“Dirty Hard Bed and No Breakfast!”
Review of Brunel Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uxbridge
Brunel Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Uxbridge B&B and Inns
London
“Dirty Hard Bed and No Breakfast!”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Booked this place up for family who needed a room in the area a coupl eof years back. They didn't say too much so I knew something was up. It was descibed as not the cleanest and basic. The fact that they chose to stay out till 4m rather than go back says it all.

What really upset my partner's mother was the breakfast - or lack of! She arrived for breakfast around 8.30 am to be greeted by a hung over woman in a dressing gown with a ciggie hanging from her mouth who looked as though she didn't want to be bothered with guests. His mother didn't want to be too much trouble so she kindly asked for simple eggs on toast. The reply she got was along the lines of what do you mean eggs? We don't cook breakfast, help yourself to cereal and make your own toast! DISGRACE. The bed was terrible and has mum got no sleep, his dad slept purely by virtue of a lot of whisky! Now there are travelodge type places in the area I'd suggest folks stay there.

I'd also add that this place has the dodgiest of characters hang around outside it and I gather it takes in lot of people who are paid for by the council on benefits and immigration. No offecne to them, I feel sorry for them. But the ethos is max cash for minimum effort. They used to take builders who worked at Heathrow in but from speaking to such people they prefer other places as this one is poor. Can't help with any names but there are apparently better ones around. I her there is a small but nice one in Cleveland Rd by Brunel Uni and one is Station Road Cowley. Avoid this one and also the one called White Lodge.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank RoomWithAViewpoint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Jersey
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I was visiting my father who was a patient at Hillingdon hospital and had been supplied with a list of guest-houses in the area. I decided on this one after the owner told me that it was less than half a mile from the hospital. In reality it is at least double that.

I can honestly say that this is the grottiest place that I have ever stayed. I cannot believe that places like this still exist in 2008. On arrival I was asked to pay for my accomodation before being taken up to my room. On seeing the room I understood why. Anyone seeing the room before paying would have walked straight out. I will never fall for that one again.

The room was dark, dingy and smelt. The curtains were old and discoloured and far too big for the window. The bedside lamp shade had come away from the lamp and was torn. It was black from the heat of the light bulb and covered in stains. It was absolutely disgusting. The pièce de résistance however was the mattress. To say it was fit for the dump would be a huge understatement. In any other household it would have been thrown away years ago. It was thin and lumpy with springs poking out everywhere. I went to sleep fully clothed. The radiator was discoloured and covered in brown stains from where it had leaked in the past. Loose teabagas were left in an open whicker basket on the side. I had absolutely no intenton of using them or the kettle.

A threadbare towel, not much thicker than a tea-towel had been left on the bed. There was a small sink in the room. Only the cold tap worked. There was a communal shower room with toliet which, I declined to use.

Breakfast consisted of a fried egg, a spoonful of beaked beans and three thin sausages of the cheapest variety. They were almost hollow and tasted disgusting. I left them.

I can honestly say I would rather have stayed in the foyer of Hillingdon hospital than stay in this pit. I cannot belive that a place as sub-standard as this is allowed to operate as a guest-house in the twenty first century.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything - there are no redeeming features
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank MrChips43

Travellers are raving about these Uxbridge hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Uxbridge
The Red Lion Hotel
easyHotel London Heathrow
#21 of 23 in Hounslow
Waterside Bed and Breakfast
Premier Inn Uxbridge Hotel

Been to Brunel Lodge? Share your experiences!