“Great find in the New Forest”

The White Buck - Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Burley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Although booked late and in top floor room we were very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and clean our room was for a one night stay. Lauren welcomed us and explained the hotel and bar very clearly. A lovely bar and pleasant terrace to enjoy the choice of ales on offer. Dinner of sea bream and sea bass very tasty and the house wines very nice.A quiet place and a good nights sleep in very soft and comfortable bed. Breakfast was very good with a good choice available.

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor rooms, a bit more money but more space and cooler on warm nights.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
WhiteBuckInnManager, Manager at The White Buck - Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

May I thank you for your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were made to feel welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was here on holiday from Perth Western Australia last year at this time. The food was excellent, beer better! Back in town (Bournemouth) permanently now and went to the White Buck for lunch. The menu has changed out of all recognition, they've gone for the cheapest option, small portions, Birds-Eye packet frozen fish etc., but tip-top prices still. my son and I had the hock pie which was basically a pastry with a small token anount of ham hock, about a teaspoonful, and about a tablespoonful of chicken, the rest was just pastry, almost inedible.
My wife had a small portion of the fish and chips, the chips were excellent, the fish was cold in the middle and obviously was a standard triangle of Birds-Eye frozen packet fish. The waiter denied this but that's what it was. We will not be returning to the White Buck for anything other than the beer which remains excellent. There are just too many other places that don't try to rip you off on the portions or quality to be bothered with this sort of cheapest cut-price kitchen effort at inflated prices.
It is not surprising that places like Wetherspoons and Harvest are gradually taking over from the independents, you know the quality you get and the price is set.
It really is a crying shame, for the sake of a few pounds they have ruined the experience we had last year. Why can't they see the short-sightedness of this sort of cost-cutting excercise-last year the place was packed and you had to queue at the bar in the middle of the recession, yesterday same sort of time and the place was almost empty - speaks volumes as people have obviously voted with their feet.
Very disappointed, Tony and family. vidtek99@gmail.com

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony B

Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am saddened to hear that your experience with us was not up to the expectations that I have or that you have of The White Buck. I can assure you that since starting here 3 weeks ago, I have looked into the menu and the food served and am pleased to inform you that we are changing the menu as of the 22nd July. Our pies on this occasion were not of good quality and I can assure you now that all our pies are made in house and are of a generous size and portions of meat. I would really like to talk to you with regards to your experience with us, and I see that you are now local. Please call me and we can discuss how to restore your faith in us and in our service.

Yours sincerely
Martin Sliva

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful location! This place has absolutely met my expectations and exceeded them (dare I say). From the moment we walked in, the hospitality was second to none. Our bags were carried from our car, we were given a run down of the local area, escorted to the very pleasing conquerer room with a luxurious round bath in the bay overlooking the terraced garden. Annette has been wonderful and advised us of places to ride and have treatments and nothing is a problem for her. I have to say this place is very well managed and runs like clock work. If you like your food, this is a lovely place to eat.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank chrislock2

Thank you for the review, it was a pleasure to meet you both and we are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

See you again soon

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for one night with our 3 year old daughter and our elderly dog. Stayed at the indulgence room which was beautiful and very peaceful. Very friendly staff and excellent hotel for children and dogs. Breakfast was good. We also had a diner which was good but maybe a bit pricey. Would definitely recommend this lovely inn in a beautiful part of New Forest.

Room Tip: We stayed in the indulgence room (Acorn) which excepts dogs and fits a child bed. Good size with lov...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Monika2601
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We visited the White Buck on Friday evening at around 8pm. It is the first time since the re-furb and I must say it is very much improved. What wasn't so good was the service and availability. Our waitress had to return to us 3 times due to unavailability and when we eventually did place a successful order they got it wrong, however, what we did have was pretty good. So my summary is that it is pretty good, needs a bit more attention to detail, they should not be running out of stuff at 8pm and should ensure that they serve what is requested. Also a bit overpriced, which you wouldn't mind if it was being managed better.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julesbarber

Hi,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to expectations, I have spoken with the kitchen and am assured that this was a complete one off due to an extremely busy day.

I do hope that you will return to us soon, so that you can see the tweaks that we are making to make sure that we exceed expectations.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

When we pulled up it looked so promising. Great setting, nice area to eat outside and the inside was equally nice. Menu looked good. However, we opted for the venison burger and the wild boar burger which were on the specials board. Both burgers were not homemade as you'd expect from a place like this, chips not great and the bun just fell apart. With a pint of shandy at £4.95 and a softy I came out £35 worse off. Shame really but I will not be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Awhe
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. What a beautiful hotel, loads of little touches In the rooms make it very special, very quiet area small village shop area nearby, beware the bar prices are very expensive even more than London prices. Food is reasonable & very nice, daily specials etc. Staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Chestnut was lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keiron L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to The White Buck - Hotel? Share your experiences!