“very good”

David Lloyd Hampton
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I Teach Yoga/Pilate in most clubs around Richmond. Teddington, Twickenham, chiswick and find the staff in David Lloyds very friendly and professional. The atmosphere is very warm and friendly. They seem to have different facilities to provide their member . You can actually spend good few hours there without getting board.

All reviews
"top class"
"wet spa"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Hampton David Lloyd is a well presented gym and certainly better maintained than other DL clubs where I have been a member since 2001. However, I have come to know of many issues from other members regarding the management of this club. I heard about a range of concerns from senior members (from the Amida days) about being routinely ignored to ineffective management effort in dealing with a case of racial abuse. I had not experienced any issues at the club so I took on board what I heard from others quite rightly with an open mind.

I maintained this view until October 2013 when my changing room (male) locker was broken and money stolen from my wallet. A few other lockers were also broken at the same time belonging to DL kitchen staff, which seemed a bit odd and suspicious. An expensive watch had also been stolen from a locker a few months earlier. The wood used in the lockers is pretty flimsy and not to the same standard as other clubs. The general manager was initially apologetic and said I would have to contact the police myself to report the crime. I did so and was told that theft occurs quite often at this club. However, the fact that I had my locker broken is not my main issue with this club. It is about how I was treated after the crime.

I then spoke to the operation manager at Hampton and voiced my concerns about security at the club, having spoken to the police earlier. The response from the manager was along the lines that I didn’t have to attend that particular club and was free to visit other clubs (I was a member of Heston David Lloyd as my base) if I felt security was not up to scratch at Hampton. To be told this within 3 hours of the crime was not only poor form but demonstrates an utter lack of basic customer service skills. I was offered the use of the main safe in reception to leave my valuables, which was hardly practical. Other clubs, such as Heston, offer mini-lockers in the reception area for members to leave valuables. Hampton needs to take the theft problem it clearly has more seriously.

To make matters worse, the operation manager went on to say that if I was still not satisfied with what they could offer in terms of security, they would be happy to cancel my membership altogether. This was deeply concerning as I was being coerced into leaving against my will. I subsequently wrote a complaint to member services at head office and received an acknowledgement email. However, it was totally ignored for 3 weeks and when I phoned to chase it I was told it was being dealt with. I rang again a week later to be told by another member of staff that there was no record of my complaint at all - essentially I was told lies by the earlier staff member who said my complaint was being dealt with. I was shocked with this behaviour and decided to print a copy of the complaint I had sent, the acknowledgement email from head office that my email had been received and a further complaint about the lies regarding my initial complaint (in addition to the theft!) to the regional director.

I received a written response within a few days, which was not really fit for purpose and to make matters worse had grammatical mistakes that you wouldn’t expect to see had proper due care been taken in the first place. At this point I was absolutely sick of dealing with incompetent staff at David Lloyd and decided to cancel my membership with my home club at Heston (despite this club not being involved in any of my concerns). Being a victim of crime, I wanted to cancel on the spot but they wouldn't allow it. I had to give 3 months notice. The customer service is atrocious both at Hampton and at Head Office level. To have your email ignored for 3 weeks and then told lies is unacceptable (though quite routine having spoken to other members who have done the same). Members should be aware that theft is rife in most clubs. I was told by my home club manager that a Rolex watch had recently been stolen from the gym in Brighton.

My theft was a small sum and I appreciate lockers will get broken from time to time. What I will not put up with is being coerced into cancelling my membership so soon after being a victim of crime and being spoken to in the manner that I was by the operations manager at Hampton. I now believe age and racial discrimination appear to be hidden issues at this club. Recently, a more diverse crowd have started using this club from other DL clubs in the region. This appears to be a concern for DL management rather than a positive. I certainly feel that I would not been spoken to in the way I was by the operations manager had I been a home member at Hampton and fitted the profile of the majority of the clientele.

