“Great new forest pub - with huge garden” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Forest

The New Forest
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Ashurst
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great new forest pub - with huge garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

impressed with the new decor. Food good, quick service. drinks a little pricey but fantastic garden which is big enough for kids to play cricket or football.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

“GREAT FOREST PUB”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have lived in Ashurst for nearly 20 years and have seen many changes at the New Forest hotel. The new re fit was much needed and think they ve done a great job. I often visit just for a coffee whilst walking dog but tonight went for something to eat with a friend and our 4 children.
It was a beautiful sunny day and obviously they had been busy, but found pub was very clean. The food was lovely ( I recommend the vegetarian curry )
All the staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful , and well presented.
Well done.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Tale of two halves”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went here thinking, wow this looks like a lovely place, newly refurbished, bright interior, welcoming atmosphere.
We had a meal on our first night here and it all went really well, despite some not so good reviews on here. I had a sweet potato curry and really enjoyed it!... I also tried their pimms and real lemonade which they did perfectly with all the trimming (cucumber, strawberries, lemon, lime & plenty of ice).

The other side of this story didnt go too well at all, when we arrived we thought excellent they are dong a BBQ for the evening...we will have this! We found out a couple of mins later that there was a significant delay to the standard menu due to the BBQ, we thought, excellent, we should get our food pretty quick then...wishful thinking...
Back to the beginning of the evening when we discovered they were busier than usual. We ordered our drinks, but these were so rushed that the woman at the bar didnt even interact or even look at us whilst serving us.
After getting our drinks, we saw another woman, who we assumed was the owner/manager shouting out to the staff "see you soon...bye!!...oh by the way...SORRY!" this put my back up a bit as she was swanning off to wherever leaving her staff to cope on there own.
I will give them their due, the staff did work hard that night, but with no direction from a higher person, it was just one thing after another!

We didnt really understand how the BBQ worked as there was no information anywhere, so i thought i would ask someone...his reply? "Order at the bar! like normal food!"..ok...thanks a bunch for your polite answer!

So we ordered our BBQ, got our ticket, which we handed over to the chef at the BBQ...He had no clue what was going on! he clearly hasnt cooked a BBQ in his life! he was putting all the meat on at once, so the burgers were burnt and the chicken was undercooked! (we didn't receive this batch of food as we could see a lot of commotion ahead of our food!) They must have received in excess of 20 complaints before it was our turn, and even people giving up on the wait and leaving!...
We received a tap on the should after about 50 minutes of waiting to say our turn had come to go up and get our food...We got a burger, not in a bap, a sausage in a roll dry and too big for it....and a bit of chicken that was a little like sawdust. We then got the choice of some salad items, which i opted for a rice salad, a potato salad, and some coleslaw...The coleslaw was lush, the potato salad was so cold it was almost frozen, and the rice salad, again was way too cold...and plopped on the top of the meat, so that went cold really quick.
The burger was so dry! it just crumbled away.

I will top my rant now..
As a summary, avoid this place on a busy night as they cannot cope with extra workload! the food was actually really good so i think the problem here is that it needs better management and direction! thats all it is, so i repeat another reviewer and say that it could be really good!

“How much?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

£3.95 for a pint of Cider which is £1 cheaper in town. I don't think so. Although the pub has been renovated (it really smells of paint) and the decor is good,

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Failed 3rd chance. Such a shame.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Oh dear third time still unlucky.
I will begin with the positives: lovely setting, tasteful new decor, clean.
First visit, poor, slow service and below average food. Try again. Maybe we were unlucky so second visit, my son had the chicken pie which he said was nice. However the veg and mash "was like a school dinner". Mash tasteless and claggy. Don't get me started on the gnocchi. One mouthful and had to send it back. Piled high and sticky. Put me off that for a while!
Third visit with friends and family, as they wanted to try it and we're all fairly local. Ordered food at the bar for our evening meal to sit outside. Lady server was moaning to a colleague that she hadn't had enough sleep last night, this may have explained her attitude as it was sharp and unfriendly. I was eventually served my 3/4 full soft drinks. The food took way too long to arrive as pub not busy. We waited 40 minutes with no apology. Luckily the weather was so nice so we didn't mind too much soaking up more sun in their attractive gardens. Unfortunately the food was poor again. My son had the gammon of which the greasy oven chips arrived separately halfway through. (Why is the trend at the moment for these fat chips? They taste artificial like birds eye waffles or something).
I had the Deli Plate. Now I know I'm not paying Jamie Oliver prices here, but this is where the inspiration for these board platters has come from. Olives nice, hummus not fresh tasting more like the cheapest supermarket bought, focaccia mmm if you say so!, pitta stale, way too much feta. A few salad leaves, spring onions, celery would have been a nice touch to liven up a very bland, brown, trying to be fashionable dish. Others who ordered food were left underwhelmed too.
Definitely won't be returning. Spend your hard earned cash elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles