“Perfect for corporate/official functions”
Review of Club Balai Isabel

Club Balai Isabel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Talisay
Manila, Philippines
“Perfect for corporate/official functions”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've been to Club Balai Isabel four times, and all those times were work-related. The most recent was during our teambuilding. If you want an area that's relaxing, conducive and affordable, CBI is one of those perfect venues. Their account executives and manager are easy to talk with, and their staff are courteous and very helpful. I was one of those who recommended this place because my past three stays were almost hassle-free, with the participants enjoying the scenery, their rooms, and the food.

In all my stays, I've stayed in different types of rooms - in one of those two-storey three-bedroom villas along the main road, in the regular hotel-type rooms near the main resto and front desk, and in a studio-type room in one of the newest buildings. I guess I can count myself lucky that every time, I could count on lying on comfy beds, having the bathroom fixtures working, and eating good food -- the most important considerations for participants to enjoy their workshops and training!

Prior to our teambuilding, I had last been in CBI in 2009. I was pleased to see a lot of changes. More pools, with the biggest one just right behind our accommodations -- which was great since we didn't have to swim in the pool behind the resto where other guests could gawk at us or, worse, find their food unappealing because of the sight of us in our bathing suits destroying the perfect view of Taal.

My officemates who arranged our team building were very pleased, because at the rate we got, they all felt we had a good deal, especially with the delicious buffet meals. The only blight was when we were assigned to a function room where the air conditioning was not working. Add the fact that we were served hot lomi for merienda and pretty soon we were sweltering.

Another gripe: the phones in our rooms. Ours was working, thank goodness, but we could call just the front desk, and not the other rooms. Inconvenient for some of us who didn't have enough celfone load, LOL.

Back to the buffet -- I was glad to see that a portion of the resto was closed off for air conditioning. Too bad they enclosed the ladies' room in that area too, because that area can be a bit exclusive for some participants and it almost felt like we were trespassing if we needed to go in.

Glad to see there was a pasta pizzeria there, too, serving affordable fare. Too bad we forgot to order before we left!

At night, diners are serenaded by someone singing -- we didn't have that before! And for our final night, we had dinner and cocktails in one of their function rooms behind the resto. A band played for us.

The boutique beside the resto has also grown in size along with their merchandise! We love their herbal/organic goodies, like scents, healing balms (smells so good!), pillow spray, and massage oil -- which was perfect for my occasional sessions with my masseuse back in Manila.

We were pleased to see a church (Espousal of Joseph and Mary) inside the premises. It was convenient for us to attend Mass here as our team building extended up to Sunday. I don't think they served weekday Masses, though, because our rooms were located just across it and we didn't hear any activity. And why was I not surprised that the bossa singer whom we enjoyed listening to during dinner was the one who sang during the Mass?

I was also glad to see them renting out bicycles of all sizes. I could see kids enjoying their stay by biking around the premises.

We were disappointed to see, though, that it looked like some of their wastewater was being dumped into Taal Lake. We hope we're wrong -- but there are gaps along the shore where you can see some smelly water draining straight into the lake. Please fix this up, it's not good for the environment! And to think that the tasty tawilis and maliputo can only be found in this lake!

As before, you could arrange a trip to Taal Volcano Island where you can trek or ride a horse uphill to the crater. The horse costs P450, however, but the 3.5-km trek is free. Just be sure to avoid the sulphur smoke seeping from the rocks, and the "land mines" left by the horses along the trail. But then that's another story. :-)

CBI is a perfect getaway that's not too far from the city. Talisay is a small town at the bottom of Tagaytay City (there's a small winding road leading straight down to it from Tagaytay, or you could go via SLEX-STAR Tollway-Tanauan/Sambat exit). If you're looking for a few goodies to eat but don't want to order from the resort, the Talisay town proper is just a couple of minutes drive away, and they have 7-11, bakeries, and even the public market for some pasalubong.