The other comments below are largely correct regarding kids etc. Join this gym if you want to be a victim of crime (locker theft, car crime etc.) and then treated as a non-customer, especially if you don’t fit their preferred member profile of a local mother with small kids with plenty of time to sit around and have coffees all day.

All that leaves to be said is well done to the operations ‘manager’ at Hampton and head office staff for losing a loyal DL customer of 12 years standing. I will never join your clubs again.

33  Thank Dover6Juliet
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I do agree with a lot of the negative feedback a lot of the other people have put on here. This club is well past it's Best Ever a long time ago. There are lots of issues here, yes, the staff are certainly rude, they need serious training in Customer Relations. If you bother to give them any feedback, absolutely nothing is done about it. They NEVER ever get back to you when they have promised they will. My friend and I got 2 different amount when it was time to renew the membership, although we both have the same type of membership. The Gym is never thoroughly cleaned, there is always sweat on machines and floor, a lot of the time machines are not working and they don't seem to get repaired promptly, a nuisance when they may only have 1 of that particular one. There is never a property working weighing machine there and their printers don't always work. The Spa: The female changing area is often a mess, a lot of the lockers don't work, the shower areas is not clean and there is often hair everywhere, empty shampoo bottles etc, and soap box is empty and no tissues near mirrors. The Spa itself, the water in the Jacuzzi area is often not as warm as it should be, the sauna is not attractive, areas of bench falling apart and nothing matches. The Cold plunge pool is often out of service and the warm beds around also don't get warm enough. The 4 showers are all very unreliable, often they will not work so people don't even bother to shower before getting from one area into another. There are so many small tiles in the pools missing, your costumes get damaged, and it has drawn blood as well. Children are not allowed in the Spa, but sometimes you will see the odd family letting their kids in - at times their staff don't notice and things are fine. But it is hard for the parents as they do have to walk past this area to take their children to the big pool area. They seem to change the temperature of the big pool water depending on what activity is going on, so the water temp is also very unreliable. The pool out in the open, well, I gave up on it as in the summer it got so packed there was no room for anything, they don't have enough space nor sun beds, you just sit on the floor. The restaurant area, I didn't spend much time here, as the food was well expensive, the lighting is dark, and one would be lucky to get hold of the newspapers as well, or in one piece! I have often heard of the men's lockers being forced open and items being stolen - the management do nothing about it and are not interested.
I could say more, but I don't want to do the management's job!
This club needs a major overhaul, of the place itself and it's staff, starting with the GM.
I cancelled my membership having got fed up.

16  Thank malnit56
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Unbelievable staff planning to sign up today , becoz i requested i wanted to sign up with the manager, unfortunately he is on annual leave. Referred me with another staff OMG, maybe is becoz she is doing work on behalf of manager, so she doesn't get commission, she was extremely rude!!! She seem so annoyed when u asked her questions !!! So sad a nice classy club but employed such a rude staff 'Tori' club has automatically downgrade themself lol

9  Thank princess1168
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Worst customer service ever received at a gym. They are so nice until they get their contract then they don't care to upset you! I think this club is badly managed and it shows in their arrogant staff members. Every day I was there I came across rudeness from their staff to customers. They are always prepared to upset a client by charging a fee for a towel that the client has forgotten to bring. After paying £120 a month, you are charged for using one of their towels. A small incident like this caused my own son to terminate his membership and go to half the price Virgin which has complimentary towels and the reception staff are never rude! After upgrading to Vantage their top membership package, they still would not let my husband and I use the premier changing room and would not even put us on the wait list, saying it was full. The shower always ran out of soap and it is often too overcrowded with children that the vibe is not of fitness as too much noise. The staff seriously need to address Customer Service and be trained accordingly including their manager as obvious she is not running this gym to its potential. Virgin Twickenham puts David Lloyds to shame not only on price but cleanliness, music, equipment, customer service, vibe, trainers, classes - no hard choice - GO TO VIRGIN !

15  Thank Essexwold