“Fantastic Pub, Amazing Food, Amazing service!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Artichoke

The Artichoke
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Chartham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Pub, Amazing Food, Amazing service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Yesterday, After a lovely long walk we stopped off at this beautiful country pub. On arriving we were greeted by a lovely young lady, with a fantastic smile which is very rare, she made us feel very welcome despite the pub being incredibly busy. We sat in the garden and enjoyed a lovely lunch, we had two ploughman's, just what we needed after our exhausting walk! We will definitely be coming back and will bring some friends, I would advise booking as the pub is very busy and you do not want to miss out. See you soon!!!

1 Thank John B

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“expected a good lunch......didn't get it!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Walked the Great Stour Way from Canterbury to Chartham (3miles) at the end of which is a permanent sign to The Artichoke....what better way to finish the walk than with lunch and a drink there? Wrong! We arrived - admittedly at a busy time - and sat at a table only to be told that it was reserved (nothing to indicate this). When asked where we could sit we were told it was all reserved. I enquired about the garden but was told there would be an hour and twenty minutes before a table there would be available. However, a lovely gentleman drinking at the bar said there were plenty of tables in the garden to take our drinks out. Whilst we were having our drinks other parties came out with table numbers for food - I asked again at the bar and was given short shrift - the bar maid certainly had attitude! As a result we caught the next train back to Canterbury and a local hostelry benefited from our trade. Definitely will not be going back to The Artichoke!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
daniel r, Owner at The Artichoke, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear adriennes404

I am sorry to read about your bad experience yesterday, I was aware of this situation and we had booked a table for you at 2pm, as you was aware it was extremely busy and all tables where booked when you arrived. There must have been a miss communication regarding eating in the garden. The waiting time was for the table inside which we thought you required, I appolisige for this mis understanding and hope you do return to try the pub, I will advise that booking is advisable. If you would like to discuss further please do not hesitate to phone and ask for myself.
Many thanks
Daniel Ray
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Delightful Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this restaurant as we were in the area. Beautiful country pub in a lovely village. Large delicious portions of food. Loved the Stilton and broccoli soup with warm crusty bread. Everyone in our party loved their dishes. Staff very friendly and polite. Cannot wait to go back.

Visited June 2014
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Took a party of 12 for dinner in March 3 children 9 adults. Staff very friendly and tables made available within 20 minutes (were booked in advance)
requested children food to come asap unfortunately arrived same time as adults food and to larger portion for the children. For myself and not speaking for others food was dry and not very palatable some others said that they would not bother using the Artichoke again.
In general would suggest that people make up there own mind they may find it OK

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
daniel r, Owner at The Artichoke, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear tony p

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience on your visit. I can only appolisige for the children's meals not coming out as requested, as for the size of meal, we are renowned for the size of our portions and if requested smaller portions are available. I'm sorry that you found your food dry, could I ask what you had for your meal and was this brought to our attention at the time of your visit. Could I ask why a review was posted 3 months after your visit. Please contact the pub and ask for myself so I am able to correct his problem and hope you would try the artichoke again
Many thanks
Daniel Ray
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Good honest British fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I love this restaurant - the food is freshly cooked and tasty at a good price. The staff are lovely and the place is very busy. Although we often turn up on the off chance of a table, to avoid disappointment you should book. I promise if you visit you will not be disappointed.