“Nice Weekend in the New Forest”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We booked the Moorhill Hotel as part of Travel Offers and we found it very good value for money.
The staff were very polite and always helpful. The Double Bedroom we had was very clean but quite small ( room number 19) it did not bother us as we were only there for a few days
The food was excellent. The only problem we found was, we had to wait a long time for meals to be served, not good when you have a day planned on the Tour Bus which leaves at 11.am I was worried that we would be to late for the it. sometimes you could wait up to three quarters of an hour. On one occassion I asked one of the waitress's if they had forgotten us "she said everything is cooked to order and it will be ready when its ready" Not the best reply But I could see she was being asked by most people in the resturant that night . Other wise great Hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was nice but small Room 19...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Moorhill House Hotel. We appreciate guests comments as it enables us to monitor our service. I will ensure your comments regarding the wait for meals is investigated further but I hope this will not put you off returning for another stay.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is a very friendly hotel with pleasant public rooms and a great restaurant. The only downside was a standard double bed which was a little springy. I enquired what I needed to do next time to secure a bigger bed and was advised that they were the same in all rooms except room 10 which can be two singles joined together. It's in a super location and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing this review following your recent stay at the Moorhill House Hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable visit and hope you will return for another stay soon!

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We booked the Moorhill House Hotel through the peppapigworld site in conjunction with tickets to Paulton's Park.
We had a lovely room. Our 2 girls got to sleep in bunk beds which was a big hit. They had the cot ready and waiting in the room for our son. It had a nice big bathroom. The dinner and breakfast were very nice, couldn't ask for more. The indoor swimming pool was a bit cold but was nice for the kids and mum to have a swim in the morning. It is very close to the nice village of Burley and lots of good places for walking in the New Forest.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

I am delighted to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at the Moorhill House! Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you visit Peppa Pig World!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We booked as part of the Peppa Pig 2 day package and not much else was left, choice wise. We went with Moorhill House, and all I can say is, what a wonderful stay it really was. The staff could not have done more for us.

We arrived tired and with an overtired toddler to find that the travel cot had been put up and prepared for us in our room - I didn't even request this, it was simply done for us. We were given a room next to the bar and found that there was not one single noise from the bar all night. We all had good sleeps.

Staff were able to provide a baby listening service which we used and spent a lovely evening in the lounge playing chess and relaxing. The staff came over to check we were ok, helped us locate a phone charger, and served our dinner to us in the big comfy sofa's by the fireplace.

In the morning, we found that a high chair had been placed for us at a table in the restaurant. Again, this was just such a small detail that makes a morning so much easier. Breakfast was nice and there was lots of choice for our small son.

The only thing I found odd was that we were in a disabled room (which was fine) that had a step? I can't see that it would be feasible for wheelchair users.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Moorhill House Hotel. I am delighted to hear you were well taken care of by our staff and that you had a relaxing visit. I do hope you will stay with us again in the near future and hope you all enjoyed your visit with Peppa Pig too!

Reviewed 29 August 2012

This review is a little late I'm afraid. I really wanted to review this hotel though as I note mixed reviews and on the two occasions we have stayed here, April 2011 and April 2012, we have loved it! Both our visits have been the special offer buy one night B&B and evening meal and get another free. The first time we visited we came as a couple and this year we brought along some friends as they had liked our description of Moorhill House and I'm pleased to say that they enjoyed it as much as us. The first time we stayed we were given a free upgrade on our room. It was great, no 5 I think, directly above the entrance, with all the stain glass. We were unable to get an upgrade last time as they were busier. Our room was still very nice though, no 6. Rooms are very clean with nice toiletries and the higher graded rooms have extras such as iPod docking station, fluffy robes and slippers with nicer bathrooms. The seating areas around the hotel are all very nice, especially the lounge with the piano and overlooks the lovely grounds. True, it's not all brand spanking new but it has character and is clean and comfortable. Last time the weather on the Sunday was glorious and we sat out in the garden on the patio for several hours with our friends, ordered a bottle of wine and some sandwiches which came beautifully presented, it really is the most loveliest setting.

The hotel is situated in a beautiful part of The New Forest. Nice walks and/or bike rides are ideally suited to this area. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the village of Burley along the road or there is also a short cut through the forest (ask at reception and they'll explain it). There are also some nice shops, tea rooms and pubs in the village.

