“Didn't fancy cooking”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whitwell
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The White Horse wasn't far from where we were staying and having read some of the reviews, we decided to go for our evening meal.
The menu was full of the usual pub dishes but the specials board caught our eyes, with three of us ordering the pie dish, which was chicken and chorizo and the fourth spinach and feta in filo pastry. Several reviews had mentioned the size of the portions and they were right. Make sure that you are hungry before you go as they are large but well cooked and certainly homemade.
We were made to feel at home by the staff and even joined in the Monday night quiz, although, sorry to say, we didn't do too well. Altogether a pleasant evening.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Whilst on holiday in the Isle of Wight with my partner and family,(&two dogs) we stumbled across this busy pub.
The car park was packed and the queue to order food was enormous(good signs we thought..it must be good and it was fantastic!)
The staff advised us of a half hour wait for food, which we didn't mind as we were enjoying the sun filled beer garden, and were very apologetic abt the wait. It was worth waiting for!!
We went back the following lunchtime for Sunday roast which again was fantastic and brilliant value for money.
All in all a superb experience, and we will look forward to visiting again!!!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had lunch here after a long walk and it was great. Very quick service and reasonably priced. My potato and leek soup was just delicious, really hot and flavoursome. Most definitely home made and complimented with a a hot roll. My husband had a warm bacon and cheese baguette with salad, which he said was excellent. Large potions too!They serve the local beer and there is a pretty garden at the back, plus an extensive children's menu. The atmosphere is warm with plenty of old world charm in this centuries old inn. It is spacious as well so you don't feel cramped with other diners. Best lunch I've had on the island in a long time and I will visit every time I go back to Whitwell.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were looking for somewhere with character whilst staying nearby during our Isle of Wight half-term break. Unfortunately, this isn't it and we found it disappointing overall.

Firstly, we were only told there would be a wait of over 30 minutes just for a child's portion of cod and chips AFTER I'd paid at the bar. Otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. Secondly, they only had one cask ale on tap, despite priding themselves on having a "range" of real ales!

I couldn't see much in the way of this being a very old pub with any sort of character. The large dining area we chose to sat in looked like something from the 1970s (I suppose that's a bit historic!) and was full of loud mouths and their out of control kids.

Paid £15 for a couple of drinks and a children's meal. I'd look elsewhere on the island.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stopped by for a mid-day lunch and found the staff to be very welcoming. My wife ordered the chicken curry which she said was good. I ordered scampi, french fries with a side salad, but unfortunately the scampi was not as crisp as it should have been.
Overall, a nice country pub with a good atmosphere and would visit there again.