All reviewslovely groundsfour poster bedwedding coordinatortrouser presswedding venueroom was spacious and cleanlovely hotelpark and rideevening meal and breakfastuneven floorsold buildingevery member of staffan overnight stayshort drivevisiting canterburyfull english breakfaststayed for two nights
Reviewed 29 April 2017

The hotel looks beautiful from outside. The grounds are very picturesque and parking is excellent. Staff is very polite and offered help with the luggage as there is no lift. The room was very warm and so was the bathroom. TV and internet are fine. The views from the room are great. The towels are the best I have ever seen (absolutely fantastic!). The bed-linen was crispy white and very clean.
The restaurant looked nice and was with some features. The bread and the sausage were very good quality and fresh fruit was a nice bonus. However everything else was disappointing.The minute we walked in I was disappointed. The carpet and the stairs looked like in a one star hotel. The drapes in a room were nice, but one window had a hanging down valance. The bed looked fine, but the cushions and cover were dirty. The pillows were very clean, but not comfortable. The carpet leading to the bathroom was worn out and also dirty. The area around the toilet was damp and when we took shower I felt like I was on the plane which was about to take off, as there was so much noise and vibration. Obviously the pump for the shower (very powerful) needs to be seen to and I reported this. The air conditioning in the bathroom was also very noisy. There was no herbal tea provided. I looked forward to a very good breakfast, but the bacon was old and overdone therefore hard and cold (it must have been from the previous day). scrambled eggs had dark bits in them, and when I asked the waitress what was it, she explained it was pepper. Sorry-no way! The mushrooms (two) were horrible and so was half of the tomato. The tea was weak and luck-warm. I have never had such a disappointing breakfast in my life! Coming just back from the Continent where everything was fantastic and the breakfasts were so variable and plentiful and everywhere every room was spotlessly clean and bright, it was a shock to my system! Due to my nature of work I travelled a lot and visited over 1000 hotels and I feel sorry for the person on a reception. He was very apologetic and said they can learn and improve from criticism, but we stayed in room number 5 which is the old part of the building and therefore they are limited on what they can do. Well this part needs a lot of TLC and I would never return, or could recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Avoid room number 5
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

We got married here last year and had the most perfect day so we decided to stay here last night to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.
We had a gorgeous room overlooking the grounds, a wonderful dinner, beautifully presented and a hearty breakfast. The hotel is a wonderful Manor house with lots of areas inside and out to sit and enjoy the surroundings. The staff as ever were welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

If you want to stay near Dover before taking the ferry, which was our case yesterday, don't hesitate to stay in this very welcoming place.
Authentic, charming, typical are some of the words that are coming spontaneously in mind to describe very quickly this very British hotel.
Staff is very attentive and skilled to accompany you during your stay.
Cooking in restaurant is well done with local products.
Bedrooms that are simple and functional, could be probably improved in some aspects of their decoration and facilities. But it is globally OK if we consider the average cost to stay there.
If you like to take advantage of the surrounding countryside, don't hesitate to open slightly your window during the night. Indeed you will hear charming birds songs in the early morning to favour a pleasant wake-up.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2017

We booked for one night after seeing a show at The Marlowe.
The room was comfortable but the TV and radio didn't work (not essential I know for one night but surely a basic when checking a room for guests). We had the smallest room in the hotel, it was warm and cosy.
The breakfast was nice and there was a good choice of food and beverages.
When we checked out we where told that if we were to book again we would be given better rates and a better room.
Would recommend using the taxi service from the hotel to the city centre.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Fabulous location, old character manor, creaky floor boards, uneven floors, different sized doors brilliant. The staff from check in onwards were fantastic and could not do enough for us. The breakfast was ok, the carvery was fabulous. The rooms were OK ,dated and the bathrooms not the greatest but clean. Our bed was comfortable but against a single fixed headboard and no bed side table one side so obviously used as a single . (Room 4)The other rooms were more spacious but dated .
Overall we had a great time and I cannot thank the staff enough. Would recommend for a celebration. Great location , loads of parking.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family