“Some good, some not so good.”

and 1 more site!
The Burley Inn Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
“Some good, some not so good.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I and our daughter stayed here for three days, and while some aspects of our stay were great, some were not. The hotel is a really old building (originally the doctor's surgery in the village) and as such, has loads of character. This is part of the charm of staying here, and we weren't worried about the creaky floors, odd shaped rooms, old style bathroom etc.
We did however have a problem with the mattress - all you could feel were springs - it was a shocker! We ended up taking the quilt out of the cover, and putting it under the bottom sheet.
We were told that they were upgrading the rooms, but hadn't got to our room yet. Also the toilet didn't flush properly - these two things could have been sorted out fairly easily I would have thought. That being said, the staff were fabulous, the dinners were consistently good with enormous servings - and the cooked English breakfast was great.
If you like lots of character, and old style pub food, then this may be for you, but if you like all that and to sleep well, maybe check to see if the bed has been upgraded!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We popped into Burley for an hour or two and chose to have a cream tea at the Burley Inn. Good value with 2 big scones each, 2 packs of jam and a big pot of cream each, really nice tea too.

I had to get one of our cups changed as it still had tide marks on the inside where it had not been cleaned properly but a new cup was provided with no fuss so all ok.

A great place to sit and watch the busy village goings on, we loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Food is the worst I have had at a pub and I eat out at least twice a week. Poor standards. Tourist passing trade with new customers probably keeps it going. There is another pub in the village worth a look and a village social club that takes temporary members. Far better food

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Woldsrectory
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We ate here after cycling in the Forest. The inn was fairly busy but our order was taken fairly quickly. I had a cream tea, the children had lasagne, or ham,eggs and chips and my husband had a curry from the special dish. The food arrived fairly promptly although the cream tea was delivered before the rest of the food. All of us found the food pleasant and the staff were friendly. There is a generous terrace for those who enjoy outdoor eating and Burley is a lovely village.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ash, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Spent the day in Burley with the majority of time spent in the Burley Inn as we wanted to relax and have a spot of lunch. The barperson was lovely and couldn’t have been more helpful in telling the story of the village and the famous witch that lived there.

I had a small appetite scampi and chips for lunch, not wanting to ruin my dinner that evening, and was surprised at how big the portion was! I had to leave some chips and everything was piping hot and fresh. The menu and drinks were very reasonably priced and I look forward to returning here at the end of the month. Thank you for a lovely day out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MVCM3565
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Really poor standard of food. The cauliflower was black and should have never been served. The wait for food was over 35 minutes. The staff were fairly inexperienced at dealing with a busy summer evening. Not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank JSD2012
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Well, the setting is lovely and the pub looks nice from the outside. We chose to eat here because the much nicer looking beer garden over the road was telling potential customers that there would be an hour wait for food and we were in a hurry. As it happened, we waited almost an hour here, but the staff didn't have the courtesy to warn us of that. When I ordered at the bar, alarm bells rang as I overheard another customer tell the lady behind the bar that she didn't want salad with her lasagne and the lady laughed and said "I wouldn't worry, the salad is just for decoration, it's inedible anyway!" As I then ordered the lasagne for my daughter, I have to agree that she was right about that. The food was as bad as I then expected it to be, the outside tables were filthy and the inside ones weren't much better. We ordered a roast for myself and my son, they had run out of beef, my son's favourite (because it comes with yorkshire pudding) so we ordered the lamb. Upon eventual arrival of the meal, we asked the waitress if my son could have a Yorkshire pudding and she went off to fetch one. She then returned to say that there would be a small charge for the Yorkshire pudding and suggested 50p. I asked if she was joking and even suggested that I could trade one of my undercooked potatoes for it, but as she didn't laugh, I soon realised that she wasn't joking. She was a sweet waitress actually, as was the young waiter and was only relaying back what someone had told her to say. As we opted for two of the tiny pre-cooked, pre-frozen Yorkshire puddings, we handed the waitress our £1. The damp on the ceiling was a help though as it kept us cool on such a warm day. I only wish I could get back the 2 hours of my life that I wasted in this pub ( and the £35 that I spent - not cheap for rubbish pub grub). If only I'd visited the loos before we ordered the food as I'm certain that we wouldn't have hung around any longer. In fact, we're only half way home and it's stomach aches all round. Very very disappointing. Don't waste your time. Just to add, this is only the second review I have ever written, the first a glowing one, so please don't mistake me for a serial moaner.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank TBakerShenfield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burley
Burley Manor
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
Ormonde House Hotel
Ormonde House Hotel
#3 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to The Burley Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!