“Excellent as always”

Ranked #1 of 2 Empingham B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Excellent as always”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We are just back from 5 nights at the White Horse as a group of 8 down for fishing Rutland Water. The rooms are good, the food excellent and the staff so helpful, in particular the ladies on breakfasts. Can't wait for our next trip down south to Empingham, thanks again Steve, Claire and all your staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. It was a pleasure to host you again and we look forward to welcoming you all back next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We recently ate in this pub.

I will start with the positives, I like the slate plates and, er, Grainstore bitter is up to the usual Grainy standards. So, they go the beer supply and plates right.

It’s very hard to ruin the exceptionally uninspiring starters. However, my wife’s the white bait (apart from being poor quality) was overcooked. And ordered the soup and personally, felt like Jane Austen's Mr. Woodhouse, dining on a 'thin bowl of gruel' . I asked for some extra bread and was welcomed with a look and harrumph from the waiter (I did offer to pay extra when he raised his eyebrows).

To follow we had the salmon to follow, at least the morsel on my slate appeared to be salmon, though I did have to confirm this suspicion with my better half. Indeed, it was confirmed as indeed being salmon.

I gave up before the finish line, famished and reliant on the Grainy beer. My wife had a nice cash and carry bought toffee pudding and a weak espresso

Having read the reviews here it seems I am not alone and 30% of the clientele appear dissatisfied. The owners certainly appear exceptional in their responses here to the plethora of poor reviews and their corporate background is evident given the high number of CYA responses. Clearly, they have done a good job on the project management of the renovation and are no doubt enjoying their ‘less frenetic' lifestyle.

We were left feeling utterly dissatisfied and took our dinner at the Grainstore instead which does, as they say, 'what it says on the can'

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank May C
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to us and I am sorry that you are dissatisfied. Please accept my apologies if you felt that the whitebait was overcooked and that the soup wasn't to your taste. Your comment about the salmon confuses my slightly as the salmon to which I believe you are referring was a whole fillet of organic Scottish salmon from Loch Duart, delivered fresh from our fishmonger who calls at us daily. I must pick you up on your comment on our sticky toffee pudding, I can assure you that is homemade by my team. If your wife felt her espresso was week then again, please accept my apologies. However, had you raised any of these concerns at the time we would have been only too pleased to rectify.
In contrast to your review I would say that 70% of people leaving reviews feel we are either 'excellent' or 'very good' and indeed we have just been awarded a trip advisor certificate of excellence for 2014. I'm therefore disappointed that you have described our menu and daily specials board as 'unimaginative' and the management inexperienced.
Swineshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I recently visited The White Horse with three colleagues whilst in the area on business. It is a quaint pub in a pleasant village. It is nicely decorated and has a warm atmosphere.
We were looked after by an attentive waiter and got our food quickly.
We were all really impressed with the quality and presentation of the food and it didn't break the bank!
I would recommend eating here. If I'm in the area again I may pay a second visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stopped off at this pub for a quick pit stop to break a long journey. Whom I took to be the owner/manager was surely the rudest publican I have ever met. He took great offensive that we were looking for a sandwich rather than a full meal. The young waiting staff were, however, extremely polite, I only hope he treats them better than his paying customers. Give this place a wide berth and look for somewhere friendlier if these things matter to you as he doesn't deserve your custom.

The steak sandwich was decidely mediocre served in a stale roll.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue297
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies that we (and by the sounds of it I) didn't meet your expectations. I can assure you all our customers are equally valued. I will feedback your comments about your steak sandwich to the kitchen however, our steak comes from our award winning butcher and our focaccia bread is freshly baked.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked a table on Friday for two for Sunday lunch and increased this to two adults and one child on the Saturday. We had to wait at the bar for ages before we were 'greeted' - no smile. The service was very slow and no explanation given. The waiter dropped the cutlery on a vacated seat and made no attempt to clean it, we had to do this. The beef was very disappointing, tough. We had to ask for more gravy as the meat was very dry. The cutlery was smeary and table was sticky - out came my anti bacterial wipes. We were in a dining area, table 24, off the bar area, on our own, despite people being told there were no tables. The staff looked flustered and miserable. We had a waiter/waitress change before dessert - once again no explanation. The food is just average pub food. Poor value for money.
My husband and I live in the area and we've enjoyed meals at The White Horse before so we were very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer S
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies if you felt the service was slow and weren't entirely happy with your visit to us. Your feedback will be taken onboard.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the White Horse to break a long journey home after a business trip. The bedroom was clean and very comfortable, the bar area lovely and our meal in the restaurant was excellent and very good value. We ate in the main bar/restaurant area which was busy but not uncomfortably full, there was a good choice of bar favourites or from the specials board. After our meal we then moved to a comfortable leather sofa in a different bar area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with a very good choice. Hope to return soon and perhaps enjoy some time at nearby Rutland Water.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah W
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that your enjoyed your stay with us. Please come again soon!
Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Myself, husband and 5 year old daughter stayed here for 2 nights as part of a group of 16 travelling from Aberdeen to watch our sons participate in a local football festival.
There is not one thing we could fault about our stay. The hotel itself is very well maintained in a quaint village. Our room was positioned in the stables at the back of the hotel; spacious and clean with traditional yet modern decor.
On the first night, we all ate in the hotel restaurant and were all more than satisfied with our menu choices. The next morning, breakfast was similarly faultless and chosen from a good menu selection. What's more, if there was something we fancied that didn't feature on the menu, the kitchen were more than happy to prepare it.
On our second night, we chose to eat out but, again, the next morning's breakfast for 16 was very well catered for.
All staff were friendly too, particularly the breakfast waitress who did her utmost to meet the requests of such a large group.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jenna I
Steve G, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, I am pleased that your family and the rest of the group enjoyed your stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Empingham
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
The William Cecil at Stamford
The Old Wisteria Hotel

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!