All reviews lovely grounds four poster bed wedding coordinator trouser press wedding venue room was spacious and clean lovely hotel park and ride evening meal and breakfast uneven floors old building every member of staff an overnight stay short drive visiting canterbury full english breakfast stayed for two nights
Reviewed 20 February 2017

The place is a maze of uneven, angular floors, creaking boards, and bits that lookout of place. But Alexander the Great himself could've rested here after a month's raping and pillaging, so if it's THAT old, the usual rating scale doesn't apply. So forgive the gap under the door, the dodgy windows, the fact that it is totally un -disabled friendly, the dangerously uncontrollable shower (Room 6) and the things that go bump in the night, and the Manor is a wonderful place to stay.

We dined twice...fabulous restaurant and great service from Mary, and the all-in full-on breakfast - included in the stay, is a great bonus. Top quality.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Great hotel, fantastic food, including breakfast. Room very comfortable and cosy. Staff excellent, will definitely stay again, we will return in late spring early summer when the flowers are in Bloom. I think it will be stunning. See you all again soon. Thank you.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2017

If you want a small hotel with excellent service, comfort and high quality food then I fully recommend Howfield Manor. We have enjoyed our last 2 Christmases here and found the overall experience exactly what we wanted. First class food and service and a character room with lots of history. We wanted peace and quiet and this is exactly what we got, whether it was taking a walk in the delightful grounds (We must try it in the summer to see it in bloom) or sitting by the (excellent imitation) log fire by the grand fireplace in the lounge. The staff go out of their way to help without being intrusive. We decided it was just the place to go for a short Valentine's day and we were not wrong. We've had another lovely stay and this has become our favourite hotel in the south east.

The hotel is located 2 miles from Canterbury but this is no problem. About a mile away is Park and Ride which lets you park your car all day and up to 6 people can ride in and out of central Canterbury on the bus (every 7 minutes) as much as they wish for a mere £3 total. What a bargin!

Canterbury is an interesting city and an excellent shopping centre. We will certainly be coming back and will be staying at Howfield Manor.

Room Tip: Character rooms with uneven floors from the original manor (our choice) or modern rooms built in the 1980s.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2017

I booked this hotel as a birthday present for my husband as I never know what to buy him but I misjudged how far away from home it was - as it took us almost 3 hours to get there, nor did I anticipate how awful the weather was going to be over the weekend we decided to visit. So it didn't start well - all in all though we had a good time especially snuggled up to the open fire in the bar area with our local pale ale. I'd booked the four-poster bedroom as a treat and whilst it was a nice big room it was dated, and not the 'luxury' I'd imagined for what it cost. I feel it was rather expensive for the distinctly average standard of the room, especially the quality of the duvet and the bedsheets and it must be said the walls/doors seemed to be paper thin as we could hear most of the comings and goings of the couple in the next room. I stay in different hotels on a regular basis as I travel a lot with my job and I've stayed in far better hotels for less than half the price! The staff were attentive and friendly which can make or break your stay and the evening meals were tasty and the portions large but sadly a couple of very disappointing breakfasts. Probably wouldn't stay here again on this basis.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight, room was clean but dated, bathroom a little odd as it all seemed to be moulded plastic. Bed was comfortable though and I slept fine.

Food on the other hand was excellent, starter, main, desert, breakfast, I couldn't fault any of it.

Staff friendly, free wifi and parking.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo