“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

really nice hotel, very clean, friendly & helpful staff.
Cooked breakfast very hot and fresh. Really relaxed atmosphere, and the staff seem to cover all jobs so you do sometimes have to wait for attention, but it is a small hotel and thats part of the relaxed setting, no one was hurrying to do anything :). Dogs are allowed in all the public areas except the restaurant and although there were dogs there the carpet in the lounge area always looked like it had just been hoovered, the public areas all looked very well maintained.
There is some noise from the guests in the next room, but this did not splil our stay. We stayed in room 34, at the top of the hotel, very nice room and bathroom.
We did not use the leisure facilities.
I cannot comment on value as we were given the break as a red letter day gift

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Harlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is a lovely hotel, set off the beaten track about a 10 minute walk from Burley village. The staff were all lovely, really friendly and helpful and the food we had in the restaurant in the evening and at breakfast was wonderful. We stayed in room 12, and unfortunately this was a bit of a disappointment. The décor was in need of refurbishment, the floorboards over the whole of the room and the corridor outside were terribly squeaky and the bathroom is cramped. The bath has a shower attachment but this is not a proper shower. You cannot stand up under it for a proper shower. There is no central heating in the bathroom, just a wall mounted fan heater which was unfortunately not working. The hotel has a pool and sauna, which was a nice plus, but both are extremely small. We were lucky enough to be the only couple in there at the time, it would not have been pleasant if there were more people trying to use the facilities. I would stay here again, but definitely not in room 12 (I'm assuming they have better rooms, but don't know this for sure).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you overall had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your comments which we appreciate as it helps us to monitor our service. We do have different room types which allow our guests to upgrade to a larger room if required. I hope you will return for another visit in the near future.
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

BOOKING
After reading all the reviews I telephoned the New Forest Hotels booking number with the original plan of booking a one-night "dinner, bed & breakfast" deal at the sister hotel the Bartley Lodge. However the booking agent was kind enough to inform me that on the day of my planned visit a wedding (with disco until midnight) was taking place so that I was aware of the potential noise. I was offered alternative accommodation at the sister hotel Moorhill House. I was concerned having read the reviews about the 'paper-thin' walls, but the deal was £100 for a one-night stay with 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast, so we decided to go for it and book the Moorhill given the excellent value of the deal. The room type was "Agister".

I have no complaints about the receptionists or other staff, all seemed helpful as you would expect.

ROOM
We were allocated Room 6 on the first floor. It is true what the earlier reviews say about the walls, they are quite thin, but either we had very quiet/considerate people in room 7 next door, or that room was empty as we didn't really hear very much through the walls. We did hear, however, the creaking floor boards from the room above. And, indeed, we could not walk across our bedroom or bathroom without the floorboards creaking! The room itself was not the largest room I've stayed in but it was reasonably well appointed and the bed was firm, but comfortable and I had a pretty good night's sleep. The room only has one small window, and the bathroom had no window so relied on an extractor fan to remove the steam (which it seemed to cope with well enough). Overall I was happy enough with the room, given the price we paid. There is no mini-bar/fridge but there is a well appointed refreshment tray with mini kettle (see photos), and also a hairdryer. The rooms do not have safes in them, so any valuables you would want to lock away would have to go in the hotel's main safe.

The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean - so well done to the cleaners for doing such a good job. The bathroom did look a little on the tired side, just through wear and tear, but as I say it was spotless.

FOOD
Our dinner deal was a 3 course meal (with an allocation of £25 per head) which was fine and we managed 3 courses each and only went slightly over the £25 per person allowance. The food was delicious and well presented. The staff were very polite and helpful. My partner had the slow roasted pork (which he reported as delicious) and I had cod loin with mash and fennel, also very tasty. Desserts were equally yummy. We like the décor of the restaurant and quiet music played in the background adding to the nice ambience.

The hotel has a car park, and the hotel itself is located within the new forest, so you are only steps away from it all - and we encountered ponies and deer trotting past the car park. My partner liked the location a lot as he got up before 6am to go off and do some early morning photography without the need to get in the car and drive anywhere.

