“Fantastic !”

Ranked #3 of 7 Burley B&B and Inns
Market Lavington, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic !”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My daughter and I have just returned home from a 2 night stay at The Burley Inn. This was our second visit and it was just as fantastic as the first one ! The staff are so friendly as is the general ambience of the Inn. The food was delicious on both evenings - I would particularly recommend the Scottish Beef, Neeps and Tatties ! It was a very busy time of year, made even more so by the New Forest Fairy Festival held in Burley, yet at no time did the staff seem flustered despite a huge amount of customers ! We didn't have to wait long for our food or drinks and we were always greeted with friendliness and lovely smiles ! Our room was cosy and comfortable and we can't wait to make another visit soon! Thank you to all the staff for your part in making our weekend relaxed and happy :).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Stone
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We ate here as a family of four with two children, 8 & 3 years old, on a Saturday afternoon.
We were told on arrival that there would be a minimum of 45 minute wait for the food, which should have rung my "steer clear" alarm bell, when I observed the restuarant wasn't full.
You find a table, note the number, order at the bar, source your own cutlery and wait for your food, going to the bar whenever you require more drinks, similar to a Wetherspoons.
I ordered the Chicken Cacciatore, from the specials board, my wife ordered Liver and onions, and we ordered Haddock & chips for the kids to share as there was no junior menu, and therefore no chicken nuggets, etc.
the drinks were around £4 each, including the Stowford Press.......which really annoys me when you pay a premium for a drink and its served in any old glass......would you accept coke in a Tesco Coke can? (Just a little bug bare of mine)
The dishes came, in at £10 for the chicken and about £8-9 for the others. None were large, and the haddock consisted of two pieces of breadcrumb covered fillets which would have come straight from the freezer, and came with chips which were cooked quite nice.
The other dishes were complimented with veg of broccoli, carrots and green beans.
In all the food was OK which i guess for the price was acceptable, and the service about the same, noting that they were consistant with their prediction of the 45 minute delay.
If you know or hear of a good recomendation in the village, I would stay with it as this place is never going tomset the world on fire, or put Burley as the cuisine capitol on the map.
I would compare the quality on par with JD Wetherspoons, but more expensive.
In fact, in lieu of any other good recomendations, ill take a packed lunch next time!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 days in August - the staff were all very friendly and helpful. We didn't spend much time actually in the Burley inn but it was an excellent base for us to explore the New Forest - there is a cycle hire shop directly opposite. We ate dinner here one night and it was fine, it was a Sunday evening so there wasn't the usual full range of food but what we had filled a whole so we couldn't complain. One morning my partner and I both just asked for toast for breakfast and the waitress come back with only 2 slices for both of us, one slice each!! We thought she would come back with more but she didn't, we ended up asking for more which she kindly obliged but brought us another 4 slices... we did laugh about it!!
The room was adequate but we could hear music thumping most evenings, we couldn't work out where it was coming from as it didn't seem to be coming from the bar?! The bed was the squeakiest bed I have ever encountered, I would wake myself up rolling over in the night. The place seemed clean but there was a spare mattress poking out from under our bed with a stain on it. Generally the inn could do with a bit of a face lift - there seems to be areas in the bar where the walls aren't even painted but it was perfect for what we needed it for as we didn't spend much time there and it was value for the money.
We did travel to Sway one evening and ate at the Silver Hind which was excellent and we would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was the second time we visited the Burley Inn and we were deeply disappointed.
On our first visit both myself and my boyfriend loved our experience, he had the steak and I had the gammon hock, it was the best meal I'd ever had and he agreed. We decided to revisit the Burley Inn on Wednesday and we were so upset that our experience was such shambles. Upon our arrival we were told they had run out of a fair bit of the menu (including the food we had gone their for) we decided on the BBQ Bourbon Beef got a drink and sat down outside. 45 minutes later we were starting to think we had been forgotten. I went inside to check where they were with our order and I was informed that there were still 4 tables ahead of us and the wait was still quite long. This information was given to us without an apology and fairly bluntly. I was offered a free refill to say sorry, I don't think this is enough.
After an hour and twenty minutes of waiting for our food it was getting both dark and cold outside so we came inside and just as we sat down our plates were plonked down in front of us, no apology for the delay, no 'enjoy your meal' from the waiter just a bowl of meat (with no cheese like it was meant to have) followed by a bowl of chips, which were very nice, and the utter disgrace that they called vegetables. Inedible carrots which were dry and looked as if they were dying for some water, peas which looked like they would crack your teeth and some yellow broccoli.

