Moorhill House Hotel
US$85
US$71
New Park Manor(Brockenhurst)
US$286
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$291
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnew forestpool and saunastaff were all friendlydog towelshotel is situatedtucked awaylovely locationfriendly hotelfamily roombed and breakfastcourse dinnershort breakfour poster bedrelaxing breakeach eveninglounge areaburley village
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My wife and I took a 3 night break at this hotel between Christmas and New Year. £120 per night bed & breakfast which I think is a bit on the high side for a three star hotel but acceptable if everything is ok. However things were not ok.
The room was clean and comfortable but that was the best I can say for it. You could hear all the noise from the surrounding rooms and being an old property the floors really creaked. The bath panel was cracked and all in all the room not in top shape.
To say the swimming pool is small is being kind. I am 6ft 4in. I took one look at the pool and decided it would be a waste of time as I would only need to stretch out to complete a length.
However my main complaint with this hotel is the charges in the restaurant. We stayed in for dinner on the first night and on entering the restaurant were given the a la carte menu. My wife noticed food being delivered to other tables which was not listed on this menu and on enquiring found out there was also a fixed price three course menu (had we not asked it would not have been offered). My wife had the fixed price menu, the soup being only warm and thick as sludge, the main being adequate but nothing special, and the sweet, supposedly sticky toffee pudding being more like dry ginger cake. I had the a la carte, the starter being some slices of mushroom on soggy toast, the main being a small piece of lamb, 4 pieces of parsnip and a small round potato dish. Cost £45 which may not sound bad, but is way over the top for the food we received. Adding insult to injury was a bottle of Chilean Rose wine at over £20 (£5 on Tesco's shelves).
At breakfast the next morning I noticed another scheme by the hotel to get extra money. A cooked breakfast as per bed and breakfast charges consists of egg, bacon and sausage. If you want to add fried bread, mushrooms, or black pudding be prepared to pay an additional 50p per item. In all my years of traveling in this country and abroad I have never had to pay additional charges on a breakfast when I have already paid the going B & B rate.
I can only advise people to use this hotel with caution as it may cost you considerably more than you budget. What I can say is that there are two excellent pubs in Burley village, both of which we tried for dinner, and received far better food than the hotel dishes up, at a fraction of the price.
On leaving the hotel we received some vouchers for a free nights stay when booking at any of the four group hotels. Will I be using the vouchers? I very much doubt it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I spent the night at this hotel after our office Christmas party was hosted at the same venue. I have to say the experience was wonderful in every way. The hotel itself is deep in the forest a short walk from Burley town centre, which is a beautiful little setting in the New Forest in it's own right.

The long windy drive to the hotel adds to the mystic feel of the place and then everything else falls nicely into place. The young receptionist (who also filled in as bar person!) called Abbie (i think!) was extremely welcoming and friendly - the check in process was very simple. The rooms were beautiful - clean - well presented - nice touches and all of them very different (according to the 20 or so people we had staying!).

The evening event was absolutely tremendous. The food was perfect in every way and the service impeccable - no complaints or issues which is unusual considering there were a huge amount of people all being served at the same time. The continued evening of disco, drinking and fun was an absolute pleasure. The staff were wonderful and made sure everyone was well looked after.

The following morning the breakfast was beautiful - although a few sore heads meant it took a while longer to eat! There is something in the air here that makes you feel very relaxed and at home. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ross N
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Booked as a pre Xmas treat the hotel is in a really pretty village within waking distance of the centre which has lovely little shops and cafes....all in a picturesque setting. The hotel staff are so friendly and welcoming! The rooms are very comfortable and the food very nice and well presented. The main part of the hotel is quaint, maybe a little dated but charming none the less. If you want a relaxing rest...this is the place. It was great to take the dog and the walks about the area are lovely. Being a coeliac, I was offered many options from the menu.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Overall I highly recommend this hotel. The staff were brillant & helpful. The bedrooms were comfortable & clean. The food was excellent. Hats off to the chef! Cannot fault this place & will be coming back over the summer!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Having viewed the Moorhill House Hotel via the internet, the pictures indicate a nicely decorated and comfortable hotel. How wrong and misleading these pictures really were, upon arrival the first room we were provided keys for had a toilet and shower in what can only be described as the wardrobe and the general condition of the room was so poor it forced me to request an alternative room. Unfortunately, the second was not much better, but it did contain a separate bathroom, oh the luxeries of life?

Our visit was very disappointing the hotel and rooms alike can be described at best tired at worst in desperate need of a complete revamp. Therefore, whilst the service in general was reasonable, certainly not to a high standard as suggested in other reviews (watch out for the additional service charge bringing food one set of stairs to your room, cost £3.00 and the additional charge the hotel forgets inform you of when ordering the Crowne Breakfast mainly for one peice of fried bread) I would recommend anyone looking to book a room at this hotel reads all the reviews, as the staged internet pictures of both the hotel and rooms are not an accurate reflection of the tired condition of this hotel and average service offered

In short I shall not be returning anytime soon

RIL

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Richard L
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

I am sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay at the Moorhill House Hotel. The extra charges for the Room Service and Crown Breakfast are clearly laid out on the menu and in the room information folder, so I am sorry if you missed these. Regarding the room you were allocated, our rooms are priced according to size and facilities, but I am pleased to see the hotel gave you a free upgrade to an Agister room. Our plans for January and February are to refurbish the ground floor in the hotel and any bedrooms that have not already been refurbished, should be completed by the end of the year. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our services.