact either myself Sam Morris or Jon Bishop.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The location overlooking the stunning Oxwich bay on a sunny day overcomes the many problems of the hotel. The hotel itself is overpriced as is the drinks. Staff are pleasant but service is average. The room was obviously stylish when last refurbished but is now dated with a lack of scheduled maintenance - broken door handles, broken toilet seat, cracked basin etc. Plenty of free parking and lovely garden.

Stayed: June 2014

Many thanks for your recent review of your stay here at Oxwich, and I am glad to read that you managed to enjoy the stunning views over the bay, and our spacious garden.

We do try and maintain a responsible drinking policy, as we are not just a bar but a hotel with residents.

I am disappointed to read your comments regarding your room, and would be interested to hear which room it was that you stayed in so I can act upon your comments. In the meantime should you wish to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Jon Bishop.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stopped off for a drink in beer garden which was really nice, major downside £4.30 for a pint of ale and £5 for pint of magnars. The ale is bizarrely more expensive than carling and don't order a half as they charge you more at £2.30. Could have stopped there all day but as good as the view is the prices are much more than anywhere else in the gower, bit like the service station!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ell01

Many thanks for your recent review, and I am terribly sorry to hear that you thought the alcoholic drinks were overpriced.

Here at Oxwich, we have a responsible drinking policy, as we are not just a bar but a hotel with residents.

We thank you very much indeed for your comments which have definitely been noted, however if you would like to discuss the above further then please call and ask for either myself Sam Morris or Jon Bishop.

Sam Morris

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxwich
The King Arthur Hotel
The Mumbles Hotel
#3 of 3 in Mumbles
Norton House Hotel & Restaurant
Swansea Marriott Hotel

Been to Oxwich Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!