“A good meal on the bay!”
Review of Oxwich Bay Hotel

and 1 more site!
Oxwich Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oxwich
London, United Kingdom
“A good meal on the bay!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We went to the hotel for a dinner treat as we were camping up at Greenways at the top of the hill. The staff were really nice and pleasant to us even though we were in wellie boots and coats because of the rain!
We had food from the light bites/traditional menu. It was pretty good, choosing the fish and chips was a good call. The burger looked good, the rabbit was a little boney but think that comes with the meal really.
Would recommend to people who visited the area and would go again :).

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mike G
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant here at Oxwich.

It is great to read that you were welcomed into our restaurant, with you welly's, and coats and I am so glad that the staff were attentive and helpful at all times.

The fish & chips is a good call, especially near the seaside, as we try and source our food as locally as possible.

I hope you will come back and visit us very soon,

Sam Morris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I'm sorry to say, but this was the low point of our recent holiday. If alternative accommodation had been available on arrival we would have taken literally anything else. This kind of accommodation gives British hotels a bad name and the hotel should be ashamed of itself for offering it as an option.
Having e-mailed the hotel about 6 months ago to secure a family room over the last week of summer holiday and being told that there were no rooms available, we were offered accommodation in one of the static caravans at the hotel. The price of the caravan was £80 per night including breakfast in the hotel. Having looked at the hotel on-line and seen the hotel advertising itself as a high quality establishment, we were assured.
On arrival at the accommodation we discovered a 10 year old static caravan that had not received much TLC over the years. Although the accommodation was clean, faults included : Ripped lino flooring in the living area, a double bed mattress that overhung the bed base by 4 inches each side - resulting in quite difficult sleeping without falling out, blocked shower tray, broken fixtures and fittings.
Additionally, although a lovely venue for weddings, the wedding discos run to 1am pretty regularly including one night of our stay, that together with a barking dog from the neighbouring caravan whose owners had left to enjoy the 'techno rave' nearby put the icing on our holiday cake.
In fairness to the holiday management, they did not argue with our complaints, but this place markets itself with reassuring statements such as 'The Oxwich Bay has been a family managed establishment since 1959 and prides itself on the little things that will make your time here that little bit more special'.
As a family with 2 working parents, holiday times are precious and a quiet relaxing place to stay was promised and not delivered.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank John B
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your recent review of your holiday in one of our static caravans.

I can only apologise that you and your family were left so disappointed with your stay, and I do appreciate your comments, and photos, regarding the caravan itself – I will be examining the caravan in more detail over the next couple of days.

Since reading this I have spoken to my team on reception, and they assure me that they clearly sell our 10 static caravans as “basic, dated, but clean holiday homes” which include breakfast in the main hotel each morning. I am sorry if this is not what you were initially sold, and I have re-iterated this to them.

However, I am glad to read that the caravan was at least clean.

In the meantime, we are in the process of updating Beach Walk Parc.

If you would like to discuss anything further, then please do not hesitate to contact me on 01792 390329

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night this week. It was a last minute decision and luckily they could fit all four of us, 2x adults 2 x children and Bert the spaniel.

We stayed in the Old School House which was a minimal haven. Huge double bed and bunks for the little people in their own room. Facilities excellent all through.

We eat at the hotel. Food fresh, local, plentiful and delicious. Service quick and helpful. The restaurant was stunning, candle lit and welcoming.

The hotel is on the bay... Stunning walks abound. Bert was welcomed warmly.

A superb experience.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Ruth133
Very many thanks for your recent review of your 1 night stay with us here at Oxwich.

From your comments I believe you were staying in Room 43 of The Old School House, which has a large lounge area and also a patio doors onto a small garden area which is perfect for our furry friends!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food, new chestnut lounge, and that the staff were helpful and attentive throughout your short stay.

