My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hostal Cascada de Las Animas, which is located at 3 blocks from the Cascada de las Animas Nature Center. We were attending a friend's wedding in Cajón del Maipo at CasaBosque on Saturday night, so we decided to stay over for the weekend at Hostal Cascada de Las Animas, whih is located in the main street. It is a 2 story house built in rock, surrounded by gardens -quiet enviorment- with a big living room with a chimney -fire was seldom lighted inside, though it was winter-. Our room was the only one in the 2nd floor and we had a medium sized terrace with a nice view of the mountains.
We arrived on Sat Friday July 30th around 11.00 pm. It had been raining and some snow still laid on the floor. We had advised the hour of our arrival but it seems they turned on the heating at last minute. The room was chilling! Eventhough the room did have a heating system, it was too small sized for the room's size. Worse was the fact the bathroom was outside the room, in the hall, with no heating system. Coldest bathroom ever! It was supposed to be our private bathroom but anyone could enter since all bathrooms were located in the halls. I had to continously move my personal bath items from the room to the bathroom and from the bathroom to the room.
The furniture, specially the bed, sheets and pillows looked old and worn out...the window's curtain was so thin all the cold passed through! (The bathroom towels were fine quality though).
After the chilling cold night was over, we went downstairs for breakfast (included), it consisted in natural juice, home made bread, some jam and butter, tea & milk. Afterwards we left to the Nature Center for our free tour to the waterfalls at 12 am. It was a lovely short walking tour with nice sightseeings.
Afterwards we went to have lunch to Trattoria Calypso and when we returned to the Hostal around 4.30 pm, our room was exactly as we had left it: wet towels in the bathroom, wet bathroom floor, no fresh towels, no toilette paper, garbage can full, bed undone, not even a broom had passed by our room (before we left, we left the room's door completely open with the room's key placed in place..impossible to miss!)
When we asked the housekeeper why our room & bathroom had not been cleaned considering we were gone from 12 am to 4.30 pm, she told us room & bathroom cleaning was not included in her chores nor in anyones'.She didn't even offer us to make the room then..so we had to clean our room & bathroom by ourselves! Unbelievable! (considering I asked for quotations in many places in Cajón del Maipo, and Hostal Cascada de las Animas was one of the most expensive ones: 60 dollars / $30,000 Chile pesos per night). By the way, all this made me wonder about the hygiene of the Hostal's rooms and bathrooms.
After this we considered we've had enough with the Hostal Cascada de las Animas and if we had had the possibility to stay the night at some place else we would have, but we had to get dressed for the wedding.
When we spoke to our friends at the wedding in CasaBosque, we found out most of them were staying there for the night. They told us about how warm their rooms were (heating system with remote control), bathrooms were inside the rooms and heated just like in most hotels, breakfast was great (and of course, they didn't have to clean the room & bathroom by themselves!).
In the end, we realized we'd make the wrong hotel choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cascada de las Animas is a full service eco-tourism resort located in a natural paradise of over 3700 hectares of rugged mountains and valleys, rivers, springs and waterfalls. Only 60 kilometers from Santiago Chile, you will find a wide assortment of delightful cabins, rooms, hostel accommodations, a full service restaurant, swimming pool and more, all located in a park-like setting. Guided horseback riding, whitewater rafting, trekking, wine tasting excursions and other activities are available year-round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Cascada de las Animas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cascada De Las Animas Hotel San Alfonso
- Cascada De Las Animas Chile/San Alfonso