“A hidden gem close to the channel crossings”

Howfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stopped at Howfield Manor Hotel for one night en route to the ferry. he hotel is just outside Canterbury with a supermarket close by and the Ashford outlet mall an easy drive.
Both rooms surprised us with their generous size , clean furnishings and well equipped with ironing board and iron, safe, trouser press, hairdryer and tea station. Large flat TV with numerous channels and comfortable furniture throughout.
Dinner was a welcome surprise with great choices, excellent quality, presentation and cooked to a perfect standard. Even the wine list was excellent.
Breakfast was generous, cooked perfectly and served promptly.
The staff were helpful and friendly and plenty of grounds to stroll in and gardens to sit in.
All in all we were pleasantly surprised to find such a hidden gem at reasonable prices so close to Dover that was not fully booked at short notice and will certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 15 was a good sized en suite double overlooking the courtyard. Room 12 is slightly smaller but...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for one night recently, the staff were all so helpful & friendly, the breakfast was superb & our room was lovely. Its located close to Canterbury & set in beautiful grounds. We hope to return again & its highly recommended by us to all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tina L
Reviewed 3 August 2014

everything about this hotel was just what we were looking for. an out of the way location, cosy and classic room, it has charm and character. we had a four poster bed in room 11 and it was lovely. I'm an insomniac and even I slept well!
the only down point I can think of is that being a vegetarian there was not a lot of choice for dinner, but on the other hand they did a vegetarian breakfast so that makes up for it. other than that I couldn't rate this hotel higher. I didn't want to leave and we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2014
David S, General Manager at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and if you do intend to stay with us again please email the hotel on hotel@howfield.net to request more Vegetarian options. We run a small restaurant with freshly made food rather than buying in frozen options. If we know in advance the chef will be more than happy to provide tailor any dishes to address dietary requirements, whether adding extra vegetarian options or providing glutton or dairy free courses.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay in The Garden of England

David Sharma

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Enjoyed a really lovely wedding here where the highlight was definitely the food. It was a cut above the usual plastic chicken - really nicely cooked and presented. The grounds are stunning; the room felt a tad dated, but was actually very comfortable and breakfast was also very good. Your guests will love you for booking your wedding here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a lovely hotel, wanted a nice hotel near Canterbury as we had family over from Australia, they have travelled all over the world and this is the best hotel they have ever stayed in, character, charm, service and price, it will take a lot of beating, some will have better facilities, but as a total package this is just a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a four poster room, beware the doors are really low.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank phil d
paulsharma, Director of Sales at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Phil D
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It is a very good summary on what we hope to offer. We may not be modern & shiny but hope that charm & quirkiness are what our guests are looking for.

Paul

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently went to a wedding here. The rooms were immaculate and the food was amazing with the perfect portion size. The staff on hand were discreet and quickly knew to hover near my husband with the canapés. Apart from that I never noticed them flitting around making sure everything was flowing - experts clearly!

Only down side was that more staff were needed on the bars (Scottish guests - inc. my husband! didn't like a long wait for plonk) They had some local beers that went down well with the ale aficionados.

Gorgeous building and clever use of original and extended parts of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TudorLass
Reviewed 9 May 2014

With my work I stay in many hotels and this is the first time that I feel the need to write a review. I found this hotel as my usual hotel was booked
The service I received was outstanding. I had added a note to my booking about my dairy allergy to which I received a response the next day to let me know it was not a problem.
When I arrived the receptionist was very friendly and informed me that they had got in special non dairy produce for me not only that Pete the chef had prepared a full menu for me to choose from. My meal was
delicious. They offered soya milk for tea in my room. The room was spacious and lovely and clean. Breakfast was a feast. Needless to say I will look forward to staying again

• Stayed: May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chartham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
#11 of 16 in Canterbury
Canterbury Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
#8 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Howfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!