“Quiet and beautiful place along the lake”

San Roque Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Talisay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We arrived at Roque Beach from Tagaytay by tricycle 200 pesos each. The road is bumpy. Tagaytay is located on the hill and Talisay along the lake. San Roque Beach is a family guesthouse. Lita is the welcoming owner and she works with her sons. This place is beautiful. Rooms (1500ps) are ok. Food is in good quantity with a whole meal. breakfast 250ps/lunch and diner 350ps. To rent à boat for the island cost 1500ps and 10 ps fees Taal volcano for each people. Next to the guesthouse, there is an interesting vulcanology center. Free visit. I think San Roque is the best place to go to the volcano

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric C

Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend arrived at San Roque hoping to stay for one night. We took a tricycle from Talisan as it is is about 2 to 3 km from the main town.

Arriving here we were impressed by the well kept gardens and the nice view of the lakeside and volcano and were greeted by a very friendly lady owner and some of her staff. I was surprised initially that there was so many staff and absolutely no other guests and wondered how she could afford to pay them...something I would later find out.

We were taken to look at our room and offered it for 1000 pesos for a double which was a little too high for our budget but we accepted as the lady was so kind.

We were then offered a ride to the volcano on her sons boat for 1500 pesos and agreed this. When we got there the place was ruined by the hundreds of Korean tourists who I witnessed throwing bottles and food wrappers into the lake and all over the volcano pathway. Not worth 1500 or the additional a d rather informal 50 peso "tourist fee" we were forced to pay on entering AND leaving. Neither was mentioned by the nice lady or her son.

When we returned we headed out for some food and the lady recommended a place in the town without us having to ask her. She said it was very cheap but had a nice menu. We arrived and it was not cheap but one of the most expensive we have seen in he Philippines so far.

When we returned to our room that night, there was a knock on the door an the lady told us she was leaving in the morning and would need paying now. She now wanted 3100 pesos, 1500 for the boat, 100 for the complimentary drinks when we arrived and 1500 for the room. She was very insistent that the room was 1500 and had always told us so...not so nice after all and a complete let down.

Thinking back after this there was another situation that doesn't feel right, when being brought back to the hostel on her sons boat he asked us if we could pay him the 1500 instead of to his mum like she had suggested. I said I would wait and see what she said when we arrived. He then tried to explain why he needed it now, his boat engine was broken and he needed the money to fix it (this whilst driving us home in the boat with said engine running fine).

All in all, very nice place and nice people if you have the money and don't mind paying above the stated price. Otherwise, avoid. A great shame this is my first ever negative review, usually easily pleased although this is just not good enough.

• Stayed: June 2013
19  Thank Chris-Marton
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here for a break after working in Manila - it was great place for a couple of days to escape the heat, traffic and noise of Manila. Mrs Lita the owner was very friendly, helpful, and tactful enough to leave me alone to read my book when I wanted to.

If you phone in advance she'll give you detailed travel instructions: from Manila, bus to Tanauwan (Php104), jeep to Talisay (Php23) and tricycle to the resort (Php50, less if you share with a local).

Room was clean, basic, but with aircon and hot shower. Quiet apart from crickets, dogs, cockerells etc - so as you'd expect for a place out in the country.

Eventing meals were Php300, breakfast Php200, and beer Php45. Meals were basic, philippino, but well done. I had chickent one night and local lake fish the other, with vegetables and rice (lots of). There wasn't a choice.

Downside is there's not much to do in Talisay - and a trip up the hill to Tagaytay relies on an infrequent jeepney service, or is a 200-300+ peso tricycle ride. On the other hand Tagaytay is a huge, unpleasant sprawl anyway, so who would want to? One of the sons will take you to in his boat to Taal volcano for Php1500 per trip.

There is a "swimming area" in the lake - but this didn't look too inviting at this time of year. You need to go down some greasy steps by the jetty to get to the water, so not good for children.

So overall, recommended if you're a reasonably easily pleased traveller looking for peace and quiet. I'll be going again if I work more in Manila.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Matt H
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We found this place at some website, the map was very misleading and even the name is. On the map the location says its near the beach. So most people would think its not a lake resort but a beach resort also because of its name which i think is misleading poor tourists. unfortunately we were one of those people and my bf made a mistake of booking 3 nights instead of one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank laurent1381
Reviewed 17 October 2010

If you are looking for a peaceful getaway on the lake you can't go past this value for money property. Family run the welcome you get when you arrive is followed up with wonderful service. The rooms are small but very clean and the whole property is well maintained. The owners can organize a boat etc. Just ask.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank OztravelsAust
Reviewed 8 March 2010

San Roque Beach Resort, Talisay
March 2010
Nice place at the lake with very nice view on the Taal volcano.
Very nice rooms 1500-2500 pesos, very clean, aircon, hot water.
Boat to the volcano: 2500 pesos for 5 persons. Go at 7 AM, it's terribly hot and steep, take 2L water per person! And a hat! You can climb up and then down to the inner lake with boiling mud.
They can get you in Tagaytay if you want, 300 pesos, there are no jeepnees. Or 200 pesos for a tricycle.
Good food, and very friendly!
NO beach, but the lake is not the place to swim!
free WIFI, slow.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank jp2000b
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I stayed at the San Roque and was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of all the staff and the helpful attitude of the owners. I enjoyed the serenity of the place, after a week in Manila doing business at a frantic pace, it was great to relax and have some meaningfull conversations with other interesting travellers. I went out to the volcano and climbed to the top and all in all I had a great relaxing holiday there. I made a video of the resort that I put on YouTube
have a look and see what you think - I had a ball there.

Tony Coen

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank gr8wealth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talisay
3 mi away
0 mi away
Villa Khristalene Resort
Villa Khristalene Resort
#3 of 4 in Talisay

Been to San Roque Beach Resort? Share your experiences!