“2 night break”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Had a few nights at the Moorhill Feb 2013, staff very friendly and helpful and made us and our dog feel welcome. Good walks around the area and some great pubs in Burley within easy walking distance. We did have an issue with room 21 because of the noise from the room below (swimming pool fan/chtg) after a few calls to reception we moved room with no fuss and all then was fine. Breakfast good but did not have dinner at the hotel as so many good pubs around , Recommend the White Buck Inn about a mile up the road towards Brockenhurst.

Room Tip: Not room 21 as too noisy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We enjoyed a 3 course Sunday lunch with coffee and petit fours here and can thoroughly recommend it.

Set in Burley, it is in a lovely part of the New Forest. The hotel is situated just off the main road up a nice little quiet road.

Hotel itself is very charming and comfortable, with lovely garden and views.

All 3 courses of food were very good and beautifully cooked.

Service from start to finish was professional and prompt (despite us arriving late!)

It was also nice to 'retire' to the lounge after lunch and enjoy the coffee and petit fours whilst looking out over the lovely garden.

Thumbs up from us, we had a lovely trip out to celebrate our 10th anniversary and would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jrprk
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Myself, wife and dog stayed here between Xmas and new year, we thought it was lovely. Yes we took our dog with us why wouldn't you? The hotel is in the middle of the forest! So perfect for walks. The room was absolutely fine didnt spend much time in it as we were here to go out and enjoy our break.We were on a DBB rate at dinner we were given the a la carte menu and TDH menu, plenty of choice could keep to a budget or spend some money it's up to you! My wife had the TDH menu all very good, and I had the a la carte which was also excellent, reasonable size wine list it's more expensive than tesco but this is a business and at tesco you don't get it served to you etc! Breakfast was also good, basically your given four items (2 rashers of bacon, sausage, tomato and egg) you can change these, then add to it for a small charge, it's better than being given a huge plate of food which you can't eat but you've paid for. Overall the food, rooms, hotel were excellent but the staff is the hotels biggest asset they had all worked all of Xmas and were all working new year but they were all still very helpful and cheery people!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Skywalker316
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We ( the family ) had to attend the nearby village next day so this place seemed the obvious choice....

Room 25, just off the miniscule cave like pool ,through what can only be described as a 'sauna style' door

DB&B £148 for the room, two adults and one 5yr old ( -£30 discount from the manager on departure, see below )

Bad choice.... 1 its getting tired throughout.
2 VERY dog friendly ( note the large basket of used 'dog towels' in the foyer )
3 food awful, service worse
4 bedrooms 1980's
5 bathrooms 1970's

Throw in the usual filthy bathroom extractor, general lack of staff, £2.50 'extra' for an 'english breakfast', badly, if at all lit -massively pot holed 'car park' and drive , dinner service so slow ( it took 42 mins to get our starter, we then left half way through the mains) you generally get the picture.
N.b Hotel not busy so very little excuse.

If your a dog lover ( and I am ) who simply has to take their little darlings away ?? and sit in a lounge full of like minded souls with their favorites ?? then knock yourself out !
(but eat elsewhere)

Few positives, bedroom and dining room clean throughout ( with exception of the bathroom extractor ), cutlery and glassware gleaming, receptionist /bar maid ( one and the same ) excellent !

Room Tip: Maybe the other rooms had all been recently refurbished, do you feel lucky ?
1  Thank hotel-guest45
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My wife and I took a 3 night break at this hotel between Christmas and New Year. £120 per night bed & breakfast which I think is a bit on the high side for a three star hotel but acceptable if everything is ok. However things were not ok.
The room was clean and comfortable but that was the best I can say for it. You could hear all the noise from the surrounding rooms and being an old property the floors really creaked. The bath panel was cracked and all in all the room not in top shape.
To say the swimming pool is small is being kind. I am 6ft 4in. I took one look at the pool and decided it would be a waste of time as I would only need to stretch out to complete a length.
However my main complaint with this hotel is the charges in the restaurant. We stayed in for dinner on the first night and on entering the restaurant were given the a la carte menu. My wife noticed food being delivered to other tables which was not listed on this menu and on enquiring found out there was also a fixed price three course menu (had we not asked it would not have been offered). My wife had the fixed price menu, the soup being only warm and thick as sludge, the main being adequate but nothing special, and the sweet, supposedly sticky toffee pudding being more like dry ginger cake. I had the a la carte, the starter being some slices of mushroom on soggy toast, the main being a small piece of lamb, 4 pieces of parsnip and a small round potato dish. Cost £45 which may not sound bad, but is way over the top for the food we received. Adding insult to injury was a bottle of Chilean Rose wine at over £20 (£5 on Tesco's shelves).
At breakfast the next morning I noticed another scheme by the hotel to get extra money. A cooked breakfast as per bed and breakfast charges consists of egg, bacon and sausage. If you want to add fried bread, mushrooms, or black pudding be prepared to pay an additional 50p per item. In all my years of traveling in this country and abroad I have never had to pay additional charges on a breakfast when I have already paid the going B & B rate.
I can only advise people to use this hotel with caution as it may cost you considerably more than you budget. What I can say is that there are two excellent pubs in Burley village, both of which we tried for dinner, and received far better food than the hotel dishes up, at a fraction of the price.
On leaving the hotel we received some vouchers for a free nights stay when booking at any of the four group hotels. Will I be using the vouchers? I very much doubt it.

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I spent the night at this hotel after our office Christmas party was hosted at the same venue. I have to say the experience was wonderful in every way. The hotel itself is deep in the forest a short walk from Burley town centre, which is a beautiful little setting in the New Forest in it's own right.

The long windy drive to the hotel adds to the mystic feel of the place and then everything else falls nicely into place. The young receptionist (who also filled in as bar person!) called Abbie (i think!) was extremely welcoming and friendly - the check in process was very simple. The rooms were beautiful - clean - well presented - nice touches and all of them very different (according to the 20 or so people we had staying!).

The evening event was absolutely tremendous. The food was perfect in every way and the service impeccable - no complaints or issues which is unusual considering there were a huge amount of people all being served at the same time. The continued evening of disco, drinking and fun was an absolute pleasure. The staff were wonderful and made sure everyone was well looked after.

The following morning the breakfast was beautiful - although a few sore heads meant it took a while longer to eat! There is something in the air here that makes you feel very relaxed and at home. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ross N
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Booked as a pre Xmas treat the hotel is in a really pretty village within waking distance of the centre which has lovely little shops and cafes....all in a picturesque setting. The hotel staff are so friendly and welcoming! The rooms are very comfortable and the food very nice and well presented. The main part of the hotel is quaint, maybe a little dated but charming none the less. If you want a relaxing rest...this is the place. It was great to take the dog and the walks about the area are lovely. Being a coeliac, I was offered many options from the menu.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!