“Lunchtime meal.”

Ranked #1 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime meal.”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Popped in for lunchtime meal with friend, we had three course meal which was one of the best lunchtime meals I have experienced for long time, the dessert we had chocolate brownie with cream that was to die for, light moist and yummy, price was excellent and the young girl who served us throughout was very polite and left us ample off time between courses so was comfortable with this as some places you feel like your rushed and they want to get rid off you. Fully recommend this to all

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here for one night as I needed to be in Ringwood the following morning. Superb location 5 miles into the forrest. Fantastic room and excellent service on what was a quiet mid week in Febuary. There was a slight hiccup at dinner, which was easily and quickly put right. I can imagine this place would be heaving during school holidays and weekend. Was lovely and peaceful when I was there and the food was great. Would definately stay agin, if in the area

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Room wasn't large but the bed was comfy, there are free robes and the free newspaper and tea/coffee service was a nice touch. The staff were all very friendly. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was fresh and tasty. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and there were some continental items you could help yourselves to. Would definitely go back in the summer as sitting outside would be great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pevensey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at the White Buck, having only been before, prior to it's refurbishment, for meals whilst in the area.Knowing thay they welcomed dogs before the refurbishment I was keen to try it's accomodation after it had been all done. The welcome on arrival was brilliant and when we got to our room it was perfect. A welcome pack in the room for the dog and quality accomodation for us it couldn't have been better. I must say, that when using accomodation at other venues with a pet dog it has been the norm to have been given sub standard rooms because of the presence of the dog. Not a bit of it at the White Buck, it was a first class room.
Having unpacked, we headed for the bar, dog in tow. Again, a first class welcome from the staff. The same goes for the restaurant where we had a snack before going out to meet friends.
The following morning, breakfast was of a high standard with plenty of choice and again, the waitress was exceptionally friendly and efficient. A gift to the management I'd say.Nothing was too much trouble.
Having been out for the day, we returned for a quiet drink at the bar before having dinner. Different staff this time but again things were highly organised and the staff were great. One of them asked how old the dog was and it just so happened that it was his birthday that day so my wife responded that he was 11 years old that day. The next thing we knew was that the waitresses had spoken to the chef and they came out with a cooked sausage which they mixed with dog buscuit and served it to him wishing him a happy birthday. It doesn't come better than that, and the whole ambience of the place was exactly the same. I take my hat off to the staff and the Management for presenting so well with the welcome, the service and the food. I'd recommend the Calves Liver to anyone, and I am fussy!
We will definitely return there ourselves and would recommend it to anyone especially if travelling with a dog.
Thank you White Buck.........excellent.

Room Tip: Our Room was called Chestnut, and was at the back of the hotel. Nice and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thecoolehouse
WhiteBuckInn, General Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Thecoolehouse

Well I am flabbergasted, I don’t think I have ever read such a comprehensive and delightful review! Thank you so much for such high praise of our food, our team and the White Buck itself. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Chestnut room and that your woof had what sounds like a fantastic birthday. I am of course highly biased, but I too think our staff deserve great credit for the welcome they provide so I can’t tell you how proud it makes me to hear that guests feel that way too.

I really look forward to welcoming you back to the Buck again in the future.

Very warm wishes
Pippa O’Gorman
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Having stayed at the White Buck on its last night before refurbishment ( please see my relevant review ) , we decided to try again , and booked in for their New Year dinner and dance plus B&B package , with another couple . The hotel had kept us informed of developments and asked us to chose from the menu before our stay . The hotel looked most attractive , despite the foul weather , as we approached , there was plenty of parking space , and we had a warm welcome . Our friends were in a well equipped , newly decorated , and spacious ground floor room , which was unfortunately situated between two lavatories , which unsurprisingly proved rather noisy as a result . Our room , one of the cheapest as requested , was in the roof , and again was attractive ,freshly renovated , clean , well prepared and equipped . We had to duck a bit in view of the roof configuration , but it was very comfortable . In the evening , we arrived in the bar to an ( included) cocktail and canapes , and were shown to a table at which we enjoyed an excellent dinner , a trio of salmon , followed by a champagne sorbet , beef en croute , creme brûlée , and coffee . There were other choices on the menu , equally appetising .Service by the young staff was good and efficient throughout , and a good evening was rounded off by dancing . A happy party atmosphere prevailed all evening . We had a good night's sleep and looked forward to our breakfast . The cereals and fruit table looked , and my wife said was , excellent . She went on to eggs Benedict , which she also enjoyed . I chose porridge , which arrived cold . I sent it back , it reappeared warm , but still unappetising , and I showed the waitress that if I cut a spoonful I could hold it upside- down on the spoon , indefinitely . She said " Oh , you can't eat that " and took it away . The bacon , egg , and sausage then appeared , but was also nearly inedible . A pity , because the breakfast had been a high point of our previous stay . It would seem the Third Eleven was in the kitchen . What would have been a most interesting veteran car rally in the car park was ruined by the weather , so we walked round the village , which is charming . A thoroughly enjoyable stay in a super location .This hotel definitely has something which makes one want to return .

Room Tip: There are no tea-making facilities in the rooms , but tea is provided in the morning on the landing...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul D
Dear Paul D

Thank you for your lovely review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed your New Year with us. The team thoroughly enjoyed creating such a lovely evening and the party atmosphere enjoyed by all. I was sorry to hear that your breakfast was disappointing as you are absolutely right it is usually such a high point of our guests’ stays. The vintage car meeting on New Year’s Day was indeed plagued with somewhat awful weather so I am glad you enjoyed a walk in our lovely village.

Overall I’m glad you feel that there is something about us that makes you want to return as that’s how we feel too, there is something quite special about the White Buck and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Have stayed here regular for over 15 years on business but now retired,always had good service,food and rooms although during the summer difficult to get a room.Unfortunatley i have not seen the hotel since it has been refurbished but from the photos looks great.really miss staying there as it was not just holiday makers but locals who some i got know.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hi there Tony H. We’d love to welcome you back in 2014 and I’m sure there would be plenty of locals still more than happy to catch you up with all the local news.

England
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Been here quite a few times before and whilst the food was always good, the place looked dated. Not any more!!! The refurb means the place looks amazing. The food is really good and the menu varied and totally sums up the new forest. Excellent change and will certainly return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guggesteve

Thank you for lovely review of the White Buck, I’m so glad you enjoyed your recent visit and our new transformation. I was particularly pleased that you thought we summed up the New Forest as that was exactly our intention. Thanks so much.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Pippa O'Gorman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,670 reviews
Moorhill House Hotel
Moorhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burley

Been to The White Buck - Hotel? Share your experiences!