“Pleasantly surprised by afternoon tea, shocked by service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Marge Hotel

Sea Marge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Overstrand
Colchester
“Pleasantly surprised by afternoon tea, shocked by service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I took my mother for afternoon tea with my sisters for her birthday, when we arrive we were greeted at reception and told to make our way through to the bar where we would be served. We walked through to the bar and we weren't acknowledged for a good while even though we were the only customers in the bar, the lady behind the bar was busy however it wouldn't have taken much to at least say hello. Once we had been acknowledged she abruptly asked for our reservation name and we were then asked if we would like tea or coffee baring in mind we hadn't even sat down yet! We gave our order and she told us to find a place to sit. As it was a lovely sunny day we decided to sit outside as the other customers had. We then waited over 10 minutes for our tea to come out and as it was a hot day I would have liked to be offered water or a cold drink as well but we weren't and I had to ask for it, this however did come out promptly along with the clean cup to replace a dirty one she had bought out the first time. Then the afternoon tea arrived which was delicious, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food served, the sandwiches were fresh and with nice flavours, the scones were soft and fluffy and there was a lovely selection of cakes. It would have been a nice touch to be told what each of the cakes and sandwiches were but this wasn't an issue. My biggest issue with our visit is we never saw the waitress again, she didn't come to check if the food was to our liking, she didn't offer a top up of tea or water and I felt as though she had completely forgotten we were there. When we came to pay we had to go in to get the bill and there was no pleasantries asking if we had enjoyed ourselves the waiter took our payment silently except to ask the booking name and then we left.

I really feel that the service let down the whole experience. The building is beautiful and in a stunning location with an expansive garden where you can walk to look over at the sea and on a sunny day it is exceptional! However I will not be visiting again even though we enjoyed the food immensely the service was just shocking. The manger desperately needs to do some customer service training.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mlj090
sammy32England, Public Relations Manager at Sea Marge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us some very constructive feedback. I was saddened to learn that your visit was not up to our usual high standards we pride ourselves on. I can assure you that since reading your comments we have look at the service of our Afternoon Tea and made improvements and staff have been given some extra training on the delivery of our Afternoon Teas.
It’s always good to receive both positive and negative feedback and we actively encourage all of our guest s to do so. I’m really glad that you enjoyed the presentation and delights of our homemade Afternoon Tea. I must admit that with regard to offering a cold drink with an afternoon tea I can see both sides for you wishing for a cold drink and the waitress not offering you one, never the less we are always looking to make improvements, to be able to deliver the very best service to the next customer and so on. I hope that you will reconsider and visit us again and thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Holt, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The lunch we had at the Sea Marge last Sunday was fantastic. From our first visit to view the lovely Winston Room and discuss our requirements with the manager, to the moment we left, the service and attention to detail were faultless. Holly was really efficient at making all the plans, and communicating with us weeks ahead of the lunch.
On the day Sarah, and all the ladies looked after us brilliantly, nothing was too much trouble, and we had a delicious lunch. 20 of us were served promptly, and everyones meals were excellent - I don't believe a there is a better value three course menu anywhere in East Anglia. The whole thing from start to finish was perfect, and our eight year old, whose party it was, loved every minute.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank George Y
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We got married in Cromer on May 30th and, living outside the area, brought a number of guests to stay with us at the Sea Marge where we held the reception. We also held an informal buffet lunch the next day. From the day I booked until after the wedding, I can tell you that we had a wonderful experience. Holly Edwards was our co-ordinator and did a great job but all the staff were wonderful. So much for the generics...you'll want to know the details so here goes. We were able to offer our guests a choice of dinner for the wedding breakfast [set menus are also available but we liked the idea of offering a choice]. Everyone LOVED the food - not just the wedding breakfast but the other meals we enjoyed there including breakfast [well cooked, good selection etc]. The waiting staff were attentive and the meal went very smoothly. The Winston Room is lovely for a wedding. Wood paneled and with views over the garden to the sea - we felt it was a great setting and it looked immaculate with cream chairs and cloths. There are some negatives...the hotel is made of the original building and a "cottage" which are linked by a corridor. Our suite was in the cottage part and was lovely but it was a little walk and a flight of stairs away from the restaurant and bar and you have to go past the kitchens and negotiate waiting staff at times. I had to do this in my wedding dress!! The plumbing in our suite was...well...old style. I've seen pics of other rooms with very modern looking showers and bathrooms but we didn't have that. Yes, we got a claw foot bath but the shower hot water wasn't constant or had a powerful jet and the toilet roll holder kept coming apart!! I'd have swapped the bath for a great shower but that's me. There was no full length mirror in the suite...and there's me in my wedding dress and couldn't see it all!! We weren't really bothered by this but it's worth noting. All in all, we loved it. A wedding is a big thing. We wanted it to be right and I am delighted we chose the Sea Marge. They helped make MY big day. We [and a number of our guests] will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank LandM45
Overstrand, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently organised a meal with speakers in the Winston Room for 23 ladies from a local Tangent Club. The room was beautifully laid out, the food was enjoyed by all that attended. The staff at the Sea Marge were excellent and the evening went smoothly. Lovely room for private functions with views of the garden and sea. My husband and I eat regularly at the hotel and all the staff are warm & friendly, not just to the "regulars" but to everyone that visits the hotel. I can most definitely recommend a visit to The Sea Marge, full of charm and history. My brother in law from California loves to go there as he feels the peace and tranquility is a totally relaxing experience. Well worth a visit!

