“Extortionate beer prices”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oxwich
South Wales UK
“Extortionate beer prices”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My hubby and I were regular visitors of this hotel. There was nothing better than sitting in the beer garden overlooking the bay. Three weeks ago we had a pint of doom bar, half a Carling and a packet of bobby's nuts £8.05. I have read the reviews of other like minded customers who feel that the drinks are over priced and read the hotels response on each occasion and am insulted.They indicate that it is because of their responsible drink policy for the benefit of their residents. If you refer back to my first sentence you will see that I used the word were as we won't be going there again. We will take our responsible drinking elsewhere.

8 Thank titleyann
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review, and I am sorry to read your comments.

Over the last couple of years, we have managed to achieve a civilized and relaxing atmosphere here at Oxwich Bay Hotel, for all our guests to enjoy, whether they are residents or regular guests like yourselves. We have done this by slightly raising our drink prices over the last 5 years.

I can only apologise again if you feel that these prices are too high, and should you wish to discuss my comments over the phone then please do not hesitate to contact me on 01792390329.

Sam Morris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed last night , have to say the location is brilliant its a pity the the hotel does not live up to the surroundings. Some of the staff are very helpful others are not, the food was average but being over priced and also the drinks, £2.30 for half a lemonade come on that's a rip off, my son ordered a small squash for my grand son which was the same price price as a pint. The question is would I go back and the answer is NO!!

1 Thank Lawrence H
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Many thanks for your recent review, of your one night stay here at Oxwich.

I am disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, and I would be interested to know which room you stayed in - perhaps you could pop me an email on info@oxwichbayhotel.co.uk?

I am sorry that some of the staff were not helpful, and I will be sure to take action on this comment.

Roxby Downs, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Took a dinner bed and breakfast package which did not disappoint.
Room had an almost beach view from the cottages. Ensuite was good.
Drinks are expensive especially as there is no table service.however the views from the beer garden could go a long way to explaining the cost.
All the meals were of a high standard.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Alan P
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

It is pleasing to hear that you took part in one of our dinner bed and breakfast package deals, and that it did not disappoint you. It is also great to read that the food was at a high standard - our head chef takes great pride in designing his menus, and especially cooking the food.

I do hope you will come and visit us again.

Solihull
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Used this hotel on many occasions
As I need to be close to Oxwich Village phone and booked in, the room was in the cottages, which I had stayed in previously. The offer included a cream tea on arrival, and an evening meal
L with a bottle of wine
Well room was the one stayed in over a year ago,still the same, still the black mold in the bathroom,nothing some bleach and a good scrub would help.
Staff were all very helpful,especially the young lady who served us for dinner
The new dining room is stunning, food fab, house wine not to good but free
The Hotel and the ongoing refurbishment looks excellent,however they should still pay attention to the Cottage Rooms as this is the impression one gets when taking a room that is not in the main Hotel

Room Tip: Always try and stay in the main hotel Rooms are much better than the Cottage
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Trevor C
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Many thanks for your review of the package deal you recently stayed on.

I am disappointed to hear about the cottage room, and would be very interested to hear which one it was you stayed in, so I can personally go down there with my housekeepers, and maintenance to sort the problem out - perhaps you could pop me an email on info@oxwichbayhotel.co.uk?

On the other hand, I am delighted to read that the food was great, and the service was also of high standard - we do pride ourselves on our helpful and attentive staff.

We do hope we will see you again soon, and thank you.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed in one of the hotels caravan which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel and consequently the beach.
The caravan had everything that you would ever need! Breakfast was good, limited menu and buffet.
Overall we had a lovely stay and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhian W
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Very many thanks for your recent review of your stay here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and found the location of the caravans (roughly 50 yards from the beach) so convenient, and that you would definitely come and stay again.

We now offer breakfast with the caravans, throughout the whole of the summer holidays, and glad you could take advantage of the offer.

