“Perfect relaxing country hotel.”

Howfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Perfect relaxing country hotel.”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Howfield Manor for three nights and we had probably the nicest hotel break we have ever had. We had originally planned just to stay one night and we managed to get this at very short notice at a very good price. However, after seeing the hotel and sampling the superb cuisine that evening we wanted to stay longer. The staff could not have been more helpful. Not only did they find accommodation for us for the following two nights, they also matched the rate we had been charged for the first. We were so impressed that we bought our daughter to eat at the hotel for her 21st birthday. It was made into a really special occasion with balloons and a cake and wonderful service in the restaurant. We then retired to the cosy lounge and sat around the roaring log fire sipping liquor coffees and playing chess. My daughter could not stop smiling throughout the whole evening and she didn't want to leave. Once again the hotel staff came up trumps and found us a room for her next to ours. What is more, she was able to sample the wonderful breakfast in the morning.
I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. It is large enough to feel comfortable, but still small enough to feel personal. All in all a wonderful find and my husband and I fully expect to return again and again.

1 Thank amandajayne1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just an overnight stay, very quiet location..staff very friendly and helpful. stayed in 4 poster bedroom, and left next day feeling refreshed.
Breakfast was good too, good selection..

1 Thank MikeM2012
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We found the staff very friendly on arrival. We got a fantastic deal and stayed in a four poster bed. The hotel has a historic background and can be classed as a country hotel...but within easy reach of Canterbury. Only 10 mins by car and you will be in the walled City. There is a cozy 'snug' lounge where you can sit round the open fire in an old Ingel Nook fire place. We spoke with other guests who were also delighted with the service and accommodation provided. We had a good choice for breakfast (inc in cost) we had 'full english' but there were other things on the menu. We then decided to go back to the restaurant for lunch. First class!!! It was served beautifully and tasted delicious.So I don't know how you could be disappointed with any aspect. A good priced set menu and we sent our compliments to the Chef. I sometime read these reviews and am confused by the contrast....but I can only say that I was 100% happy with everything. Thank you Howfield Manor!!!!

Room Tip: Just request a double bed.....and enjoy....the staf will make you so welcome.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I don't really like adding critical reviews - especially when the staff are so friendly and helpful, as in this case. I stayed here for a weekend with my family - and the staff at the reception and the restaurant were welcoming, polite and always helpful. However, the hotel itself was not quite what I expected. We were accommodated in the newer part of the hotel - the tasteless red carpeting ought to have been a clue to what was to come. The room was adequate - but there was absolutely nothing attractive about it. Everything was shabby and very very average. But we learnt that the exceptionally low temperatures that weekend had led to heating failure on the older side of the hotel - so perhaps I ought to have been grateful for the shabby box-like room in the new wing. The restaurant was not quite what one would expect in a good country-hotel - there was simply too much fat and too little flavour in the food.
Overall - all right for the money (I paid £70) for a family room - but not really the country hotel experience I had expected.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nc247
David S, General Manager at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Firstly, thank you for your comments. I would like to point out that the heating remained on during your stay and there was only a problem with the hot water in the old part of the hotel due to temperatures dropping to -15 causing the oil to gel and the boiler automatically cutting out for a few hours. This is the first time this has ever happened. I think the description of the family room as a shabby box is a bit unfair and below is a review from a guest who stayed in that room this month

"Booked at last minute and proved excellent value for money. Breakfast substantial and evening meal very good. Room and staff excellent."

This is the first time that we have had the colour of our carpet reviewed.

May I apologise that Howfield did not live up to you expectations. Visit Britain has classified us as a 3 star Country House Hotel and our facilities and prices reflect this, and we do not claim to compete with either the facilities or prices at the top end of the market. We do however pride ourselves in the team at the hotel, their standard of service and all round friendliness is commented on in most reviews and which I believe goes a long way to making Howfield a friendly and relaxing place to stay.

David Sharma Director
France
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Initial impressions were excellent. Ample free parking and the girl on reception - from eastern Europe, by the sound of her accent - looked genuinely delighted to see me! She took me up to my room, offering to carry my bag, explaining the hotel's amenities as we went. The room was very spacious, but cold, as they hadn't put the radiator on. I can understand why they do this, but the room was very chilly.

I took a hot bath to warm up a bit and noticed a pubic hair on the edge of the bath; not too vile, it was a small one, but a bit disconcerting nevertheless. The bed was very soft and extremely comfortable, with a thick quilt, clean linen and an overblanket. I soon dozed off in front of the rugby match on the large tv set at the foot of the bed.