Staff our very helpful and friendly and they do have to multi task reception and the bar amongst other duties. Evening meals are absolutely delicious and very well presented as are the breakfasts with plenty of choice. I do agree with a fellow reviewer's comments regarding some of the waiting staff and their inexperience. They are all really sweet and very polite but some of them are so young.

We did use the swimming pool and the sauna on both visits. It's a nice little area with lovely white fluffy towels provided, the pool is very small but okay if you just want to do a few lengths to work off the nice meals! Unfortunately the last time we came the sauna was broken on our second day but that's just one of those things and as it was a Sunday, I guess it wasn't viable for them to get someone out?

One little thing that slightly annoyed me following our last visit - I left my cotton bath robe behind. It was hung on the hook on the bathroom door. I would have expected the maid to find it and let reception know. When I realised it was missing, I telephoned and was told to call back in a week or so. I did so and was told that it was likely because it was white, it was probably sent to the laundry. I was told the maid may have assumed that it belonged to the hotel. I do find this a little hard to accept as we were not staying in one of the superior rooms and surely they would of realised this and equally it was nothing like the robes that the hotel provide.

We highly recommend this little gem of a place hidden away in The New Forest and I'm sure we'll be back again next year. In fact they gave us some vouchers when we checked out last time, so it would be a shame not to put them to use.

Room Tip: Superior room above the entrance is lovely, it's called a Verderer room, no 5 I think? Very lux...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable repeat visit to the Moorhill House Hotel. I am sorry that your robe was mislayed, but hope this won't put you off returning again next year. Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind review.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

For the price the hotel decor is very dated and the room we stayed in had no shower, just an attachment on the bath. The staff were very helpful and pleasant and as a whole the hotel is very family freindly. The cooked breakfasts were on the whole poor with overcooked eggs, very fatty bacon and what appeared to be the cheapest of sausages. Pancakes were not cooked through and very heavy consistency - more like dough. The food was below the standard of a cafe on any high street. If you are looking for somewhere to stay that is slightly nicer than the norm, then this is not the hotel to choose. If you are looking for a clean hotel with well trained staff, and quantity in food is more important than quality then this would be an acceptable choice.

1  Thank visitor718

Thank you for your review and taking the time to write it. We appreciate guests comments as it helps us to monitor the service and I will ensure yours are investigated.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I arrived at Moorhill House on Sunday for a last minute break with my two children aged 5 and 2 years old. We had a really warm and friendly welcome from the receptionist. We had just missed lunch but she was happy to get the kitchen to make us some sandwiches, though as our room wasn't quite ready we opted to go out for lunch instead. (A great hog roast in a big garden at the White Hart just opposite the entrance to the hotel) On our return we had a drink in the garden whilst the children ran around. We made use of the little pool (a tad chilly, not that the children minded) and enjoyed playing games in the Garden Room. The family room we had was clean and welcoming with a lovely four poster bed and a sofa bed for one daughter and a cot for the baby. Everything was laid out beautifully and we had great views from our room.

Dinner was a real revelation - perfectly cooked scallops with a curried cauliflower puree and parma ham, excellent cod with sauteed leeks, crushed new potatoes and a delicious chive butter sauce. We were so full we didn't have puddings but from the standard of the rest of the food, I'm sure we missed a treat. The children tucked into their chunky chips and plaice goujons with ice cream for afters. The Restaurant Manager was charming as were the other staff, they helped me negotiate the wine list without any embarrassment (in my exhausted state I nearly ordered a pudding wine with my fish!) and they were very considerate with the children.

We slept well and were then treated again to a wonderful breakfast - buffet style with juices, cereal and fruit and then an amazing cooked to order full English with really good bacon and sausage, toast and croissants. There was plenty of choice on the menu - buttermilk pancakes and vegetarian options - they obviously have a really good chef. Again the staff were helpful and cheery, offering to fetch high chairs and top ups of toast and tea.

Another quick swim and we were off back to London having had the most relaxing time. A real gem of a hotel - the staff are so wonderful and really make this place. I've seen other reviews that describe the hotel as shabby - I can't disagree more. It's homely and welcoming, clean and friendly and just the sort of place you can relax with children and not worry. It's definitely not grand but it's not stuffy either - more of a home from home.

For a very reasonably priced break with your family, I can't recommend Moorhill House highly enough.

Room Tip: We had room 32 - a large family room that we really liked with views of the garden.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

I am delighted to read your review following your recent stay with your family! Thank you for kind comments and I do hope you will return for another visit soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!