“Why can't they get customer service right?”

Mount Murray Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santon
Isle of Man
“Why can't they get customer service right?”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I visited the bar in this hotel twice in the last week. The first time because I'd encouraged a visiting colleague to stay there, so my wife & I went across to eat with her. Because she was on expenses, we ordered at the same time but paid separately. My order actually went in first but we stressed that we wanted to eat together. Her food arrived literally twenty minutes before my wife's, with mine trailing in a further few minutes later. Apparently mine took longer...

..."because you ordered the special".

Well, here's a thought, start the fish & chips a bit later so that it is finished at the same time as "the special"... or of course, that was just a rubbish excuse? The visiting colleague wasn't impressed and said so. She got a half-baked apology. There were about four other people eating in there that night, goodness knows how they'd be if it was busy.

I've just been over this evening to watch a football match and have a few beers with my wife. There was a 'black tie' event on upstairs. They came piling down during a break of some sort, so the bar was quite busy for a while. I attempted to get served for another couple of pints. Waiting for literally five minutes while the lady next to me ordered a large round, the bar-staff couldn't possibly have not seen me. As the woman finished her round and paid, another guy in a dickie-bow tie walked up on the other side of her, the bar-staff glanced at me and turned to serve the bloke in the suit. I went and sat back down without a drink, watched the end of the football and left.

Over the years, I've visited here many times because it is handy but I've steadily gone there less and less because you can not guarantee decent service. I doubt I'll be back in a hurry and I will no longer be recommending visiting colleagues stay there. Which is a shame.

PS The food is three star quality but far more expensive than that.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iom_keith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Having stayed here many times and reviewed in the past thought I'd post my latest views.
Excellent night sleep in the four poster suite. Lasagna was very tasty as well and garlic bread lush in the bar.
Good refurb taking place.
Thoroughly enjoyed my night stay.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
N. Wales
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I have stayed here many times and found the hotel staff very freindly and helpful.
The rooms are a good size and reasonably decorated.
The food is good but there are plently of decent restaraunts around the Island which should be tried.
Avoid rooms 1 - 10, they are in the same corridors as the gym etc., with keep fit classes above and going on past 10pm it is not very relaxing. They are also the ones with views of retaining walls.
So best phone and check.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 1 - 10. Most of the other rooms are in an ajoining annex but are fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Just back from two nights B & B. Room was very good however I only had view of brick wall but as I knew I would only sleep in room was not bothered but if you want some sort of view you would have to have a room on level 3 and above. Breakfast choice was excellant and staff were on the ball. Had dinner within the hotel bar on one of the nights, which I enjoyed and thought the prices were reasonable. Used the swimming pool and hydro pool four times during my stay. Pool was not the biggest but did the job. The canon within the hydro pool is well worth a shot. I felt it really helped my shoulders. On the downside shower area needs updating and please be aware that the pool area has no disabled access. I could not see any and staff confirmed no disabled access to pool.
Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want some kind of view avoid rooms below level 3.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel with a coach party for 6 nights. The staff were helpful and friendly and the food was good.The only downside if you don't have your own transport you are stuck in the evening although you could use the leisure facilities.We did not find this a problem as after a day sight seeing and a jolly good meal we jsut wanted to relax.The standard of cleanliness was good and we had an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the front where there may be a view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank france036
Isle of Man
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight on 02/09/12 and booked this overnight stay last minute to celebrate our relationship, seeing as we held our wedding at this hotel 5 years ago. We were terribly disappointed with no hot water on the Sunday night and Monday morning, so only wash we got was a swim Sunday afternoon. We complained on both occasions and were told the boiler had to be reset.

To make matters worse, we went for breakfast Monday morning and my partner asked for coffee. When it came it tasted of tea as it was in a tea pot. We asked for another coffee explaining to the waitress who appeared to have a poor understanding of English that the coffee tasted of tea, only to be brought a cup of hot water and a tea bag. We asked for a further coffee and was brought this in a tea pot again, tasting of tea. After complaining to a 'supervisor' about this, we were told they had few coffee pots and had to resort to using tea pots! There was no offer of an instant coffee or latte, the supervisor simply walked away uninterested.

Having read the previous good reviews, I would say I am not the kind to always complain and can only think that some of the older residents visiting on coach trips may be used to lower standards! I did complain to the hotel manager upon leaving and told him I would consider other local hotels in the future, he seemed uninterested and allowed my complaint to just 'linger' before I walked away disgusted.

Beware if you are expecting a 4 star hotel as the standards are clearly slipping!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AngelaIsleofMan

Travellers are raving about these Santon hotels

Norwich
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We spent a week here in June 2012. We had a 3rd floor room overlooking the lake. Room above average size, clean, comfortable, and quiet. Excellent breakfasts. Our only problem was a bar meal one evening when we had to wait almost an hour for our food which arrived cold and inedible. The restaurant manager appeared swiftly, apologised, and we settled on an alternative meal which arrived promptly accompanied by 2 complimentary large glasses of wine.
I was content with the handling of the problem and would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Do avoid a car park view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canteloff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santon
The Claremont Hotel
#2 of 17 in Douglas
Falcon's Nest Hotel
Falcon's Nest Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port Erin

Been to Mount Murray Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!