We look forward to see you again soon,

Southampton
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a fantastic location for a hotel, with breathtaking views of one of the UK's most beautiful beaches and that's why my nephew booked it for his wedding ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception.
We had family coming from America, South Africa and Crete who we hadn't seen for 11 years so decided to book one of the cottages (all 5 rooms) - Ye Olde School House (300 yards walking from the main hotel) so we could all be together and congregate in the lounge for chats....the hotel website pictures looked lovely!
The rooms were discounted (so say) as we were part of the wedding party but were still £85 & £95 B&B depending on the rooms - none had sea views and half payment was required on booking.
We checked in at 11.45am for a 12.30 wedding. Our check-in was mediocre and a little unfriendly being asked for the rest of the payment even before our stay which I refused. No keys were issued for our rooms as the previous guests had not returned them. On arrival at the cottage we found the previous nights guests still there even though check out is 11am.
We quickly changed and headed to the wedding
The wedding ceremony was held in The Chestnut Room which was just stunning, with exposed stone & brick walls, an open log burning fire which is set within a large horse chestnut tree and tailor-made chair covers and sashes which matched the days colour scheme. The photos were taken in a private walled garden overlooking the sea which provided a beautiful backdrop on a gorgeous summers day. The wedding breakfast was held in the Marquee in a private garden a short distance from the hotel with panoramic views of the bay.
We had Pimms and Bucks Fizz on arrival shortly followed by Canapés which were 5* quality - Tomato, red pepper and basil bruschetta, Chicken Satay skewers and Welsh cheddar, leek and mushroom tartlet. The main meal and pudding were again 5* - Traditional roast turkey, thyme and onion stuffing, bacon wrapped sausage and stock gravy, served with carrots, cauliflower cheese, peas with new & roast potatoes followed by dark chocolate truffle torte served with a mixed berry compote.
The evening celebrations were also held in the marquee which looked amazing all lite up
We eventually retired to our cottage at 12.30am. Well the rooms, now made up were very, very disappointing and are all in need of upgrading considering the amount being charged. Our room had frayed carpets, missing curtain hooks, moldy vinyl in the bathroom and a broken coax cable for the TV - not worth £95. All other rooms had similar defects.
Breakfast - Tea and Coffee were served at the table along with The Welsh and Full English breakfast which was superlative in every way & the self service area was clean, tidy and well stocked with fruit, cereals and juices - again all food 5*.
On checkout I mentioned being unhappy with our rooms to reception which I felt landed on deaf ears with no apology - they had now had our money, so did nothing.
All in all the location of this hotel and outstanding, the food amazing just a shame the outside accommodation is a let down - beware of the cottages :((

1 Thank Foxielady1
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review, of your stay here at the Oxwich Bay Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you thought the wedding ceremony, canapes, reception, pre-drinks and the wedding as a whole was 5* - I will pass this onto my wedding department, as a lot of hard work and effort goes into each individual wedding.

I can only apologise that your check-in was mediocre, and that your rooms were not ready for the 12.30pm ceremony. We have recently introduced an email confirmation for each booking made, which outlines that out of courtesy you are very welcome to have your room from 11am, however they will not have been serviced due to early check-in. Again, I am very sorry that you did not get your keys until 11.45am, and I will speak to whoever was on check-in that day, and resolve this problem straightaway.

With reference to the cottage rooms themselves, I have taken on board everything you have said and should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me (01792 390329).

I thank you in advance for your patience, and do hope to see you again sometime,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is on the corner of Oxwich beech lovely sandy bay. The hotels sea view rooms are lovely and the cottage bedrooms so nice and comfortable plush furnishings too. Would not recommend the standard rooms as rooftop views are poor. the hotel is a bit dated but the dinning room is beautiful and caters for civil wedding,,also have a lovely marquee for wedding receptions.
Prices are very reasonable and the hotel food is well presented the menu varied with full dinners and lighter meals.
We have stayed here 4 times now and look forward to next july to stay again

Room Tip: lovely sea views sunsets and the sound of the sea These rooms have been refurbished
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Very many thanks for your review of your latest stay with us, here at Oxwich Bay Hotel.

It is very pleasing to read that you had another good stay with us, and that the menu was varied enough, and the food was well presented - our head chef Dan Williams takes great pride in designing his menus, and then creating the dishes.

I am delighted to read that you are coming back to stay next July, and look forward to seeing you then.

Sam Morris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxwich
Culver House Hotel
Norton House Hotel & Restaurant
The Mumbles Hotel
The Mumbles Hotel
#3 of 3 in Mumbles

Been to Oxwich Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!