“Wonderful place - easy getaway from Santiago”

Cascada de las Animas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Alfonso
California
“Wonderful place - easy getaway from Santiago”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Cascada de las Animas is a converted ranch/farm (apparently they used to grow walnuts - there are mature walnut trees everywhere and a basket of them in the room) in a lovely setting. It is a large complex, with camping, cabins and a luxury lodge. I stayed at the latter. For $200 a night, I felt like the queen of Sheba. I recommend them highly. I think it's worth the extra money, if you've got it (I can't afford anything like this in the US or Europe, so I loved the pampering.) The lodge cabins look like Fred Flintstone meets the Hobbits. They are fanciful and comfortable. The lodge has it's own private pool, complete with Felipe bringing you beverages. I was there for two days and never saw more than one other couple there. (Downside - the pool looks unfinished and wasn't heated when I was there, making it too cold for more than a quick dip.) There were also shaded hammocks, where I spent a lot of time. The breakfast that came with the room (I think this is lodge-only) was great - lots of fresh fruit and eggs to order. There are lots of activities - horseback riding, rafting, kayaking and zip-lining, but my Spanish is pretty limited and I didn't want to try anything where I might get hurt if I didn't understand the instructions. I went on the hike to the waterfall, which was lovely. I wish I could have gone on my own, but i understand why they want to keep it supervised. It could get pretty crowded and rowdy otherwise.

The downside was the service in the restaurant. I was happy to forgive them, because I wasn't in a hurry and the food was good, but it was insanely bad. The server didn't want to clear the riverside table, so she tried to make us sit inside, where the disco from the wedding room was too loud. Don't eat at the restaurant unless you have a couple of hours before a scheduled activity - they're not quick.

Note: There are other restaurants nearby.

I took the bus from the Metro station. I loved taking a $1.50 bus to a lux resort. I took the collectivo back to the metro. It was $3.00 and faster (2 hours door-to-door in downtown Santiago), but less comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank louxx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Mount Hope, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Cascada de las Anamas offers a variety of accommodations, activities & transportation options to get there. We were warmly greeted, in English, by the reception staff. We chose to stay in one of the uniquely designed lodge suites. Our lodge was spectacular with panoramic views of the mountains & stars at night from the skylight. Our lodge had beautifully built amenities and we had a smaller reception area to go to for breakfast. Every morning,Betty had an ample buffet set up for residents of the lodges and she would make fresh eggs, pancakes . . . Also, we hiked the trails & went for a 2 hour horseback ride up into the mountains. A breathtaking experience. Our guide also spoke English. They are currently building a pool at the lodge end of the property. This is great, as it was a long walk to the big pool. The restaurant is built along the side of the river, great views. All the food was delicious. Knowing some Spanish or having a phrase book is helpful when ordering. They are true to their mission statement and objectives. We had a luxurious experience discovering & playing in this unique eco- area of Chile.

Room Tip: Although they cost a little more, the lodge suites are a truly unique experience. They are built fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roy_Leanne
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Close to Santiago and full of activities to do. And just an anecdote: I left forgotten my Ray Ban sunglasses at the restaurant the last night I stayed there. The next day I called and the staff had my sunglasses in good storage. They told me "nothing ever get lost here" Guau, nice

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Macarena_LB
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 12 March 2013

WOW! What a great stay. We originally looked for something close to Santiago for a long weekend. We originally were looking to spend some time at one of the thermal baths. So I looked at Termas de Colinas, but found out they were more than an hour away. We opted for the stay anyway. Originally, we booked to stay in the Hostel but we were pleasantly surprised that a cabin became available when we arrived. The cost was about 20,000 CLP more per night but we decided it would be a well spent 40 USD… We arrived around noonish and were greeted with open arms and welcome smiles. I was a bit surprised because on the phone, the young lady seemed a bit tired and pre-occupied with other things. Pleasantly we were greeted with cold water to drink and a smile. Upon checking in and paying for our cabin we were shown where our cabin was located and asked if we wanted help getting there. I should mention that when you make the reservation, a 50% deposit is required of which only portions are refundable depending on the time frame involved. It will be wise to read the T&Cs required for any changes or cancellations. Once we got to the cabin, a lady greeted us with the key and showed us in. She made sure we had clean towels and asked if anything else was needed. It was very kind of her to ask as (from reading other reviews) I was concerned about the hot water. I asked her and within 10 minutes a man was there to light the hot water heater. We had steaming hot water all weekend! After settling in and deciding we for sure would not make the Hot Springs, we took a short walk around the place. It was beautiful. The outside of the cabin was separated by trees and bushes etc. so you had the feel of seclusion. The Walnut trees were huge and beautiful and offered plenty of shade for the area. The grape arbor next to the house was teaming with some of the sweetest grapes I have ever tasted. We walked down to the “Information Cabin” and asked around about what to do. We decided on an all day horseback trek up the mountain with lunch provided. It was a little spendy but well worth it just for the views! We also opted for a massage and reflexology after the horseback ride AND (like dummies) we signed up for a river raft ride the following morning. We then retired to the restaurant for a light appetizer of Shrimp and Mushroom Pil Pil. Pil Pil is basically sauté in butter and garlic with a few other “secret” herbs and spices. This was some of the best we have had in Chile. Done to perfection, the shrimp were very tasteful and just the right size; not the little tiny eraser shrimp not were they the giants…just right. Additionally, the whole rafting and horseback team came over to the restaurant and made a large fire in the fir pit. We sat there talking and telling lies to each other for some time before my wife reminded me that they were in the mid twenties and didn’t need a bunch of people in their mid fifties hanging around! Their hospitality was gracious and we could’ve stayed all night with them, but the truth is, we were tired and had a big day coming!