Clarification: Club Balai Isabel is not the resort owned by Kuh Ledesma. That's Hacienda Isabela off Tagaytay City. :-)

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a balcony so you can breathe in the fresh air and have a good view of Taal
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Irene Nympha C, Customer Service Officer at Club Balai Isabel, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Ms. myaji,

Thank you for your heartwarming feedback. We really appreciate the kind words you mentioned and we will continue to do our best to extend the same quality of service you experienced during your stay.

Sorry about the air-conditioning failure in the function room, along with the hot lomi; and the non-functioning phones in some rooms.

Regarding the wastewater you saw going to the lake, those are rainwater collected through drainage pipes. They are not water from the sewer lines. We have our sewage treatment facility (STF) in the resort, which makes sure our wastewater are properly treated and disposed of. In fact, the treated wastewater from our restaurant is completely out of oil when it goes back to the system.

In addition, lake water in the lakefront is tested regularly by independent agencies to check compliance with DENR.

We sincerely hope that you'll come back once again!

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Costa Mesa
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Aug 13 ovrnight stay to MK room. We felt unwelcome coz stove not working, TV no signal, patio light busted, hallway lights not working. We had to call each time we found out something was off. Woke up in the morning with leaking A/C, so had to call again to hv it fixed & cleaned up. found out that filter was soo dirty so it leaked. Paid $12k thinking wld be relaxing, fun, fun stay. I asked for manager to complain, was told has not arrived yet at 8:16am. Mgr called the room when I ws out swimming & didnt follwup. They dont care coz we paid in full or maybe we r not foreigners. Dont recommend this place!!!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank TheTravelingFams
Dear TheTravelingFams,

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Rest assured that we are doing all the necessary measures to avoid this incident from happening again. We are also reviewing our records so your grievances will be properly addressed to the concerned departments.

On this note, we would also like to clarify that Club Balai Isabel values everyone equally, local or foreigner. It is our utmost responsibility to make sure that all guests are equally assisted during their stay.

Again, we sincerely apologize if in any way you were offended by what happened.

Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Talisay hotels

Mandaluyong, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 15 August 2014

not only that club balai isabel has a vast selection of activities, but the staff are very accomodating,too. they are courteous and polite. the food is good, really good and in big serving at the right price. the room we stayed in is a standard room with two double beds and a space just outside the room where you can just seat while having your merienda admiring the beautiful landscape outside the room. and the pool, my god the pool,the infinity pool that is so beautiful you can never resist but dive in. we were about to eat early dinner when we decided to check out the infinity pool first but the moment i saw the pool, i thought, the food can wait but not this water--so clear, so blue, it's like calling unto me.

Room Tip: wait for the promo. even their cheapest room has 3 star qualities
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ms. EmmaMarieMinao,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

It really touches our hearts and makes us want to do better.

Thank you once again and do not hesitate to come back.
Quezon City
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited Balai Isabel for a workshop. Our room had own own veranda with a perfect view of Taal lake. There is complimentary coffee and bottled water. Despite the power outages in the area due to typhoon Glenda, the split type air con in our room was working fine but a bit noisy. They have cable channels but intermittently loses signal. There is no wifi in the room. The plastic awning outside our room must have been blown away by the typhoon so you get wet going in and out of the room when it rains. I requested for an umbrella as a remedy but nothing came even after several requests at the front desk. Other requests will also cost you - p50 for additional pillow and p100 for towels. The functions rooms are spacious enough for a workshop, well-equipped and offered a nice view of the lake.

Upon waking up the next day, there was no water in the faucet! The staff immediately fixed this but yellowish, murky water came out. I was disappointed because you cannot expect this from happening considering their rooms were not cheap at all.

Food at the Terraza cafe was ok and are not that expensive. Some servings can even be shared by 3-4 people. We enjoyed the pizza, crispy tawilis, lomi!

The staff were always smiling and do not fail to greet you every time which makes you feel very welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Irene Nympha C, Customer Service Officer at Club Balai Isabel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Ms. rasberry128,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your understanding regarding our situation due to typhoon Glenda. Also, we apologize for the umbrella that never came. We will look into this matter and notify the concerned department.

