“New forest best kept secret...”

Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Woodlands
London
“New forest best kept secret...”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

just returned for 1night stay over Easter with my 2young kids. 1stly I would say it was great value for money, 2ndly you have to stay and have dinner here, would highly recommend to anyone. We had a family room which was perfect and credit to all the staff who went beyond expectations to take all the hassle out of turning up with 2 tired young kids after a day out at Pepper Pig world. They provided room service for the kids meals which were of great quality & more importantly: speed! We then had dinner ourselves in the restaurant later and great, food was not what I was expecting from a 3* hotel. We stayed with friends one of which is intolerance to various foods and they could not have been more accomodating. The head chef John even came out of kitchen after the meal to see if everything was ok & ask for feedback which I thought was very refreshing, we couldnt fault a thing! Our only surprise was that why the restaurant wasnt full!Although it wont be long before word gets out and this place is full to rafters...will definately be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and I have just returned from the "Woodlands Hotel" after a 3 night break. We can only congratulate the owners and staff on the quality of service we received through out our stay. Food was fantastic, staff were great, the location is perfect for the New Forest, Southampton, Bournemouth etc. All in all, fully recomendable. Would return any time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm C
Truro, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I booked 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary recently. Its a charming hotel which was ideally situated for exploring the New Forest. From reading other reviews I've noticed not everyone has been that impressed. From my experience running a small business I am fully aware that there are some days when it doesn't rain but it pores! It seems like the gentleman who experienced a night time fire drill and no breakfast was unlucky, as our stay was perfect. The staff were polite and courteous, the standard room was exactly as pictured on the website, and the food was lovely.

So brownie points for me as my wife was thoroughly impressed with my choice of hotel and I'm sure we'll return again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim S
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Woodlands Lodge Hotel on Thursday 9th February. The hotel is in a great location, only a five minute drive from a direct train service from Totton to London. The staff were firendly and helpful when we arrived and throughout our stay. We stayed in the garden suite, which was roomy to say the least; large double bedroom with flat screen TV, ensuite bathroom with freestanding bath and a power shower, living room with a sofa, conservatory with seating area, and an outdoor area. We ate at the restaurant and the food was excellent. My wife had a Wild Mushroom Risotto and I had Chicken with dauphinoise potatoes. I would recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing break and we will definitly be returning again in the summer.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I chose this hotel as the website made it look like a lovely warm and friendly environment, I wasn't disappointed! I was particularly interested in taking photography walks in the forest (which backs directly onto the garden) and had a great time. The room was really comfortable and the food in the restaurant was good. I was impressed with their knowledge of special dietary requirements. I recommend this hotel, great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hannah s
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

As a Christmas present to my wife I booked 2 nights away in the New Forest. We took our two young children & two small dogs. I won't be allowed to book hotels again. We had a Basil Faulty 18 hour stint- as did most other guests.
The hotel is tired & not anywhere near as sharp as the website suggests. It is certainly not luxury as the webiste suggests. However my wife kindly forgave me for this until 6am the next morning, when the fire alarm went off - all out! 20 mins or more later stood in January conditions the guests turned the alarm off & managed to wake the owner in a near by house. Rather than take control of the situation or apologise properly he seemed disgruntled.
For the next 90 mins we froze in our rooms, until at last the heating went on at 8am, when the staff turn up. At 9.30 I saw two guests walking out of breakfast, having waited for an hour for a cooked breaksast, only not to receive none. The chef hadn't turned up. I don't blame him.
That was the final straw for us, but just in case it wasn't our shower was so hot it could have cooked a sausage- 90 degree's and no way of cooling it down.
We left. I let them keep my deposit, but that was galling.
We found a Best Western up the road and it was like heaven - never thought I would say that!
I rarely if ever complain, I always search for the positive in people & situations, but this one took the buscuit. From now on, I will read Trip Advisor.
Be warned.

Room Tip: Your best bet is the Best Western!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danny A
Imogene A, Owner at Woodlands Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment and we can only apologise unreservedly for the disruption caused to you and your family, as well as our other guests that had to endure the early morning fire alarm. The fact that our breakfast chef chose that morning (of all mornings) to be late created a challenging environment that tested all of our resolve. We can assure you that we take our responsibilities as hoteliers very seriously, especially in regards to fire, as a result of this disruption we have fine-tuned our procedures to ensure our guests are never inconvenienced in this way again. We endeavour to provide a comfortable, safe and trouble free environment to all our guests and are sorry you and your family were disappointed.

We would like to say a huge thank you to all our guests for being so forgiving in giving us the opportunity to try and make amends over the rest of the weekend.
Woodlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

So good to know that there is a pleasant place to eat locally now, just what we needed!
A big thank you for such a lovely Christmas Day lunch (great not having to think about cooking or clearing up) and a super New Years Eve although Robert was very much the anxious Father to be he was there to welcome everyone. We had a fabulous evening the food was superb and we danced the night away, it was like being at a private party in a country house.
I also arranged a Christmas lunch for twelve people, we sat in the conservatory and once again I couldn't fault the food or service.
I will continue to recommend the Woodlands Hotel and wish Robert and Imogen every success, also many congratulations on the arrival of Oscar! We left the Hotel at 1.15am and I believe that he arrived at 2.15am!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodlands
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#8 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Woodlands Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!