All reviewslovely groundsfour poster bedwedding coordinatortrouser presswedding venueroom was spacious and cleanlovely hotelpark and rideevening meal and breakfastuneven floorsold buildingevery member of staffan overnight stayshort drivevisiting canterburyfull english breakfaststayed for two nights
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

We chose Howfield as overnight stop before catching ferry next day from nearby Dover. This location was convenient for ust 30 mins to ferry terminal and near to park & ride for afternoon visit to Canterbury. Hotel and largish room 10 fine but we were disappointed with choices in evening menu for such a well appointed hotel. As another reviewer recently mentioned....needs greater creativity. We found reception staff and waitress polite and helpful.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

The grounds are beautiful and the building is beautiful. Our room was on the ground floor looking out onto the grounds however After being there for a few minutes and starting to change for he shower someone walked past the window ! There were no net/lace curtains and nothing to stop anyone looking in our room which was next to a footpath so we had to keep the blackout curtains closed the entire time day and night, it was like living in a tomb as the lighting in the room wasn't very strong or bright. The bathroom was okay, the grouting was getting a bit old and could do with a refresh and the shower would go from freezing to boiling and I burnt myself.

We called ahead to let the hotel know we were vegan as they had a very upmarket restaurant "the old well" and on arrival we received a handwritten list of what could be offered. It went as follows

Fish and chips (not vegan ??)
Blue cheese salad without cheese (so plain salad)

We would have expected more from an upmarket restaurant, what a lack of creativity.

We were assured we would be able to have breakfast and the continental breakfast would be suitable. It wasn't. Pastries, yoghurt and cereal and a tiny plate of melon. We waited in the dining room and when no one came I went to reception and the gentleman was very brisk with me. The waitress had no idea about the request and informed us they were out of soymilk. Good day to be out when you have been told in advance that 2 of your guests will be vegan. In the end we were offered quirk sausages with beans mushroom and tomato which actually sounded quite nice.

However the sausages were quorn which usually contain egg. I stressed to the waitress I am intolerant to egg and she said there was no egg in the saussage.

We were served a tiny portion of beans 2 tomatoes and 2 tiny mushrooms and after eating the sausages my stomach started to cramp up and my suspicions that the waitress didn't care or didn't bother to look were confirmed. I also asked for a fruit plate that didn't contain pineapple as I am allergic which never came.

The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are nice but the little finishing touches that make a stay special were vastly lacking.

In modern society many people don't eat wheat, gluten, dairy, are vegan vegetarian and it is essential to be accommodating. Really disappointing

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Georgie D
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel was extremely good. Every aspect of our stay was brilliant. The food in the restaurant was fantastic as was the breakfast. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and extremely helpful. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2017

The hotel looks beautiful from outside. The grounds are very picturesque and parking is excellent. Staff is very polite and offered help with the luggage as there is no lift. The room was very warm and so was the bathroom. TV and internet are fine. The views from the room are great. The towels are the best I have ever seen (absolutely fantastic!). The bed-linen was crispy white and very clean.
The restaurant looked nice and was with some features. The bread and the sausage were very good quality and fresh fruit was a nice bonus. However everything else was disappointing.The minute we walked in I was disappointed. The carpet and the stairs looked like in a one star hotel. The drapes in a room were nice, but one window had a hanging down valance. The bed looked fine, but the cushions and cover were dirty. The pillows were very clean, but not comfortable. The carpet leading to the bathroom was worn out and also dirty. The area around the toilet was damp and when we took shower I felt like I was on the plane which was about to take off, as there was so much noise and vibration. Obviously the pump for the shower (very powerful) needs to be seen to and I reported this. The air conditioning in the bathroom was also very noisy. There was no herbal tea provided. I looked forward to a very good breakfast, but the bacon was old and overdone therefore hard and cold (it must have been from the previous day). scrambled eggs had dark bits in them, and when I asked the waitress what was it, she explained it was pepper. Sorry-no way! The mushrooms (two) were horrible and so was half of the tomato. The tea was weak and luck-warm. I have never had such a disappointing breakfast in my life! Coming just back from the Continent where everything was fantastic and the breakfasts were so variable and plentiful and everywhere every room was spotlessly clean and bright, it was a shock to my system! Due to my nature of work I travelled a lot and visited over 1000 hotels and I feel sorry for the person on a reception. He was very apologetic and said they can learn and improve from criticism, but we stayed in room number 5 which is the old part of the building and therefore they are limited on what they can do. Well this part needs a lot of TLC and I would never return, or could recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Avoid room number 5
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

We got married here last year and had the most perfect day so we decided to stay here last night to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.
We had a gorgeous room overlooking the grounds, a wonderful dinner, beautifully presented and a hearty breakfast. The hotel is a wonderful Manor house with lots of areas inside and out to sit and enjoy the surroundings. The staff as ever were welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple