“A really lovely break.”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 days at the end of September 2011 (in the late summer sizzler weather). The location is wonderful. Our room (what they call a "Keeper" room) was pleasant, it was small (but I knew it would be from the description), with the en-suite being a small shower and toilet behind a sliding door. The only rather odd thing was that the sink was actually in the bedroom (a vanity-style unit). We were in Room 11 on the top floor - this was rather warm in the unseasonably hot weather, but there was a fan already provided in the bedroom. We were on a dinner, B&B package and ate in the hotel on both nights. The food was delicious, beautifully cooked and presented by excellent waiting staff (unlike the previous reviewer who said they waited 25 mins between courses). Highlights were the pan-seared haunch of venison my husband had, which was the best he had ever eaten and my duck breast was fabulous. The sardine bruschetta with tomato salsa was so good, he had it both nights and the ice creams that accompanied the desserts (banana and burnt orange) were some of the best I have eaten. The grounds are lovely and are a very peaceful place to wind down after a busy day sightseeing in the New Forest. One morning we saw some of the pigs, that are let out this time of year to feast on the (plentiful) acorns, in the surrounding forest by the car park (the actual gardens are fenced off). We did not use the pool (it looked very small). If I had to make one suggestion, it would be a fresh fruit salad or melon at breakfast rather than dried prunes or apricots - the bacon and sausage at breakfast is (again) some of the nicest we have tasted. A really lovely place to stay - if you can afford it, go for a bigger room. Air con in the rooms (it is in the restaurant) would be a nice addition, but in an old building like this I guess it may not be very easy to install.

Room Tip: I booked on the internet - it may be worth ringing the hotel to find out exactly how the room is lai...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterBiggles
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for your lovely review, we are so glad you enjoyed your break and enjoyed the food in our restaurant.

The pigs you mention come out for 'pannage'. From around the third week in September each year for a couple of months, the famous New Forest ponies, cattle and donkeys are joined by another group of animals – pigs.

Commoners let their pigs loose on the Forest to hoover up fallen acorns which are poisonous to ponies and cattle and can cause internal bleeding and death. The pigs also eat beech mast, crab apples and anything else they can find.

We look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Moorhill House Hotel

Reviewed 1 October 2011

My wife and I stayed one night and wished we had longer. Very comfortable and good size room with large balcony. Food and service was good and the staff very helpful. The room was clean but there were a couple of dirty glasses on the balcony.

Room Tip: Not sure about wheelchair access, but I have mobility problems and the staff were very accommodating...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you had a restful stay with us. We apologise for the dirty glasses on the balcony, this matter has been addressed with housekeeping. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I chose the Moorhill to rest after illness. The location is superb, the hotel is not. My 1st room was ground floor, near the pool. Dark and depressing. My 2nd room was in the attic - dark and depressing and given to me in error - hence a move to my 3rd room which was also in the attic. I attach a photo of the quality of the duvet - pockets of lumps of filling. I was told this was a new duvet ! There is no soundproofing whatsoever - I had to wear ear plus to block out snoring from the next room. The whole building creaks - every stair/every ceiling/every door. Do you like children running about and using the hotel piano as a toy - then this is the place for you. I attach a photo of a typical croissant served at breakfast and you should expect to wait 25 minutes between courses at evening meal. My 7 day stay was cut to 5 because I had simply had enough. My complaints were sent to Christine Turner, who responded with a standard apology and an offer of 1 nights B&B ! My 2nd email to her was ignored as she decided "there was nothing else she could do". How about giving me my money back?

Room Tip: There isn't one
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Jan S
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for your promised review. I am sorry that Moorhill House did not meet your expectations and on this occasion failed to deliver the high level of service we aim to offer all guests. As mentioned in previous correspondence, your comments have all been investigated and actioned where necessary.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Visit this week was great! Stunning surroundings! Wild horses roaming:-)
Only slight problem was being on the 3rd floor with 2 2year olds!
Staff reccomemded the queens head pub, a beautiful 10 min walk. This was the only activity of our stay that we would avoide completely if you have small children. The staff were rude, very unhelpful with baby seats, the macaroni cheese from baby menu was uneatable and made 1 of the 2 year olds gag!
Apart from the queens head we had a fantastic stay! And will be staying again the next time we visit peppa pig!:-)

• Stayed: August 2011
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for your review, next time you visit you should try our Rosette restaurant situated in the hotel for your meal.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

This hotel is perfect for a short family break. We stayed for three nights, with a fellow family of four visiting the New Forest. Even though there were two weddings on the weekend we stayed, the staff were excellent in spite of the hotel being extra busy.
The family rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast were fine, and the pool sufficient to keep the kids happy.
The front lawns with badminton and croquet help smaller children blow off a bit of steam when needed.
Overall, a great experience. and recommended for a super base for a family weekend in the New Forest

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Neil R

We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

My partner and I booked a special deal, 3 nights for the price of 2, just as a break from the hustle and bustle of life.The hotel is tucked away, on the outskirts of Burley village, along a long unmade lane.Lovely lawns and gardens, with croquet and badmington.Staff were so friendly and attentive. We had a newly refurbished Algister room,which was immaculate.Evening meal, included , in a £22 voucher,was cooked to perfection,and beautifully presented.The local lamb wonderful.Again the restaurant staff were happy and there for your every need. Tiny indoor pool and sauna...ok. We will definately visit again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for Algister rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you for your lovely review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

This hotel is set in a beautiful location and a short walk away from Burley. However I was a little disappointed in the hotel and if I had paid full price I would have been underwhelmed. The hotel staff are really lovely and very helpful, but the hotel itself is in need of a re-vamp and the decor is just odd. The cooked breakfast was not very nice and the second day we just stuck to cereal. We had room 6 which is right above a smokers point so if you are non-smokers like we are then its not very nice going to sleep with smoke wafting in your room!

However on a more positive note the hotel's garden is lovely and there is a croquet lawn and badminton net which we made good use of!

Overall , bit of a let down and not worth the price that this hotel charges.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cooked breakfast, it's generally a hit with everyone especially now we have a new breakfast menu. I am pleased that the staff looked after you and the gardens did us justice, Hopefully we will get the opportunity of welcoming you back. Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!