“Lovely, relaxing stay!”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I visited Moorhill House during the October half term week for a 3 night stay. I travelled with my Mum and my 7 year old son. My Mum has limited mobility and the hotel very kindly gave us a free upgrade to a very spacious room on the ground floor that was easily accessible. The room was very pleasant and exceptionally clean, as was the bathroom.
The approach to the hotel is stunning. A short drive through the woods brings you to the hotel and it's idyllic, peaceful surroundings. The location is superb for exploring the local area with the whole of the New Forest only a short drive away.
The swimming pool although small, is perfectly adequate. My son and I spent a lot of time in there and quite often had it to ourselves even though the hotel was full.
As has been said in other reviews, the food is wonderful. Both breakfast and dinner were exceptional with a good selection to choose from. The service in the restaurant was very attentive and professional.
If I had to find fault with the hotel, it would be that the corridor leading to the restaurant could do with redecorating. It looked a little tired to me. In addition, a glass panel in the door to the swimming pool was cracked and covered with tape which didn't look too good. Also, I love my wine and found the wine list limited and expensive. Other than that the hotel is faultless.
I will definitely be returning to Moorhill House although next time I will bring my beloved doggy too!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsR1974
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased you, your mother and son enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed the broken glass in the door to our Maintenance Manager to have repaired. We look forward to seeing you and your dog very soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Our second break at the Moorhill (two night break last year). As last year all the staff are very friendly. The food is superb and reasonably priced. The room was cleaned daily to a high standard. As long as the buy one get one free offer continues we will be back next year! Thanks very much for making our stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for your review. We are glad you managed a longer break this time, please keep checking our website for news about our special offers. We hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Lovely, comfortable break in a wonderful secluded setting on the egde of the New Forest.

Rooms were clean, and beds were very comfortable, staff were also extremely friendly and helpful.

Food was top notch, couldn't fault it, very reasonably priced and a faily good variety of dishes from which to choose

Although I only got 1 night here, I wouldn't hesitate to come back here in the future. Wonderful hotel in which to stay!

Room Tip: The 'family room', which is more of a suite has a large double bed, large wardrobe with bath...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thank you for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the unique family room with the mezzanine level within the hotel and the quality of food in restaurant.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 days at the end of September 2011 (in the late summer sizzler weather). The location is wonderful. Our room (what they call a "Keeper" room) was pleasant, it was small (but I knew it would be from the description), with the en-suite being a small shower and toilet behind a sliding door. The only rather odd thing was that the sink was actually in the bedroom (a vanity-style unit). We were in Room 11 on the top floor - this was rather warm in the unseasonably hot weather, but there was a fan already provided in the bedroom. We were on a dinner, B&B package and ate in the hotel on both nights. The food was delicious, beautifully cooked and presented by excellent waiting staff (unlike the previous reviewer who said they waited 25 mins between courses). Highlights were the pan-seared haunch of venison my husband had, which was the best he had ever eaten and my duck breast was fabulous. The sardine bruschetta with tomato salsa was so good, he had it both nights and the ice creams that accompanied the desserts (banana and burnt orange) were some of the best I have eaten. The grounds are lovely and are a very peaceful place to wind down after a busy day sightseeing in the New Forest. One morning we saw some of the pigs, that are let out this time of year to feast on the (plentiful) acorns, in the surrounding forest by the car park (the actual gardens are fenced off). We did not use the pool (it looked very small). If I had to make one suggestion, it would be a fresh fruit salad or melon at breakfast rather than dried prunes or apricots - the bacon and sausage at breakfast is (again) some of the nicest we have tasted. A really lovely place to stay - if you can afford it, go for a bigger room. Air con in the rooms (it is in the restaurant) would be a nice addition, but in an old building like this I guess it may not be very easy to install.

Room Tip: I booked on the internet - it may be worth ringing the hotel to find out exactly how the room is lai...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterBiggles
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for your lovely review, we are so glad you enjoyed your break and enjoyed the food in our restaurant.

The pigs you mention come out for 'pannage'. From around the third week in September each year for a couple of months, the famous New Forest ponies, cattle and donkeys are joined by another group of animals – pigs.

Commoners let their pigs loose on the Forest to hoover up fallen acorns which are poisonous to ponies and cattle and can cause internal bleeding and death. The pigs also eat beech mast, crab apples and anything else they can find.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

My wife and I stayed one night and wished we had longer. Very comfortable and good size room with large balcony. Food and service was good and the staff very helpful. The room was clean but there were a couple of dirty glasses on the balcony.

Room Tip: Not sure about wheelchair access, but I have mobility problems and the staff were very accommodating...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you had a restful stay with us. We apologise for the dirty glasses on the balcony, this matter has been addressed with housekeeping. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I chose the Moorhill to rest after illness. The location is superb, the hotel is not. My 1st room was ground floor, near the pool. Dark and depressing. My 2nd room was in the attic - dark and depressing and given to me in error - hence a move to my 3rd room which was also in the attic. I attach a photo of the quality of the duvet - pockets of lumps of filling. I was told this was a new duvet ! There is no soundproofing whatsoever - I had to wear ear plus to block out snoring from the next room. The whole building creaks - every stair/every ceiling/every door. Do you like children running about and using the hotel piano as a toy - then this is the place for you. I attach a photo of a typical croissant served at breakfast and you should expect to wait 25 minutes between courses at evening meal. My 7 day stay was cut to 5 because I had simply had enough. My complaints were sent to Christine Turner, who responded with a standard apology and an offer of 1 nights B&B ! My 2nd email to her was ignored as she decided "there was nothing else she could do". How about giving me my money back?

Room Tip: There isn't one
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Jan S
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for your promised review. I am sorry that Moorhill House did not meet your expectations and on this occasion failed to deliver the high level of service we aim to offer all guests. As mentioned in previous correspondence, your comments have all been investigated and actioned where necessary.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Visit this week was great! Stunning surroundings! Wild horses roaming:-)
Only slight problem was being on the 3rd floor with 2 2year olds!
Staff reccomemded the queens head pub, a beautiful 10 min walk. This was the only activity of our stay that we would avoide completely if you have small children. The staff were rude, very unhelpful with baby seats, the macaroni cheese from baby menu was uneatable and made 1 of the 2 year olds gag!
Apart from the queens head we had a fantastic stay! And will be staying again the next time we visit peppa pig!:-)

• Stayed: August 2011
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for your review, next time you visit you should try our Rosette restaurant situated in the hotel for your meal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!