“lovely sunday lunch just like home”

Moorhill House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
Reviewed 29 January 2014

we ate here for sunday lunch and were pleasantly surprised. Not only was it a lovely filling lunch with perfectly cooked vegetables and home made roast potatoes but the staff were a credit to the hotel. from the selightful sam on reception to the restaurant staff they were all so pleasant. cant wait to go back. thank you. ps please can you do another travel zoo offer.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Looking forward to a short break in the new forest but have to say was really disappointed. The drive way is riddled with potholes and almost caused the car to break down.....that definatley needs sorting out. Ample parking and a pleasant exterior give you hope that you are in for a pleasant stay. The public areas are clean and airy but then it all went wrong for us......we booked through a Red letter day experience but didn't expect to be sent to the attic. Our room, room 12, was right at the top of the building and access to many rooms for disabled or infirm visitors would be a no no for anyone trying to make the stairs. The room is badly laid out and the bed was a standard double with an extremely soft mattress which meant we had a restless and uncomfortable night constantly rolling into one another. The floor boards creaked and I am sure would have annoyed our neighbours in addition to ourselves. Then we have the bathroom......well what can be said about that? Shocking doesn't begin to describe it. Bath no shower except for a hand held attachment to the taps, that when turned on was no more than a trickle. Toilet right next to the bath meant we could barely sit down to use it and a heater aimed at keeping it warm but that kept blowing. The TV was on a side wall which meant you had to turn side on and crick your neck to watch. A huge disappointment !!! Breakfast was average and didn't like having to pay a supplement to get what anywhere else would be a full English. Cant comment on other rooms but based on what we experienced I don't know why this place has received a certificate of excellence from trip advisor as we wouldn't be in a hurry to come back.

Room Tip: Don't book one of the Keeper rooms as these are at the top of the hotel and are badly laid out a...
1  Thank Kenneth H
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Moorhill House Hotel. This is an old characteristic building, which means the rooms are all different shapes and sizes and on different floors. We do have accessible rooms for people who request them, as well as different categories of rooms which allows our guests to upgrade if they wish. I am sorry you were disappointed with your allocated room and will ensure your comments are investigated further.

The driveway is a forest road and has been subjected to excessive amounts of rain in the past few months, causing potholes to develop. This is being dealt with by our maintenance team as soon as possible.

Our breakfast menus have been revised as of this week, allowing guests to order a full English breakfast without supplement.

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

What a great find this hotel was, peaceful and secluded with attentive staff and truly wonderful food.
A bonus is that they allow your pet to come too!
Instant access out onto the moor via the car park made walking the dog a breeze.
Truth be told the room decor is looking a little tired but really only in the room to sleep so not a massive issue.
Can't recommended the restaurant highly enough. Very, Very good chef!!!
Will definitely return.
Chris, Jenny and Vinnie the dog and a half.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here when I visited friends in the area. Unsure if I had chosen the right place initially as a lone traveller but I have to say, what a welcome I received. All staff at the hotel were friendly and very helpful, especially the waitress in the breakfast room (19th January) I had been dreading a compact single room with shower only, which I detest but I had requested a bath if at all possible on booking, which I had. I stayed in a keeper room that would have accommodated three people so I was more than comfortable. I didn't go down for a meal in the evening so cannot comment on restaurant or service. However, the room service was prompt and the meal ordered was of a good standard. Breakfast was plentiful and as a lone traveller I felt quite comfortable being in the breakfast room alone. The other point of note; I never sleep well when I'm away from home as my own home is somewhat isolated and very quiet. I have to say I slept like a baby, it was so quiet and comfortable. Highly recommended and it's worth paying a little extra for a larger room. Oh I nearly forgot - the baileys creme brûlée is delicious!! I am due another visit in March so they can expect me to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Trudy H
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just returned from 2 nights stay at Moorhill Hse Hotel. Been to New Forest many times but stayed in the busier parts ie Lymington/Lyndhurst areas. The location of Moorhill House is via approx half a mile drive into the woods which makes for a tranquil setting. Room and facilities great, food in restaurant great. Even used the pool which is a first for me. All in all would rate 10/10

1  Thank hshul
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Very enjoyable stay, great location , very very heplful staff. The food was very good , overall a great stay. We are planning a return visit in the summer , as the weather had made walking in the very muddy.

1  Thank Vaughan129082
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked this hotel in the Autumn using Tesco points. We could not have wished for more beautiful and relaxing surroundings. The hotel itself is situated on a hill in a peaceful setting above the village. Service was excellent in all areas . Our room was the Keeper, a standard room, but clean and more than adequate. Breakfast was not only copious, but absolutely delicious, a mixture of freshly cooked to order items and buffet. In the evening we decided to eat in on both occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the food. We also received a complimentary bottle of wine on each evening for booking before 2 o'clock. Briliant food and what value!
We also had the swimming pool and sauna to ourselves. These were scrupulously clean and there was a good supply of fresh clean towels. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Choose whatever you can afford, but our standard room was fine.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!