Well, the horseback ride up the mountain was a little more intense than what I had anticipated as the trail was sometimes very narrow. But, my wife and I felt completely safe in the hands of our guide CRECHO. He was great! The horses were very gentle and easy to ride. The climb to the top was full of spectacular views of the Maipo River Valley, “Cajon de Maipo”, and the ride was enjoyable. Atop the mountain we took a quick (very quick I might add) in a spring fed stream of water that had a section of pool. I thought it was fed by a glacier! Then we had a fine meal of grilled steak, rice and some of the best Chilean Pebre I have tasted. Of course there was plenty of delicious tomatoes and avocado salad as well. Lunch was topped off with a desert of “banana peaches” that Crecho brought along. After dinner we took a short nap in the Hammocks that near the lunch area and took in the beautiful view. The trip down was a little long, but beautiful scenery made it pass. Yes, we were sore! We couldn’t wait for the massage! We had a short hour or so before our massage so we showered off and walked to the pool area where the massage “hooch” was. It was very relaxing and SOLDAR (pronounced sole dar I think) gave the best massage I have ever had! Now I am not an expert on massages but I couldn’t imagine it being any better. It hurt, but in a good way after a full day of horseback riding! After the massage the we opted to go to the restaurant and order rather than cook and we split the grilled Salmon. It was to die for. Cooked to perfect and not dried out! Delicious!

Well, needless to say, I was ready for the rafting trip the next morning but my wife was not. Once she got to mentioning how her legs, arms, hips, back, thighs, and everywhere else on her body hurt, I agreed and then got out of bed. WHOA… I was out of horseback riding shape! We laughed at each other and decided to cancel our raft trip and opted for building a small fire outside, drank coffee and cooked breakfast.

All in all in was a great trip. The service was fantastic and the accommodations were great. There was plenty to do; there was a zip line across the river, a canopy line (a zip line from tree to tree that looked fun), winery trips and anything else you could think of to do. There were additional charges for the extra stuff, but most of the prices were reasonable. The restaurant was an excellent value. The staff, from Crecho on the horses and Alex on the “Safety Kayak” there were never times when you were not attended to! I must say that we went the first of March, so it was not crowded on the week days and picked up on the weekends, so there were plenty of people to help us! A great staff; A great place and a great time was had by all!

Room Tip: Cabin #1 is close to the Sauna and 8 is close to the "stuff" with 6 across from the kids p...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BillyAbroad
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 March 2013

For some reason a review of this place is only listed on hotels while this location/venue offers so much more. My party and I were staying in Santiago and booked a rafting/canopy combination adventure. All arrangements to include deposits were made via email. The location is about a 1 hr drive from downtown Santiago, but once you get to Cascada, the fun begins. All I can say is DO IT!; the lunch served as part of the package is enough to feed an army, and it is served at a lovely restaurant overlooking the river. Very well done, safe and open to various skill levels. A great way to experience the outdoors, raft and escape the hustle of the bustle of the city.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cruisinbob
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Beautiful sanctuary, we stayed there for one night at the hostel. Beautiful house with big rooms with private bathroom.
Included was a complimentary pisco sour and a trekking to see the waterfall, and we added up the rafting experience, really fun in a unique area with very nice guides.
We also tried to reach the thermal waters by the volcano, but the police had to stop us due to strong summer rainfalls.
The staff at the welcome center and restaurant was just ok, not eager to help nor effective as one would expect, but the rest of the activity "guides" were much better.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank FlyingRobert
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My wife and mother took a day trip to Cascada and we couldn't say enough about our experience. We got picked up promptly in Santiago and were driven to Cascada. Once there, we were helped to get situated and comfortable with the grounds. We were given a quick history of the place and how it came to existence. We then proceeded to the 3 hour horse back riding tour of the Andes. This was our trip highlight. Although some people in our party were scared of riding horses since they did not know what they were doing, the guide was very patient and ended up tying the horse to his. The views were increadible and beautiful. The only I would advise is that if you have a fear of heights, cliffs and/or horses- do NOT go on the horse back riding tour.

After the tour we ate lunch at their restuarant which was unique in how it was situated and built. We then spend some time at their pool which although was cold, it was beautifully kept and one a kind.

My wife and I then went on the waterfall (cascada) walking tour. Unfortunately the winter before did not provide much snow so there was not much of waterfall to be seen. The hike was fun (although hot) and rigorous at times but again the guide was patient and understanding the whole way.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hostal Chikiyan
Hostal Chikiyan
#1 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maipo
Hotel Altiplanico Cajon del Maip...
#1 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo
Lacasadecarlitos
Lacasadecarlitos
#2 of 7 in San Jose de Maipo
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
Lodge Andino El Ingenio
#4 of 19 in San Jose de Maipo

Been to Cascada de las Animas? Share your experiences!