Im just back in Sydney after spending a week at Walindi Plantation Resort. If you are looking for an INCREDIBLE diving experience in pristine waters, with dozens of different diving sites, coupled with very comfortable accomodation, all food, organised transfers, optional land tours, in a friendly, peaceful, and private environment, then I cannot recommend this place enough!
Food: We took a picnic lunch out with us each day we dived, which was hearty, generous, varied, and tasty. Dinner was normally an option of 3 courses from an alacarte menu, which was also very satisfying, and flavourful…well done kitchen team! All I could say is that after getting back from 2 or 3 dives a day, by mid to late afternoon…we were pretty hungry. Having more pre dinner snack options displayed / available might be something to consider to the hungry diver.
The accom: was clean, cool, very comfortable, with daily housekeeping, and the laundry service (included) is a luxury that I was not used too..was kind nice to go home with a bag full of CLEAN clothes! The solar lights and fans after the generator power cuts off at 11pm each night was entirely fine too.
The diving: was the best Ive ever done. Special thanks to Dom, Lucas, Fredie, and Gary for making sure we had an awesome diving experience. As well as the varied colourful bommies, walls & fish we encountered, swimming with the dophins was a massive unexpected bonus too!!
Getting there: this is part of the PNG experience as well. Port Moresby airport is drag to transit thru, but if your connections all work smoothly, you'll be out of there pretty quick. Kimbe airport is nothing but a tin shed, and we were glad for the Walindi staff both meeting us and staying with us for our in+outbound flights. The drive in from Kimbe airport to Walindi takes about an hour, but its an interesting drive thru the town, and palm plantations.
Well done to Cheyne, Emma, their family, and team for operating such a welcoming, comfortable resort with the somewhat limited means that Kimbe / island life can provide...we didnt miss a thing, and look forward to organising another trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walindi Plantation Resort, established in 1983, is an intimate dive resort situated on the shores of Kimbe Bay on the island of New Britain, Papua New Guinea. Celebrating over 30 years of operation, the resort is world famous for its quality of diving, international award-winning photography and warm hospitality. The resort's guest book reads like a Who's Who in the world of Sport Diving and Underwater Photography and the resort has been voted to have the "best diving from a resort anywhere in the world" by reader surveys. Walindi Resort offers 12 traditional style, self-contained bungalows spread along the beachfront and surrounded by rainforest gardens along with 8 Plantation House rooms. Bungalow facilities include en-suite bathrooms, ceiling fans, large windows to catch the tropical breezes, kitchenette with tea and coffee making facilities, and private verandas overlooking the beach and gardens. The central resort area is the social hub of Walindi and includes the tropical and airy reception and dining room, lounge and bar area, swimming pool, sundeck, boutique and a comprehensive library with computers for guest internet connection. Wireless internet is available in the main resort area. Catering to a small number of guests at the resort means you receive undivided attention, yet the freedom to feel every dive has been made for you alone. Good company, great food, friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere provide a perfect backdrop while you enjoy the delights of Kimbe Bay diving. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Walindi Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Walindi Plantation Hotel Kimbe
- Walindi Plantation Resort Kimbe, Papua New Guinea - New Britain Island