“Spot on I would say”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Burley
London, United Kingdom
“Spot on I would say”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I booked MoorHill House for 3 nights in order to be local to a business orientated meeting in Ringwood. I did read the comments on here and looked forward to the pot holes! Reminded me of the Range Rover Experience I had and put my training to the test! Readers will be pleased to know the holes were filled following day after my meeting however you will need to drive round the wide range of animals on approach which is part of the local history.
I arrived late and had a choice of a sandwich for dinner which was perfectly fine although the kitchen chose the content and assumed I eat meet and luckily did! Peter welcomed me to my colorless basic room and instantly noticed the musical floor boards! With a presentation the following day and arriving late I needed to get some sleep. As soon as the rain started the gutters outside window of room 2 were full and a waterfall cascaded down onto flat roof and kept me awake. Sounded like filling an empty bucket. Morning came went for breakfast and young lad laying the tables ignored me so I made myself known! The main waiter was fantastic throughout breakfast very professional client orientated. I came back from my meeting and mentioned the gutters to reception who instantly came to the rescue. Although I was prepared to stay in the room upon unblocking the gutters they chose to move me to room 15 which is an attic room. Again colorless however functional. So within 10min I had a new better room and overwhelmed by how helpful the staff were. Later that evening I saw the young lad that grunted at me during breakfast he was now barman! I thought I would start conversation over the lack of Guinness glasses and from there this lad turned out to be excellent in service and very educational. If I had not seen him that evening I would most certainly marked his card.
Food throughout my stay was faultless apart from breakfast which for me was disappointing across choice and quantity along with cooked breakfast which I have had better at the local cafe. In fairness I don't think really Ive had a good cooked breakfast in a hotel so lets settle for average. The Cleanliness of the rooms and associated areas beyond spotless almost clinical not a spec or cobweb, Hot water was rare more tepid in both rooms along with low pressure.
My meetings ended and after stressful week I extended over the weekend to continue with a solid nights sleep and good customer service all round. For the money I would not expect anything else and all the staff although few I had met were wonderful and great asset to this hotel. The Internet is unstable as in it cuts out however I had great phone signal unlike other guests. I would say the area and the hotel is a little odd given the history however I will most certainly come back and stay in room 15 just what I needed really. My first Trip review by the way!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Spent a couple of nights here. Was impressed by the rural location. the front of the hotel is nicely decorated but heading to room 30 seems to go in to second class hotel...If you decide to go make a point of asking for any room but 30 (above kitchen - so noisy - especially opening and closing of the cold room, switching on radio, chatting, walking across the pebbles.)
Breakfast on second morning not brilliant - seemed like staff not up to number of people present, so waiting for basics seemed interminable . Dinner from bar expensive - especially wanting a quick tasty meal. My vegetarian daughter just wanted a small bite and was informed that a starter would be fine - no chance - very pretty but tiny ... Menu in room different to that in bar was informed that the menu in the room was out of date.).

Room Tip: Any but 30
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

As a returning guest who rated this hotel as close to faultless last year I had high expectations on arrival for another RLD Dinner, bed and breakfast but this time the experience was not exceptional. Room 19 was comfortable if a little cramped but there was no mobile signal (at least on EE) in this room and the advertised Broadband was out of service, although I expect it only needed a router 'reboot'. Reception on arrival was an 'abrupt' check-in and a reminder to hand in the key whenever we left the hotel. Unfortunately when we did just that and went out to visit family upon returning there was no receptionist to be seen. After 10 minutes the barman kindly came across to apologise and set about finding someone. 5 minutes later someone appeared to give us our room key explaining that she is too busy with teas to manage. Given the wait we had for seating at dinner (again the same barman appeared to apologise!) I have the impression that resources are stretched at this hotel. The standard of food is still of the highest standard and whilst the style of dinner menu has changed sigificantly the quality was very good albeit on a much more typical bistro style menu. Dinner was interesting with a wrong main meal delivered to the table resulting in a frantic search for rice in the 'risotto' followed shortly after by another waitress bringing the correct Risotto. The decor is looking a little dated in the area of our room and there was also visible signs of mould on the barthroom celing. Having said all that, it was still very good value based on the RLD price paid, primarily due to the standard of cuisine at dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulKGB
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I am pleased to read that the food was again up to our usual high standards. Thank you for your comments regarding the service, these will be forwarded to the general manager to be investigated further. We are currently in the process of renovating some of the rooms at this hotel and hope you will return in the future for another stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Some of the reviews on here aren’t overly fair so looking at it clinically I can say that in places it does look “tired” – that said, my room was ok. Bit of a trek to where “all the fun took place” which definitely was no-where near this hotel. It’s a very quiet rural hotel, nestled off some dirt track.