We were so upset as this was the first meal out we have had in a long time and we feel our experience was completely ruined. We are in two minds whether or not to return as it was so good the first time yet so bad the second.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Victoria D
TheBurleyInn2014, Manager at The Burley Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Victoria, I remember you very well. I would like to point out that on this busy night you were informed of the wait on food and were given excellent service by all of our team. We told everyone who ordered that evening that there would be a long wait on food. We treated you well with free refills on your drinks. You also refused to mention in your review that as you were unhappy with your meal, we apologised, and your bill was on us. Therefore we regard this review as quite rude and disrespectful. We did everything to make you happy and yet you still feel the need to complain.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed a week at this hotel. It is a great location in a busy little villiage. You are central to all of the newforest. We ate at the burley in most nights and the meals were fresh and hot and beautiful everytime. Breakfast was fantastic and the staff were so friendly and always there to help. The room was cleaned and fresh towels and water everyday. We even went mackeral fishing at Mudeford and caught our fish, which the hotel froze for us. My husband and I will definitely stay again. Thankyou for a great week.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The look and ambiance of the Burley Inn drew us in as we drove through the village one evening last week. Sadly it wasn't as it seemed! My brothers steak tasted and looked as if it had been sunbathing in this hot weather all week. Politely and discreetly explaining to the chef that the meat was not good the chef disagreed but very reluctantly cooked another steak, which arrived 15 minutes later, by which time everyone else had had enough of their meal. We were sitting outside and due to the problem we had encountered time was ticking by and it was getting dark. The staff did not put any exterior lights on neither did they at any time ask us if everything was alright. You pay for your meal here when you order it, they've got you! Such a shame but will never return or recommend to anyone. Debbie LS

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello there, firstly I'd like to apologise for the experience you had here at The Burley Inn. I remember you bringing the steak back and we cooked you a fresh one from scratch without any question. I don't see how else you would have wanted us to deal with this? To cook a new steak from fresh on a busy evening would, unfortunately, arrive later than the rest of your food that had been served and again we're sorry for this, but that is obviously unavoidable. You do not have to pay for your food upfront you can of course run a tab and pay for your food at the end of you meal. So we don't 'Get' anyone, we want you to enjoy your food and drink with us with no pressure for you to pay for it upfront. As for the lighting, we have sufficient lighting that lights our pathways, car park and stairs, and on a summers evening it is light until after 10pm long after food is served, so I don't believe you couldn't see your food. We do not have specific lighting to light the terrace because it is not needed, part of the allure throughout the forest are the cosy welcoming pubs and I'm confident that people would dislike a brightly lit patio in the middle of Burley. We do of course we have 23 well lit tables inside our pub. We thank you for your feedback and wish you had expressed your concerns more at the time of your visit. We have an excellent staff force that are always happy to help.
West Cornwall
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We use the village as a pleasant way to break our journeys along the south coast. The few minutes traveling from the main route are well rewarded by the ease of parking. Clean modern comfort facilities help make a relaxing visit. On this occasion instead of a tea room we took our evening meals from the specials board at the Inn and both enjoyed a light and tasty main for under £10 each. Even after an obviously hectic sunny weekend the staff were friendly and cheerful - great stop and recommended.

Room Tip: We found that having stated our requirements these were met cheerfully.