I had booked a cover in their restaurant, which they seem to be very proud of (their chef is French, apparently). Well, this is when things started to go downhill. It was admittedly very cold outside (it was the evening they cancelled the France v Ireland match in Paris at the last minute because of the frozen pitch), but the restaurant was freezing. I saw a few people get up to fetch their coats from their rooms and I found myself warming my hands over the tiny candle in the centre of the table.

The menu looked ok, but the lighting was so weak I could barely read it. I chose what I was able to decipher; terrine of the day and lamb tagine. Service was very fast, almost suspiciously so, and I wondered how long ago the dishes had been prepared. The paté was bland and dry and the tagine way too oily. This is not French cuisine at its best and I should know - I am a UK expat who has lived in France for the last 25 years. I did not stay for desert.

They redeemed themselves at breakfast with a very nice full English, though again the room was cold and the waiter was pretty unprofessional. Example: I was served toast, but no butter. I couldn't find any on the tables, so when the waiter returned after 5 minutes, I asked for some and he said he would get some. Three minutes after that he returned, carrying a dish of butter and some more toast. Now that's impressive, I thought, my toast has been sitting on the table for 10 minutes and is cold, so he's brought me some fresh... but no, the new toast was for another table. So I had freezing butter on cold toast.

Hotels should understand that it is this kind of attention to detail that counts. Having a French cook is great, but his food is bland and oily. Clean rooms mean no pubes on the bath, please. And why not put the radiator on before the guests arrive?

It's a reasonable hotel, and I did have a relaxing stay, but I won't be going again simply because it is let down by the details.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
David S, General Manager at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Firstly thank you very much for your review, we are constantly trying to improve our service and I am always disappointed when negative points are raised. The night you stayed proved to be the coldest since we opened the hotel, a problem that obviously also caught the rugby authorities in France on the hop as well. Radiators are turned on in rooms an hour before check-in. I believe you checked in before that point and hence the radiator had not been turned on. We always try and allow guests that turn up early to check-in if their room is ready, if their room is not ready we will also try to put them in a ready room if available or if not immediately put housekeeping on to their allocated room. Unlike many other hotels we never charge for either early check-n or late check -out. I am also sorry you found the lighting poor and will check if we have had other comments on this matter and rectify any problems. We normally get excellent reviews on the cleanliness of the rooms, and can only apologise for the hair found in your bathroom, as this is not the standard I expect. I am also sorry you did not enjoy your meal, the tagine has proved popular as has the pate (with positive feedback) I will check with the chef if anything was different on the day. As far as the speed of service, as both dishes you ordered by their very nature, unlike a steak or fish, must be prepared in advance as they take hours to cook, and therefore although prepared the day before take very little time to serve and present on the day. No butter on the table is of course unacceptable and I will be following this up. I have also noted that you thought you might get hot toast to replace the cold toast, I think this is an excellent idea and will instate this as policy immediately, if such a situation regarding butter ever happens again. Thank you for your review, we are always trying to improve our guest’s experiences and take any review seriously. Please accept my apologies that your experience was not what you were expecting, and not in line with the normal experience of a guest at Howfield. I will also pass on your kind comments to Eva, who was at reception as I know such feedback means a lot to her and that she takes her responsibility as a host extremely seriously.
David Sharma

Director
Suffolk
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We needed to get away for a little break and I found this hotel on laterooms. I was a little sceptical because of the low price, and wondered what to expect on arrival. However, I should not of worried at all. It was a beautiful hotel, with exceptional staff who could not do enough for us. The breakfast room ( with an exciting addition of a covered underground well ) was equipped with all the usual juices, cereals, and pastries, with as much tea or coffee as we could possibly require, with a fantastic full english breakfast, which set us up nicely for the day ahead. Howfield Manor is situated very close to a main road, and train line, but this could hardly be heard from our room even though it was on our side of the building. Only a short drive from Canterbury city centre and not far from Ashford. Surrounding countryside was lovely, and we will definitely be returning, and have recommended it to friends and family already.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We enjoyed 2 fantastic nights in this wondeful establishment. It rates as some of the best value for money we have had in decades of travelling throughout the world. The room was spacious, well presented and very comfortable, with the bonus of a big bath. Breakfast was ample, cooked to order and nothing was too much for the staff. It was a quick easy drive into Canterbury. We highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chartham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
#5 of 16 in Canterbury
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments

Been to Howfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!