The others staying in the hotel were very mature in years and think its more a hikers hotel. The wifi was ok (in the bedroom it was non-existent) in the main lounge area. The view from my window looked to be some bin dump where there was what looked like 30 dust bins. Bathroom was basic but was a good size and had everything that it needed. Had more than enough towels given at check in and they also gave loads of coffee, tea, milk etc, plus a couple of lil biscuits. Nice not having to ask them to provide extra and just to get the extra when you arrive to your room. Normally hotels are quite tight on these kinds of things.

Room was a good size and had a comfy bed, television (I did find it curious that they have a desk under the tele and plug sockets half way up the wall about 2/3 metres from the desk….. bit random but again not a problem as had a plug socket under my bedside to charge my phone.

Parking was fine and the staff were really friendly and helpful – all of them were. The hotel restaurant which was the only place to eat was a bit too formal for my liking (not a negative – but more personal preference) and there wasn’t too much on the menu I liked (again personal preference). I ended up having a burger but if like me you don’t like a pink burger then you will need to specifically tell them how you want it cooked as they never asked me (I just assumed all burgers would be cooked through), it seems it will automatically be served pink (or raw as I liked to call it). I'm sure they would have changed if I had asked but think if there is an option of how the meat is cooked then the option should be given to the customer and not decided by the kitchen.

They gave a book of information at check in which was a nice touch and included loads of leaflets etc. Shame I wasn’t there longer as I would have liked to have sampled some of the local things. The bathroom tap water was also confirmed as drinkable which was good to know as I have always had a thing about drinking tap water from the bathroom taps. It also had a bar (looked like an “old man pub”) which was actually really nice and very much in keeping with the design, type and style of property (a plush modern wine bar would have looked a bit silly). It also had a leisure area (which was a small pool, a sauna and a place to change. Although the pool is quite small, it was quite refreshing and a nice lil treat. The sauna is by the changing rooms and is like a small cabin you need to turn on which is good so has energy save. The changing room more resembled a domestic bathroom than a changing room but to be honest, anything else than what was there would have been a waste. I can see how the pool could be too small if you have to share it with others…. Was fine for me as no one was using the facilities when I was there so had the whole thing to myself which was nice.

Things I never liked about this hotel

1) as some have already commented in other reviews – the road entering the grounds is basically like a dirt track literally covered in pot holes (the road surface resembles the surface of the moon). I was going over it at less than 5 miles per hour and felt like I had been chucked in a blender. Wasn’t worried about being thrown about as never had my nan or a baby in the car but was definitely worried about this road messing up my car. Hotel owners: I don’t know if you own this road, but know you have rights of way for sure – this road is terrible and needs fixing. Not everyone drives a moon buggy. Fill in these craters – its an insurance claim waiting to happen!

2) the floor boards are creaky – big time. The slightest noise you worry about disturbing the other guest. I resorted to taking off my shoes when I got to the top of the stairs to try and minimise the noise they were making underfoot (after about 11 the whole hotel falls into silence – with the exception of these floors boards creaking about. It’s an old property so though so expect this will happen to a degree.

