“hadn't been before but was pleasantly surprised”
Review of Majestic - CLOSED

Majestic
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Majestic (formerly Water Margin)King Edward RoadOnchanIM3 2AR 622223Chinese
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Popped in at the end of TT week which is a very busy time in the Isle of Man. We were asked to take a seat and a table became free in around 10 minutes. We were seated and provided with menus and a bowl of prawn crackers, together with an apology for the wait.

I ordered salt & pepper chicken to start followed by szechuan chicken and a portion of chips. The food when it arrived was excellent. The starter contained chilli peppers not pepper but as I love them it was excellent. It may however be too fiery for a novice so I would be careful when ordering. It burns. So much so that it was difficult to tell whether the food was hot or cold - my mouth was burning that much! Personally I loved it but it may be too much for A N Other.

The main course was fine, although a little bland after the starter. The portion size was generous too.

The view is spectacular and provides a great backdrop for that special meal.

If I had one niggle it would be the service. I know the place was very busy, but delivery was slow and disjointed and while the food was hot enough, they could have brought it all together. There were only two of us after all. I also had to ask twice for the bill. Why do restaurants do this? It strikes me that their whole raison d'etre is to earn a living and so many fall down when it comes to billing.

Overall - well worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for Majestic

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Love this Chinese restaurant.
Lovely views, nice quality food.
Enjoy it every time we come, it isn't cheap but the quality is very good.
It has own parking and tables well spaced out.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Lovely staff, welcoming but very noisy. Not the atmosphere we are used to in a Chinese restaurant. The food is average.
However the rice is exceptional, I never had such a nice fried rice . I should give it another chance and go for " a la carte " instead of a set menu.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The decor of the restaurant is a bit mixed. A Chinese restaurant should be chinese and not a mix of pseudo victorian wallpaper with a paper dragon fixed to the ceiling. Saying that though the view accross Douglas Bay is magnificent.

The service was excellent and friendly. The food was good but not great. The crispy lamb was not crispy and the sweet and sour pork was a bit fatty. The house wine was excellent.

We will go back for the view alone

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I regularly visit this Chinese for various occasions and times! I am shocked at the mixed reviews about the restaurant as for me it has been consistently amazing!!!! My partner works till around 9pm and staff are always very accommodating at letting us arrive late! I have also eaten at lunch times, early evening or takeaways.
The staff are always welcoming and often remember parts of order!! We love spicy food so the salt and pepper chicken, chips or prawns are a must try!!!!
David the owner is lovely and sometimes throws in a free round of drinks!
As I said the mixed reviews have shocked me as I think the food, service and atmosphere are exceptional!