All reviews the main house golf course mansion house tumble dryer leisure facilities full kitchen main bathroom travelzoo deal kitchen area washing machine on site restaurant living room both bedrooms lovely week small gym swimming pool self catering
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed a few nights and it was a bit of a see saw experience it seems depending on what staff are on to what level of care you care, furniture very dated and sofas in the main hall very mismatched and old also if you want hot water bring 20 kettles with you as we had none during our stay even after mentioning it daily there seem to be no solution in fact never even saw anyone trying to sort it out I believe this is a common occurrence as I know a couple of other rooms complained about this too although the house from the outside is lovely apart from all the cigarette buts littering the outside, some sort of bin needs to be sorted, it is let down by the interior and staff. Chambermaids do not appear to have a clue we came home 1 night to find an almost empty room the poor receptionist who dealt with us must have come and gone to the room about 5 times bringing us stuff that had not been left, in fact he seemed the only capable member of staff you had didn't get his name but it was the big chap with the beard he was always polite smiling helpful and efficient, out shone all other staff by miles apologised about most things and seemed to be stretched by doing others jobs. Improvement needed I think maybe a while until we come back if indeed we come back at all.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
JohnW10641, Resort Director at Broome Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to review Broome Park. The water issue is being looked into and I have spoken to my Housekeeping manager about servicing mid-week stays. Regarding the cigarette butts these get picked up daily so am surprised that this is something that you found unsatisfactory but have forwarded your comments to the relevant department. I will pass on your comments to Phil and he will be delighted to have been mentioned as a stand out member of staff.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Since I wrote the following review the Reception Manager agreed that we should not have been allocated that room and negotiated a partial refund. When asked how wheelchair gusts would cope she said that tge6 would have to stay in the six person lodges as the hotel was not suitable. On leaving I wanted the toilet. The only toilet in the public spaces was down a steep flight of stairs. My original review follows.
Given that we told the talkative receptionist that we had parked in a disabled space I was less than impressed when he cheerfully told us that our room was upstairs, not one flight, but one and a half, and then another really steep and narrrow one to the servants quarters of the ageing house. No lift at all. I walked with a stick and my partner had a visible leg brace on and yet it did not occur that this room was in no way suitable for people with a blue badge foe their car, because walking is a problem. I would never have booked had I known our deluxe suite was at the very top of the building. We were so exhausted by the stairs that we could not face collecting our luggage for two hours and after the second climb we remained trapped in the room until the morning ad we were unable to face the stairs again.
Why didn’t I complain at the time. We were celebrating our partnership anniversary , which I to,d the receptionist, though I doubt he heard because he talked at me the whole time. I was reluctant to spoil our one night stay with an argument so said nothing but I cannot comment on the hotel and grounds because I was forced to remain in the room, which was also a disappointment.
We were staying one night so after having a bath I looked for the robe which most swanky hotels have but there were none so I had the choice to re-dress at six or get into my pyjamas. Only one set of toiletries seemed mean and I sat in the bath looking at the black damp grouting surrounding my bath. Not conducive to relaxing. We were forced into room service because I could not manage the stairs down and up again and got a £5 surcharge for the privilege of being room-bound. No air con, just an extremely noisy fan which we could not tolerate.
We decided that although breakfast is available until 10. 30, you are expected to check out at 10 an or Panay a fine for every extra hour you might choose to lie in. We have decided because of the stair issue to take our bags and pack the car before breakfast so that we do not have to climb them again. If you are aged m disabled or arthritic, do not accept Denton as your given room or others in that area because quite frankly they risk a health issue because the climb is far too arduous for the infirm. I notice they say that some of the rooms on the higher floors are on,y accessible by stairs , but you have no knowledge when you book of where you are to be placed.
I still maintain that a savvy receptionist should have twigged when we mentioned being disabled that the given room was not suitable and should have consulted the manager about finding somewhere more suitable or given us the opportunity to say goodbye and book at the disabled friendly abd much cheaper Holiday Inn down the road. Looking at othe reviews the manager is always giving his number so that the poor review can be discussed. Too late. In this instance it should have been obvious to both the receptionist and the gentleman that helped us with the luggage that we were having a problem and doing something at the time to rectify it, not after a poor review is posted on Trip Advisor. The deluxe suite, with its creaky electric convector heater and grubby furnishings was not deluxe; it did not meet the cleanliness of budget hotels I have stayed in. I cannot comment on the hotel and the grounds because I never got to see them. What an apology for an anniversary suite.
Please note from previous reviews that I am fair and trend to err on the positive but in this instance it was a real let down and I feel I have let my partner down by making this booking and doing no more than staying in the hotel room. We may as well have stayed at home . At least I would be wearing a bathrobe now and not my pyjamas at eight o clock in the evening.

