“Riding fast and fun”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Riding fast and fun”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Photographing a wedding in the New Forest. I was asked by the Bride and her Bridesmaid to join them on a 2 hr hack. Had a great ride on the wonderful Breeze. Led by the lovely Nina we had lots of lovely long canters on the wonderful New Forest tracks past the wild ponies.

The stables are clean and tidy and their top priority is the welfare of their horses and clients. Each horse is matched to the riders ability.

Unfortunately, Burley Riding Stables are a six hour drive from my home -so this was a wonderful treat.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Glynisphotos

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Rude Manager; awful booking experience.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I called to enquire about horse riding on a sunday. I spoke to who I guess is the Manager. Myself and my Partner wanted to ride in the afternoon. Her sales technique was almost bullying me into booking a ride at 9am. "You shouldn't be spending all morning in bed anyway" I was told things like this which is worse than I would ever expect from my Mother.
I told her that I want to ride late morning. She then said to call back at 1630 to find out if this was possible. I did this and I was advised that there was no chance of a later ride so I advised I wanted to cancel. I hadn't spoken to the Manager that time but, was advised that the cancellation was fine as I hadn't been put in the book anyhow.
At 9am the next day I had the initial woman (I'm guessing the manager) on the phone ranting and raving (telling me off) for not being there. I told her that I had called up at 1630 the afternoon before and advised that I didn't want to ride at 9am. I had to ask her to stop speaking because I couldn't get a word in edgeways. I explained what had happened and said my piece only to find she wouldn't respond after until I had told her she could speak again. I found this very childish! She denied that a call had been made. She asked someone in the background who I recognised to be the female I spoke to about the cancellation. She said that she did take a phone call to cancel at 1630 but, I feel the manager was manipulating their conversation. I had proof on the mobile phone that the calls had been made. I think she realised that they had messed up and the phone call was promptly ended.
Long and short of this ordeal is a break down in communication on her side and the customer service (people) skills I experienced were appalling. This was so bad I would never want to learn to ride with someone from these stables and advise other people to avoid or approach this service with caution!

Visited June 2014
9 Thank LeeC17
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great ride”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I booked in for a one hour experienced riders ride. I was fortunate to have an escort to myself (it was a 9am -10am slot) and we had a wonderful ride on the open heathland with a good number of opportunities to canter. I have previously been on mixed ability rides here but would recommend the experienced riders only option if you can ride. My horse was a pleasure to ride and forward going. I found the escort friendly and the atmosphere at the stables friendly and efficient even though it was very busy as it was the half-term school holidays.

1 Thank 165Jackie_
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Burley Manor hotel and Stables”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I received as a present for my 60 birthday from my daughter a night in the hotel and a horse ride next day.It was all surprise for me. When we left our house in London ,i didn't even know where we are going. After two hours by car i saw " the paradise"- green forest, dears,horses,birds singing,sunset
The hotel is fantastic- nice,romantic looks,very friendly staff,the food- wonderful.The other visitors were families or couples.Most of them we met next day in the stables.They all look like enjoying their time .
We went to the stables next morning and we were pleased to meet very professional and hard working women there. They were friendly ,cheerful and helpful.
The one hour ride around was wonderful. I was happy to improve my riding,my daughter too.
I am in love:)) with the horse i ride- Tango ,although he is a bit capricious
I look forward my next visit to Burley, Burley Manor hotel and the Stables.
Thank you, guys ,for making my day!
Nina

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Disappointing, rude manager”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently rode here with my friend who is a beginner, I myself can ride and own horses but none are suitable for her to ride, so the 1 hour mixed ability here seemed a great idea. It was easy enough to book in and we found it fine as we are fairly local.
However, upon arrival the place was just chaotic. You are told not to touch any horse in the stables as they may bite you, reassuring! The yard manager/owner shouts, a lot! My friend was not helped to fit a hat so I had to fit it for her and nobody checked this before she was mounted which I found odd. The horses looked miserable, tired and old. I noticed one was lame but was sent straight out on the ride we were going with. I pointed this out to our ride leader who said that horse 'just walks like that' ?! Our ride was nearly an hour late leaving which would be a nightmare if you've booked a taxi! I was put at the front of the ride whilst my friend was some 20 horses behind at the back! I asked if we could ride together and was very rudely barked at that the horses MUST go in this specific order, so why put 2 people wanting to ride together on horses so far apart? I did ask again when the ride left if we could be moved closer together but was told my friends horse 'Hayley' was a nasty kicker so the order must stay as it was. I didn't see my friend for the entire ride as the ride was so long, very disappointing. The staff did their absolute best to deliver a safe ride, though the sheer number in the group seemed a hazard in itself. There were several people being constantly shouted at to 'kick it harder' to keep some horses with the group. This was a pointless task with the poor beginners sat on top with not a clue about what they were doing! It somewhat ruined the atmosphere of the ride as well. I would not recommend this place due to the enormous size of the ride, the general lack of care shown to the customer and the horses seemed very over worked. There are much nicer yards in the new forest doing a much better job!

8 Thank PBR94