Room Tip: I have not stayed at the hotel as I live in the village. However I have had friends stay there and t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Queen_Of_Diamonds5
sammy32England, Director of Sales at Sea Marge Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to The Sea Marge. I have passed your lovely comments on to all the staff that were on shift that day.
Thank you once again and we hope that you will visit us again.
Felsted
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We held a two day anniversary celebration with several staying at the hotel and others joining for lunch and dinner.

Despite other reviews, the younger members of the family loved the gardens, beach and exploring the house.

Food and service was excellent, nothing was too much trouble.

The only challenge is WiFi, which needs some attention.

Thoroughly recommend, we will be back in the summer.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mulleys
sammy32England, Public Relations Manager at Sea Marge Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your special weekend, we are planning to have some giant garden games at the Sea Marge later on for this year. In answer to the Wi-Fi we did experience difficulties at all of our hotels around that date and are happy to say that normal service has resumed.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had my 50th birthday in the Winston room with 18 guests ranging in age from 20 to 99. The hotel was very busy on the night we had chosen and yet the staff couldn't have been more attentive never leaving us waiting for service. The meal was exactly as we had planned and tasted fantastic.

A memorable evening that went exactly to plan in no small part to the attention to detail and dedication shown by the staff here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rowland_Earl-Gray
I'm so pleased to have read that you had a very enjoyable special birthday dinner. I know that we all really enjoyed the evening and it was great to be involved in your celebrations. We hope you will pay us a visit again soon. Thank you
East Anglia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our four poster room was was spacious and the bathroom very warm, light and modern with spa bath. Views across the garden to the sea made it very relaxing. There was no fridge in the room so we were not able to keep anything cool. Room service was available with an added cover charge. We were on a DBB basis and booked a table in the restaurant for 7.30. Having ordered our food, it was an hour before we were served. We finally finished a two course meal at 9.30pm. The food was average and the reason given for the delay was that the bar was busy. The front of house staff are good and hard working and multi-tasking! There just aren't enough of them. Check out is before 11am which makes breakfast a bit of a rush. I would stay here again but I would request a fridge and pre order my dinner to be sure of eating at a reasonable time. I also feel checkout should be 12 pm as this is not a business hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Overstrand
The Links Country Park Hotel & Golf Club
The Cliftonville Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Walsham

Been to Sea Marge Hotel? Share your experiences!