From my point of view it made me feel my disability affected our enjoyment of the hotel so I have no idea of what the hotel could have offered.
Room Tip: Ask whether your accommodation is at the top of the hotel. If it is and you are disabled don’t book it.

1  Thank Ada552014
JohnW10641, Resort Director at Broome Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are disappointed that you had issues getting to and from your room during your stay with us. Unfortunately we do struggle with certain room assessability due to the nature of the age and layout of the building. This is something that we are looking into and is why we state on our website and all booking sites that we have no lift for disabled guests. We do not know on receiving a booking whether a customer is disabled or not and of course if you had Informed us before your arrival that you had walking issues would have allocated you a room on the first floor or upgraded you to a lodge. I encourage all customer facing staff to chat and take interest in our guests so apologise if you feel this was not to your liking. If you required more toiletries we would happily have bought up to you and do have dressing gowns on request if you had asked. This should be stated in your room guest directory. The 10.30 breakfast time is due to the fact that we find that some customers like to eat later after check out and this gives them time to have breakfast at their leisure without packing rooms up and rushing about. Thank you for taking the time to review Broome Park and the partial refund helped a little with your overall experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked this trip through Travelzoo, the arrangements which are too complicated to list here. Needless to say we booked in with our two grandchildren, both under 2. We had a fantastic room with a double aspect, the staff could not have been more helpful. The setting is great, although we do not play golf, friends who do say this is a good place.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that your grandchildren had a good time. I will pass on your comments to the team and hope you choose to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in one of the lodges with our 7 month old and had a wonderful time. We used the stay as a base to explore some of the Kent and East-Sussex Coast, which is all very close, around 20-30 minutes away. The staff were fantastic and extremely efficient too, even though they had a big wedding going on. The Lodge was clean, comfortable and the perfect place to stay with our son.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of your lodge stay, we are glad that you had a wonderful time. The staff will be pleased that you were comfortable during your stay and that you found them to be good and efficient. We hope that you return to see us very soon

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This beautiful historic house is being completely let down by the hoteliers who run it. Its exterior conjures up an air of splendour and historical beauty, however once stepping through the door, this is not the case. There seems to be no interest in conserving or preserving this once regal building. It is aloft with cheap wall paper, dirty walls and carpet, and intricate ceilings that are beginning to crumble under the strain of a mountain of overlain paint. The reception area is depressing, including the ripped chair that sits rather insultingly behind the desk. Our room was over priced. The opulent drapes did not take away the fact that the room was in need of refurbishing. The bed revealed a dirty divan, the wardrobes old and rickety - not in a quant historic way. There were odd glasses to drink out of and the presentation of the tea and coffees did not entice us to try. The bathroom was incredibly old, dirty and the wood worn. Dust was everywhere and cheap prints and the convector heaters just ruined the ambience. The restaurant food was lovely, although took far too long to arrive (particularly at breakfast) and the staff overwhelmed. Outside there is cheap wooden fencing surrounding flower borders and the crumbling staircase that hugs the fountain is full of weeds - such a shame. We left the hotel saddened not just by the over priced room (by at least £100), but by the sheer fact that the current owners are insultingly leaving this obviously once beautiful home to slowly crumble around them. They have no regard for the house and one must question how long they can keep charging such large amounts for rooms that they do not invest in - as well as the profit they must make on the golfing side of the grounds. It is only the outside of the house that encourages guests to stay, if this is not frequently maintained, this will not be the case for long. Previous replies on trip advisor by the hotel manager have stated that the hotel is due for refurbishment, this was mentioned months ago, there was no evidence of this any where. A good start would be to make sure that the plant pots that welcome the guests to the front all match and are planted with inviting plants. Overall, the hotelier owners need to employ a local historian to advise them how to renovate this hotel to its former glory and quickly, before it looses all of its regal magic and its previous history.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank oldtimer813

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a review for Broome park. Unfortunately being a grade one listed building its not just a case of turning up and refurbishing a property that is nearly 400 years old. There are many planning meetings with British Heritage and other organisations to do anything to such a building and this unfortunately takes time. The owners are keen to do this and have designers working on a project not just to restore the property to its former glory but to enhance it. If anything was wrong with your stay myself and my management team have been on site through the duration and would happily of spoken to you and tried to rectify any problems. If you can call me on 01227 831701 it would be good to discuss any dust or operational issues as myself and head housekeeper check the rooms daily and guests seem to enjoy our teapigs tea, fresh filter coffee, fresh milk and homemade biscuits that you rarely find in hotels of this type. The plant pots on entering the property although not the same are symmetrical in appearance and all have the same small trees in which we have just changed from summer flowers, I am sorry if this was not to your liking. Thank you for you comments on the food at breakfast and dinner, I will let the chef know.