“I should have used trip Advisor!”

Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Woodlands
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“I should have used trip Advisor!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

As a Christmas present to my wife I booked 2 nights away in the New Forest. We took our two young children & two small dogs. I won't be allowed to book hotels again. We had a Basil Faulty 18 hour stint- as did most other guests.
The hotel is tired & not anywhere near as sharp as the website suggests. It is certainly not luxury as the webiste suggests. However my wife kindly forgave me for this until 6am the next morning, when the fire alarm went off - all out! 20 mins or more later stood in January conditions the guests turned the alarm off & managed to wake the owner in a near by house. Rather than take control of the situation or apologise properly he seemed disgruntled.
For the next 90 mins we froze in our rooms, until at last the heating went on at 8am, when the staff turn up. At 9.30 I saw two guests walking out of breakfast, having waited for an hour for a cooked breaksast, only not to receive none. The chef hadn't turned up. I don't blame him.
That was the final straw for us, but just in case it wasn't our shower was so hot it could have cooked a sausage- 90 degree's and no way of cooling it down.
We left. I let them keep my deposit, but that was galling.
We found a Best Western up the road and it was like heaven - never thought I would say that!
I rarely if ever complain, I always search for the positive in people & situations, but this one took the buscuit. From now on, I will read Trip Advisor.
Be warned.

Room Tip: Your best bet is the Best Western!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danny A
Imogene A, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment and we can only apologise unreservedly for the disruption caused to you and your family, as well as our other guests that had to endure the early morning fire alarm. The fact that our breakfast chef chose that morning (of all mornings) to be late created a challenging environment that tested all of our resolve. We can assure you that we take our responsibilities as hoteliers very seriously, especially in regards to fire, as a result of this disruption we have fine-tuned our procedures to ensure our guests are never inconvenienced in this way again. We endeavour to provide a comfortable, safe and trouble free environment to all our guests and are sorry you and your family were disappointed.

We would like to say a huge thank you to all our guests for being so forgiving in giving us the opportunity to try and make amends over the rest of the weekend.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Woodlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

So good to know that there is a pleasant place to eat locally now, just what we needed!
A big thank you for such a lovely Christmas Day lunch (great not having to think about cooking or clearing up) and a super New Years Eve although Robert was very much the anxious Father to be he was there to welcome everyone. We had a fabulous evening the food was superb and we danced the night away, it was like being at a private party in a country house.
I also arranged a Christmas lunch for twelve people, we sat in the conservatory and once again I couldn't fault the food or service.
I will continue to recommend the Woodlands Hotel and wish Robert and Imogen every success, also many congratulations on the arrival of Oscar! We left the Hotel at 1.15am and I believe that he arrived at 2.15am!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have just come back from a 2night break at the Woodland Lodge Hotel with our dog Sidney. After reading a few reviews on ‘Trip Advisor’ we were a little apprehensive. But there was no need to worry. Yes from outside it could do with a little TLC but the new owners Imogene & Robert Anglaret have started to update and decorate this beautiful hotel. When we arrived we were met by Robert who took us straight to our room which was lovely. He explained where everything was from times for dinner, the garden, how to enter the New Forest from the paddock, to the outside tap to was down a very muddy dog! There was a welcome note, treats, towel & blanket for Sidney!! We had booked for dinner both evenings and the food was delightful with a good choice on both evenings. Breakfast was delicious again with a choice of cereals, continental or full English.All the staff were efficient and friendly. It’s also the perfect location for access straight into the New Forest. We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear over looking the beautiful gardens
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My husband and I stayed for a few days at this small country house hotel. We stayed in newly refurbished room 10 which was delightful and fresh. The staff were efficient and friendly and knew the local area well. We ate in the restaurant twice and were surprised at how good it was and breakfast served the best eggs we have eaten in a long time! Overall very good location in the forest but near the m27 and excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2011
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Booked this hotel for a weekend get-away with my husband and dog, website photos looked great and I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I had booked a Deluxe Double after looking at the photos online and was disappointed on arrival to be shown to a much more dated room. My first thoughts were that 'doggy' people were put in these rooms, but after reading the other reviews, it seems not!