I do hope you and your family, and of course Bert will come back again soon,

Newcastle Emlyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Four of us decided to visit The Gower Peninsula on 26/08/14 . We aimed for Worms Head , Rhossili. We stopped off at Oxwich on the way . It was lunchtime by now so we called in at The Oxwich Hotel . We were welcomed by smiling staff and as we could see the place was very full but this didn't put them off as they soon set up another table for us until a table was available in the restaurant. We didn't have to wait long and were allowed to order our meals. We were very well attended by smiling staff. The meals were excellent in very pleasant surroundings . Well done Oxwich Hotel and Thank You the very pleasant staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review of your lunch with us this week.

I am delighted to read that you were greeted by smiling staff, and that they were attentive throughout the whole of your time with us.

It is also pleasing to hear that your lunch was excellent - I will pass this onto our chefs.

I do hope you will come back and visit us again soon,

Swansea
Reviewed 26 August 2014

visited for a friends wedding party and first impressions were of a lovely little hotel on a beautiful beach. ideal setting for a beach wedding. we were a little taken aback by the bar prices as £6.60 for a pint and a half is ludicrous for not very well kept doom bar and an average carling!! on top of this the barman tried to short-change me by a tenner,as when i queried my lack of change it mysteriously appeared from a place under the counter 2 feet from the till!! as it was a wedding party i didn't pursue with management but stopped using bar! however,the rooms were lovely and everyone enjoyed it is just annoying when drinks are overpriced for a captive audience and they try and rip you off. i hope the barman in question gets his just deserts.

Room Tip: check your change
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank davehawyes
Essex
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped off for coffee and welsh cakes. Wedding was about to take place. Sat outside restaurant as not having lunch. Very good experience. The location of the hotel cannot be faulted. Understand has had a refurb and looks stunning......

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MikeMason
Very many thanks for your recent review, it is very kind.

I am glad you managed to enjoy the scenery whilst having a cream tea with us, we are very lucky to have such spectacular views just on our doorstop.

I do hope you will drop in again soon,

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for my cousins wedding on friday of august bank holiday, The Hotel is in a Perfect position, you couldnt be closer to a beach i dont think!, The Hotel is very clean, the staff were very very helpful and nice, the day we had at the wedding was brilliant from start to finish, we were very lucky with the weather also, sunny all day! Which just made this venue even better because of its ace location right on oxwich beach.
The car parking is right outside and access to rooms etc is great.
Lovely Bar area, great outside seating, and the views are immense.
The Breakfast was great to, basically the staff will cater for whatever you ask for, im abit of a fussy eater so to have my bacon sandwich just as i like it was great, thankyou staff!
Just to finish off by saying i will definately without fail be returning again very soon, i only live nr Tenby so about an hour or so away on a good day.
Next time i will be bringing my kayak with me to use on the beach, and will book in for alot longer and go exploring the area, again the hotel is ideally positioned for this.

Thankyou oxwich bay hotel, very impressed, see you soon.
Dean.B.

p.s i would recommend hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The sea and beach facing rooms are Amazing!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
OBHOxwich, Manager at Oxwich Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I cannot thank you enough for your recent review of your stay here at Oxwich, and the detail of your review.

It is so pleasing the read that our staff could not have been more helpful, and this was the same with the staff up in the Marquee reception - I will pass this onto them all.

I am also delighted to hear that the wedding was a great success, and that the sun shone for you - we are very lucky to have such spectacular views, and they are even better on a fine, Welsh, summers day.

Regarding your breakfast, which is included for all guests, - we always do try and cater as best we can for all dietary requirements, and I am glad we made your Bacon sandwich just as you requested!

I do hope you will all come back and visit us again soon - we have a lot of Autumn/Winter Offers on our website (www.oxwichbayhotel.co.uk).

Kind regards, and thank you again,

Sam Morris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxwich
Culver House Hotel
Norton House Hotel & Restaurant
The Mumbles Hotel
The Mumbles Hotel
#3 of 3 in Mumbles

Been to Oxwich Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!