I stayed in one of the bungalows for a night before the MV Febrina went out on a seven day dive trip around Kimbe Bay. The area is quite beautiful and the rooms were really nice. During this time, there was much rainfall and we did get quite a few mosquitoes so be sure to bring spray although the resort does provide roach killer in all the rooms.
The food is good and there is a lot of it. The staff is friendly and very accomodating; as are the other guests. Everyone is quite friendly. Joseph organised a volcano walk up Mt. Habuna which was really great. You must be fit for this as it can get very difficult. The guide tells me he often needs to turn around mid way because the guests will not make it to the top in time before dark so make sure you know your fitness and don't risk disappointment. The steam geysers and sulfur pools were spectacular. If you're fit enough I would give it a go. Some of the other guests took the less physical land tours and absolutely loved it. Highly recommended!
The dive trip on the Febrina was really nice. The rain did bring down the viz slightly but as for the diving I would say that the fishlife is very plentiful and the corals are outstanding. I suppose due to the fact that PNG doesn't get cyclones nor hordes or divers who touch, kick and stomp all over the corals, the formations and structures are allowed to grow to enormous lengths and sizes. I was quite impressed with this.
Digger and Josey are excellent local guides who can spot anything you wish and will take the time to show you if you miss it.
The boat has very comfortable cabins. I actually could nap between dives it was that comfortable. I was impressed with this as well.
The food is great. Chef always cooks up really great meals. The soups are just perfect after the dives and the mains are really great and filling.
The rest of the crew is great at keeping the rooms tidy, doing your laundry if you require, filling your tanks and sorting your gear if asked. Especially at the end of the trip, the crew cleans and dries you gear before your trip ends so you never have to worry about packing away wet and dirty gear. They definitely earn their tips believe me!
The skipper Alan is amazing. He brings us to the most amazing dive sites and it always safe and extremely competent. Also very polite even when some guests are testing his patience; I was amazed :)
Thanks to Gary and Stephane. You guys were great!
Also dealing with Cheryll in organising this trip; a more pleasant experience you could not ask for. Quick responses regarding prices, payment, services, airport pickups, drop offs, all the little peripherals of a holiday that you don't want to deal with, she makes it happen.
I had a wonderful time and would strongly recommend this trip. You'll get pristine diving and lots of it. PNG diving is really everything they say it is.
March 1-7 2014 Febrina Liveaboard
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walindi Plantation Resort, established in 1983, is an intimate dive resort situated on the shores of Kimbe Bay on the island of New Britain, Papua New Guinea. Celebrating over 30 years of operation, the resort is world famous for its quality of diving, international award-winning photography and warm hospitality. The resort's guest book reads like a Who's Who in the world of Sport Diving and Underwater Photography and the resort has been voted to have the "best diving from a resort anywhere in the world" by reader surveys. Walindi Resort offers 12 traditional style, self-contained bungalows spread along the beachfront and surrounded by rainforest gardens along with 8 Plantation House rooms. Bungalow facilities include en-suite bathrooms, ceiling fans, large windows to catch the tropical breezes, kitchenette with tea and coffee making facilities, and private verandas overlooking the beach and gardens. The central resort area is the social hub of Walindi and includes the tropical and airy reception and dining room, lounge and bar area, swimming pool, sundeck, boutique and a comprehensive library with computers for guest internet connection. Wireless internet is available in the main resort area. Catering to a small number of guests at the resort means you receive undivided attention, yet the freedom to feel every dive has been made for you alone. Good company, great food, friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere provide a perfect backdrop while you enjoy the delights of Kimbe Bay diving. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Walindi Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Walindi Plantation Hotel Kimbe
- Walindi Plantation Resort Kimbe, Papua New Guinea - New Britain Island