Booked this hotel for a weekend get-away with my husband and dog, website photos looked great and I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I had booked a Deluxe Double after looking at the photos online and was disappointed on arrival to be shown to a much more dated room. My first thoughts were that 'doggy' people were put in these rooms, but after reading the other reviews, it seems not!
The room was dated with wall paper coming away in a couple of places, the carpets were badly stained in several places and the bathroom was circa 1980 and the whirlpool bath spat lots of little black bits out into the bath. On the plus side the bed was lovely and clean and the room was warm - I just expect more for the price. They are obviously in the process of updating the hotel but considering that the hotel itself only had one or two other guests while we were there, I imagine there were better rooms available.
The bar area was a little cold and uninviting, nothing there to attract you to spend any more time or money in it, which is disappointing for guests and owners! (We had a super evening meal down the road at The Gamekeepers Inn)
I booked the room on the strength of the website and the fact that they pride themselves on being dog friendly - unfortunately we didn't receive the dog towels/blankets/treats that other people seemed to have, but I suppose I could have asked.......and that is the main problem I have with this hotel. We were asked at time of checkout if everything was ok, but it was obvious to me that the hotel was hosting some kind of wedding venue open day and they had potential customers within earshot.
Being a polite kind of girl, I don't like to complain, certainly not in a situation where I could damage their business - however, I realise now I am complaining! I have a sneaking feeling that the hotel was more interested in potential wedding customers than they were in a couple just wanting a weekend away. Were they saving the best rooms for the open day? Who knows? The surrounding area is stunning but don't rely on that alone Woodlands!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Woodlands Lodge Hotel is a charming Country House hotel well away from main roads set in three acres that open directly onto Hampshire's New Forest. The perfect base to relax, walk or enjoy the local New Forest attractions. Woodlands Lodge Hotel can also host, conferences, weddings and special events. We have The Hunters Restaurant on site which is open to non-residents and has been awarded an AA rosette for culinary excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS and Evoline ltd so you can book your Woodlands Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Hotel Woodlands
- Woodlands Hotel Southampton
- Woodlands Lodge Hotel New Forest