On another note, there have been some problems on our water system due to the recent typhoon. Rest assured that we are doing all the necessary action to solve this.
Meanwhile, we are glad that you enjoyed our pizza, lomi and tawilis. Our commitment to our guests is to give quality service and make them feel that they are always welcome at Club Balai Isabel.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon!
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and i went there this week to celebrate my birthday.I chose balai because i haven't been there yet and i wanted to experience an accomodation with a view of the scenic taal lake and the taal volcano.It was indeed my day because my wish came true and not only that,everything was so perfect! The room was well maintained and the bathroom was so clean with all the necessities.The veranda is so spaciou. The resort was partially devastated by the recent typhoon Glenda and i understand why there were no cable channels and no wifi in our room. But at least there were local channels on tv and the airconditon was functioning well. The staff were so accomodating and polite. We had a romantic dinner at the restaurant beside the infinity pool. I loved the pesto pasta,ceasars salad and hot kalamansi juice that i ordered. My husband had the kare kare and was not so convinced that it was the bestseller considering that it was a bit pricey. The breakfast a la carte menu which is included in our accomodation was superb for both of us. I love balai isabel,it made my birthday memorable:)

Room Tip: it's lovely to stay in the hotel rooms with the lake view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Athena B
Dear Ms. Athena B,

Thank you for your heartwarming feedback. We really appreciate the kind words. It motivates us to strive harder and continuously exceed the expectations of our guests. Belated happy birthday!

Thank you and we hope to see you again!
Santa Rosa, Philippines
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It was such an amazing experience, the view was just so peaceful and the place was really something else. This is such a family friendly area, you can just walk around an enjoy the shade of the trees or go biking, they have rentals which are at reasonable prices, then they also have the play area for billiards and darts. But if you would like to bask under the sun, they have three pools, one near the restaurant, another partially hidden and the main pool, the best pool I have ever seen by far, huge with just the right amount of depth, I believe the deepest is 6 feet. The complimentary breakfast is also scrumptious, I super loved the dangit, it's just perfect.

If you would like to have a weekend getaway, this would be the best place to go to, it's away from the busy life of the city and it's not crowded like the other resorts.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kristineaov
Irene Nympha C, Customer Service Officer at Club Balai Isabel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Ms. Kristineaov,

Thank you for choosing Club Balai Isabel for your vacation. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future!
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The second time I stayed at Club Balai Isabel is for work, a two-day meeting with my colleagues.

Rooms - I feel that the Orchid Villa rooms (advertised for 6-8 pax) are great for four adults sharing, not more - for the comfort of guests. Because the villa only had one toilet per apartment, there was a queue to shower in the evening, and without a bath mat, it was a mess! The room notably had a kitchen equipped with cooking pots and pans, fridge, a dining table with six places, and a balcony. The cable TV reception was unstable and there is no free wifi in the room! My two colleagues who slept in the bedroom with two queen beds complained that they did not sleep well - the air-conditioning was too cold and they could not regulate the temperature. I slept quite good even though their blanket was just a flat sheet.

Facilities - meeting room was spacious and well equipped, lovely view of the lake. Just what we needed. I really enjoyed sitting by the lake in the morning before our session. It was also nice to have a swim in their warm pool in the evening after work.

Food - The food was great variety, quality, and quantity of the portions (to a fault!) -- I think they really improved in this area since my last visit. Maybe next time we book a package here, I will skip the merienda (though they did serve the delicious local Batangas lomi perfect for an overcast afternoon) -- because the portions were too huge that it was almost painful to have food every three hours or so!

Service - They are stellar in this area! Reserving was easy and we were extended a corporate discount. The staff took very good care of us and the manager was very accommodating. Will probably visit again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ms. Alunsina,

We appreciate your review of our resort. We understand your concerns about the rooms and we are continuously doing all the necessary actions to ensure a memorable experience for all of our guests.

On the other hand, we appreciate your heartwarming feedback on our function hall, food and quality of our service. We will definitely strive harder to achieve 100% satisfaction from our guests.

Again, thank you very much and we hope to see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talisay
Coral Beach Club
Canyon Cove Beach Club
Canyon Cove Beach Club
#2 of 4 in Nasugbu
White Castle Resort & Hotel

Been to Club Balai Isabel? Share your experiences!