3) As an energy efficient hotel it seems they turn the lights off after 11pm which is lovely until you want to leave your room to get some air or whatever after lights out. I had to make my way from my room, navigating two sets of steps and all in the dark. On the way back I mis-judged the steps and almost fell down them ….. luckily I am fairly stable on my feet. The only light is the ambient light plus the small light coming off the emergency fittings (showing they are emergency lights) With dark carpets and only ambient light how are we meant to see the steps in the dark not knowing the intricacies of the hotel? Couldn’t find a single light switch (obviously because it was too dark to see) and there were no light sensors in place (if they were, they were not working).

On the question of whether I’d stay here again then the answer is yes I would as my experience wasn’t bad overall. The hotel is traditional and is nice. Its relaxed and quite peaceful and in places its drawbacks can also its positives (i.e. it was quiet – but then I need complete darkness and silence which I sleep which I was able to get without any problem, also it was peaceful and calming). I would say the two key things this hotel needs to consider and consider soon are items 1 & 3. As they are by far and away the most concerning of all. Item 1 can cause damage to the property of its customers and seems to have been in this condition for a while. We don’t expect to travel to your hotel to only at the last hurdle have our cars trashed entering the grounds. Item 3 actually has the potential to be extremely dangerous to those less stable on their feet and adding darkness to the equation is a recipe for disaster. By all means have the lights off after a certain time but at least fit sensors to allow those staying sufficient time to get from their room to wherever they may need to be.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FairReview1309
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for just one night on the way from East Sussex to Exeter. Yes, the approach is a bit bumpy and my car grounded at one point. The receptionist was cheerful and I was soon installed in my room. Room 15, more character than some other hotels and the bed was very comfortable.

The evening meal was better than expected but breakfast was somewhat expensive at £8 when I didn't have anything cooked.

Worth mentioning that this is a very traditional hotel and probably wouldn't be a bundle of laughs if you were less than 60!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
bournemouth
Reviewed 29 January 2014

we ate here for sunday lunch and were pleasantly surprised. Not only was it a lovely filling lunch with perfectly cooked vegetables and home made roast potatoes but the staff were a credit to the hotel. from the selightful sam on reception to the restaurant staff they were all so pleasant. cant wait to go back. thank you. ps please can you do another travel zoo offer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Looking forward to a short break in the new forest but have to say was really disappointed. The drive way is riddled with potholes and almost caused the car to break down.....that definatley needs sorting out. Ample parking and a pleasant exterior give you hope that you are in for a pleasant stay. The public areas are clean and airy but then it all went wrong for us......we booked through a Red letter day experience but didn't expect to be sent to the attic. Our room, room 12, was right at the top of the building and access to many rooms for disabled or infirm visitors would be a no no for anyone trying to make the stairs. The room is badly laid out and the bed was a standard double with an extremely soft mattress which meant we had a restless and uncomfortable night constantly rolling into one another. The floor boards creaked and I am sure would have annoyed our neighbours in addition to ourselves. Then we have the bathroom......well what can be said about that? Shocking doesn't begin to describe it. Bath no shower except for a hand held attachment to the taps, that when turned on was no more than a trickle. Toilet right next to the bath meant we could barely sit down to use it and a heater aimed at keeping it warm but that kept blowing. The TV was on a side wall which meant you had to turn side on and crick your neck to watch. A huge disappointment !!! Breakfast was average and didn't like having to pay a supplement to get what anywhere else would be a full English. Cant comment on other rooms but based on what we experienced I don't know why this place has received a certificate of excellence from trip advisor as we wouldn't be in a hurry to come back.

Room Tip: Don't book one of the Keeper rooms as these are at the top of the hotel and are badly laid out a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth H
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Moorhill House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Moorhill House Hotel. This is an old characteristic building, which means the rooms are all different shapes and sizes and on different floors. We do have accessible rooms for people who request them, as well as different categories of rooms which allows our guests to upgrade if they wish. I am sorry you were disappointed with your allocated room and will ensure your comments are investigated further.

The driveway is a forest road and has been subjected to excessive amounts of rain in the past few months, causing potholes to develop. This is being dealt with by our maintenance team as soon as possible.

Our breakfast menus have been revised as of this week, allowing guests to order a full English breakfast without supplement.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Moorhill House Hotel? Share your experiences!