Overall I was very happy with the food and room because of the great price we paid. The rack rate, I believe, is about £182 per room for the dinner, B&B deal, and I think if I had paid that amount I would not have been quite so happy with the room itself being on the small side, and having only one small window. The cleaner's cupboard is on the same landing as room 6, 7 & 8 and they arrived around 8am but weren't particularly noisy and didn't disturb me. The cleaner had left the doors to rooms 7 & 8 open and they both looked like they had bigger windows and also windows in the bathroom (at least in room 7).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent visit. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our service. Thank you for your comments and I do hope you will return to the New Forest to stay in one of our hotels in the future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

All those little things that can make such a diference - were missing. Like staff: more often than not, the reception and bar were like a ghost town - and this was at times like early evening and morning check out time, when they could surely expect to be busy. There were bells to ring for attention, but these didn't always seem to summon anyone. When someone did finally arrive they were courteous, but queues built up, and guests were frequently asked to 'bear with me'.

The restuarant choice was very iffy: nice enough food without being spectacular, but the main problem was the options for vegetarians: only one usually, bland and disappointing.

They thoughtfully got us to to pre-order for dinner as there was (inevitably) a big wedding in the hotel, but we still waited half an hour for the food to arrive.

A winning location for sure, but not much else to write home about.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were disappointed by various aspects of your stay but hope this won’t put you off visiting one of our hotels in the New Forest in the near future. Thank you for your comments which I will ensure are forwarded to the general manager.
Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from here, we had the two night b&b deal through Red Letter Deals and we have had the best break ever!
Our room was number 11, it was clean, tidy, the towels were thick, white and fluffy, the bed clean and comfortable. We had no bath but the shower was good, toiletries provided, and the housekeeping done daily was as if by magic, no noise or interuptions at all.
We had dinner in the hotel on our first night, the meal was superb, fine dining and great staff. Despite renovation work being carried out we had the quiet break we hoped for, other guests were courteous and the staff friendly and helpful, without being intrusive.
We managed to leave behind some shopping in a drawer in our room but a call to the hotel has secured it for us so we will be going back soon to collect, and no doubt stop for a cream tea whilst there!
Luckily we had good weather and walked everywhere, fans of Tolkien will love the Forest and we'd highly recommend The Cider Pantry for a lunch out.

Room Tip: Having only experienced room 11, I don't think we can offer much in the way of tips, I suffer wi...
Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

We booked this hotel to get away from town to enjoy some seclusion for the weekend. Right in the middle of the woods, this hotel was a perfect location. It is half a mile, a gentle 15 min walk, from Burley village with a couple of nice pubs. We didn't book in the restaurant as it looked a little on the expensive side for us, so can't vouch for this, but the breakfast was excellent. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Although it didn't ruin our weekend, we were very disappointed that we were not told there was to be a wedding at the hotel on the Saturday. We returned to the hotel having had a lovely walk to find the whole lounge and bar area swamped with wedding guests. The same applied when we returned to the hotel from the village after dinner. There was no possibility of relaxing in the bar with a nightcap as it was full of well-oiled wedding guests. We are very easy going, but should have been warned about the wedding when we booked.

Room Tip: If you are staying when a wedding is booked, make sure you are on the opposite side of the hotel fro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This is our sixth visit and unfortunately the worst despite the perfect location and excellent staff. On our second night there was a wedding which just took over the place, rude guests, no access to the bar or lounge, dinner with the thumping noise of the wedding band, noise until the early hours and then had to wait far too long for breakfast as the wedding party took over again. Rooms should not be let out to non wedding guests as the hotel cannot deliver the peaceful break and access to facilities when there is a wedding on.

• Stayed April 2013
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that on this occasion you had a disappointing stay. As you know from previous visits this is not our usual level of service, and I hope this will not stop you returning for another visit in the future. We do try our utmost to ensure all our guests receive the same service, even if they are non wedding guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!