“Countryside Manor”

Howfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed two nights in early June 2013. Howfield Manor is a converted house dating back some 200 years surrounded by lovely garden grounds. We used Howfield Manor as a base to explore Canterbury, Deal, Dover and the surrounding area but equally this would be a great place to just chill out for a day or two.

Our room was spacious and clean. A very minor issue was the water pressure which was just adequate. The in-room safe is a mini safe and will only accommodate passports and small items. The free WiFi is excellent. There is ample free parking.

There is an excellent restaurant with an extensive menu. There is also a great reasonably priced bar meal menu. Breakfast was very good and included full English breakfast as well as a varied selection of cereals, juices etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pyctravellingman

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a wedding party in June 2013.

We had a family room that was light bright clean and comfortable.

Towels changed daily and nice white cotton sheets on the beds.

Staff were very helpful and accommodated all my requests and questions regarding my toddlers needs.

Breakfast was great although I feel their lunch/evening menu was very expensive for a young family.

We were lucky with the weather so we made the most of the beautiful grounds. Felt quite cut off for the weekend.

No complaints what-so-ever... One of the waiters had a very nice bottom too!

Only thing I would suggest is that they improve the water pressure on the shower!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I absolutely love places that have a historic feel, countryside atmosphere, and that deliver a not too modern yet prestige service. They are very hard to find. Well.... Ive found one!!! This is what Howfield manor is like.  Such a relaxed and welcoming place. The venue has such a genuine feel to it. The views, stunning.  The food, superb. The service excellent.
Sometimes manors are turned into large hotel establishments that become part of a chain and  lose their personal and comforting appeal, however, here I could sense that the venue had some personality and heart of its owners and not been modernised to the extent where it loses it's character and charm.  The staff must be employed on personality because although professional, they are super friendly and know when to engage into conversation and when to attend to your desires.  Chef cooks a steak like an award winner, and the whole experience for me is something I just have to recommend.  Canterbury is a LOVELY place itself. But if your travelling here to stay you have to stay here. It will fit in with with quality of the area itself.
One final thing that I did pick up on was that when I was in the local area conducting business.... I mentioned to my clients where I was staying. Their reaction???....... The best place!! Local reputation is very very good. Lovely place and will u doubtably return. Many thanks.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Howfield Manor this week, it was truly memorable.
On arrival we were greeted by a genuinely happy receptionist who asked how our journey was and even took us up to our room, carrying our luggage. This is something you rarely see in hotels of this size these days. Our room was fantastic, it had views over the gardens and we enjoyed a great nights sleep on a comfortable bed. The facilities included everything we could need. We decided to eat in the restaurant on one of the nights we stayed, and although quiet the food was superb. I enjoyed some local lamb, one of my favourite meals and I am very fussy about how it is cooked. It was really well presented and tasted amazing, The value of dinner was good and the choice of dishes and wines just right. Breakfast was a little slow but when you are faced with a decent full breakfast that includes local sausages rather than generic tasteless ones who can complain. The service in this hotel is different to most as the staff really seem happy to have you there and nothing is too much trouble. I even got given a cutting of a plant I had asked about in the garden from the gardener when I left to see if I could grow my own. Will we be back? Without doubt. Will we recommend? We already have. Top marks for a top establishment, keep up the good work

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Checked in after a long drive/Ferry from central Europe and was simply delighted. Wonderful large room, beautiful setting and the reception staff and kitche staff that greeted us couldnt have been more helpful. Free wifi, lovely meals, and stunning grounds! will be back for sure, our stay was too short.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DadofYale
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I was booked in hear by work recently and was a little worried as it was slightly out of town.i should not have worried. The setting leads to a great nights sleep. The room was all i needed along with free wifi,could not ask for more.service throughout was pleasant although at times a little relaxed. Since I was there meeting people I had a bar meal at lunchtime,the burger I had was really good.its easy to get a simple dish wrong ,they didn't .it was lovely. Although travelling as a single guest I was given a spacious double which was an added bonus. The receptionist said its hotel policy to give the best room available if possible. Might take the other half there for a weekend soon and try one of the four poster rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I am sorry to be writing this after giving a super review last year but cannot believe how a hotel can go down so much in a year. On arrival I was greeted by the hotels one saving grace Eduard. He was polite & helpful throughout the weekend. That is pretty much where the service ended. The food is now average to mediocre in the evenings and poor to terrible at breakfast. In fact our breakfast this morning took 1 hour to arrive. Some of our party even gave up and left before getting their breakfast. There are lots of small faults in the hotel now that need dealing with- the door hook from the bathroom being left on the towels, the light that only works when you touch it. All minor faults but they need work. It is such a shame to see the demise of what was a super hotel in lovely grounds.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank catbelle57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chartham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
#13 of 16 in Canterbury
Castle House Hotel
Castle House Hotel
#10 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Howfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!