The room was dated with wall paper coming away in a couple of places, the carpets were badly stained in several places and the bathroom was circa 1980 and the whirlpool bath spat lots of little black bits out into the bath. On the plus side the bed was lovely and clean and the room was warm - I just expect more for the price. They are obviously in the process of updating the hotel but considering that the hotel itself only had one or two other guests while we were there, I imagine there were better rooms available.

The bar area was a little cold and uninviting, nothing there to attract you to spend any more time or money in it, which is disappointing for guests and owners! (We had a super evening meal down the road at The Gamekeepers Inn)

I booked the room on the strength of the website and the fact that they pride themselves on being dog friendly - unfortunately we didn't receive the dog towels/blankets/treats that other people seemed to have, but I suppose I could have asked.......and that is the main problem I have with this hotel. We were asked at time of checkout if everything was ok, but it was obvious to me that the hotel was hosting some kind of wedding venue open day and they had potential customers within earshot.

Being a polite kind of girl, I don't like to complain, certainly not in a situation where I could damage their business - however, I realise now I am complaining! I have a sneaking feeling that the hotel was more interested in potential wedding customers than they were in a couple just wanting a weekend away. Were they saving the best rooms for the open day? Who knows? The surrounding area is stunning but don't rely on that alone Woodlands!

Room Tip: Phone the hotel and request one of their updated rooms! Don't book online and hope for the best...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
VickySpencer, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you so much for your comment, it's always helpful to hear what people think.It is disappointing that you did not talk to us during your stay, as if we had known you were unhappy with your room or failed to get the dog treats or dog blanket we could have remedied this immediately. We are working towards improving many aspects of this small hotel and room decoration is certainly one of our top priorities. Indeed we are currently refurbishing several rooms, and this weekend we deliberately kept you as far away from any disruption as possible, so you would have a more enjoyable stay. We pride ourselves on being dog friendly but we only allow dogs in a certain number of rooms for obvious reasons and this unfortunately limited our availability for this weekend. I am genuinely sorry to hear you thought your room was not good value at £104.00 for a Saturday night including your dog. I can assure you it takes considerable extra effort to accommodate dogs.
On the Sunday morning we were very busy and I am pleased you were given the opportunity to air any grievences. Despite hosting a wedding showcase our guests are always our top priority and we are very disappointed you did not feel this was the case. We are not perfect but we are here to help all our guests as best we possibly can at all times. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you. Thank you once again Imogene & Robert Anglaret Owners
Heacham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My partner and our 2dogs(Lilly and bumbles ) have just returned from a lovely break at woodlands lodge..we had a lovely 4 poster room with a conservatory ideal for the dogs..a lovely touch if u have dogs there was a lovely welcome note and dog treats from the hotel dalmation with a throw and towel..
The breakfast was lovely and so was the evening meal I had mussels and they were fantastic..along with the chocolate fondant...
The woodlands lodge staff were all very friendly and helpful..And our room was serviced everyday we were there.
Woodlands lodge is in the perfect location next to the newforest for those lovely autum walks and local towns..I would recommend this hotel to others u wouldn't be disappointed,we look forward to staying there again..

• Stayed November 2011
Hampshire
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Spent one Saturday night here for partner's birthday (Oct '11). Changed first room as we specifically chose this hotel for the whirlpool bath and first room did not have one. The next room was tired, had cobwebs and spiders in the shower! Sadly the whirlpool didn't work either. Staff did try to fix it but sadly could not. We did get a reduction on the final bill but very disappointed and envious when the upstairs room ran theirs!!!
Very noisy rooms, could hear voices, televisions, and snoring! Perhaps the new management should invest in some soundproofing when they revamp the bathrooms?
We were very aware that the hotel appeared to be understaffed. The reception area and bar were never manned and we watched customers trying to find members of staff for service.
Saying that, the hotel has a nice friendly, albeit, tired atmosphere, lovely grounds and is very relaxing.
I wish the new hoteliers all the best and hope that they bring the hotel up to a standard that makes them proud.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodlands
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Woodlands Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!